Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What comics are you currently reading?

Started by LJP, December 25, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lara the Lover and the Fighter

You just reminded me that I need to read 100 bullets!
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Just Lara on January 17, 2014, 02:10:45 AM
You just reminded me that I need to read 100 bullets!

I'm almost finished reading it. This is the fourth time I've read it. It allways suprises me how it draws me in. also I notice things I didn't pick up on during previous readings. DMZ is another good read, I forgot about it.
Be the change you wish to see in the world
  •  

Ms Grace

I don't know who that is in your current pic Lydia, but she sure has an impressive rack! What's even more impressive is how it stays contained so perfectly in that meagre piece if clothing that supports it all... ;)

Ah yes, comic book boobs, the most common super power of so many ladies! ;D
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 25, 2014, 01:00:52 PM
I don't know who that is in your current pic Lydia, but she sure has an impressive rack! What's even more impressive is how it stays contained so perfectly in that meagre piece if clothing that supports it all... ;)

Ah yes, comic book boobs, the most common super power of so many ladies! ;D

:laugh: I agree Grace. Sometime I wonder if most comic artist are thirteen year old boys. It's deathbird, an x-men villan. I allways liked her. For some reason the avian theme appeals to me.
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: LJP on January 25, 2014, 01:43:26 PM
:laugh: I agree Grace. Sometime I wonder if most comic artist are thirteen year old boys.

It's a very male dominated industry, both in terms of creators and readership. And there's one thing most guys like... and "the bigger the better"... ;)

QuoteIt's deathbird, an x-men villan. I allways liked her. For some reason the avian theme appeals to me.

I used to fanatically read the Uncanny X-Men waaaay back in the 1980s. In those days there was only one title (shocking, I know). Then came the New Mutants, then X-Factor (along with the first resurrection of Jean Grey) and then things got way too complicated and Marvel went a bit nuts and unstable and I stopped reading anything Marvel through the 1990s and a lot of the 2000s. Every time I tried dipping back in to the X universe it was too large and complicated and always doing mass crossovers and mega events. I did read Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and am reading the new all women X-Men title but there's a lot of characters I have little idea about.
Grace
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 25, 2014, 02:07:43 PM
It's a very male dominated industry, both in terms of creators and readership. And there's one thing most guys like... and "the bigger the better"... ;)

I used to fanatically read the Uncanny X-Men waaaay back in the 1980s. In those days there was only one title (shocking, I know). Then came the New Mutants, then X-Factor (along with the first resurrection of Jean Grey) and then things got way too complicated and Marvel went a bit nuts and unstable and I stopped reading anything Marvel through the 1990s and a lot of the 2000s. Every time I tried dipping back in to the X universe it was too large and complicated and always doing mass crossovers and mega events. I did read Joss Whedon's Astonishing X-Men and am reading the new all women X-Men title but there's a lot of characters I have little idea about.

I'm with you on the crossovers. Imo they restrict they writers to stay within a larger story. That keeps them from crafting their own stories. They take a back seat to whatever the crossover is about. The days of Claremont crafting a story over years is long gone.
  •  

Ms Grace

There's definitely too much editorial interference these days, at both DC and Marvel. I know they need to sell books to stay afloat but they seem to be shooting for lower and lower common denominators and these stupid mega crossovers are the worst example of that. At the moment DC has this Forever Evil thing going on, one of the titles I read has become enmeshed in a massive crossover over five months with four or five other crappy titles that I don't read and won't read on principle. Seriously considering dropping the title I am reading because what's the point in getting only one fifth of the story? :-\
Grace
  •  

TerriT

Ok, I promised to post my Amanda Conner sketches and here they finally are. These are not proper scans of the artwork, so there is perspective distortion and stuff, but I haven't had a chance to scan them at work and one is on the wall anyway. It took me years to get these. I have a quirky head sketch in my book. A Shehulk piece in my book that I was lucky enough to get at SDCC '11. A large Catwoman that is pretty much my holy grail. I got to meet her and Jimmy for a while when I picked out that piece. She had brought a couple of large pieces to SDCC and I got there early enough to get one of them. It was just black and white ink when I picked it out and she was coloring them at night. I love that Catwoman piece. It's from SDCC 2010. In 2012 she did no sketches at all as it was right in the middle of her Silk Specter book. Then at last years I got to hang out with her and Jimmy for a while at an off-site location which was so freaking cool. I had been pestering Jimmy on Twitter and finally tracked them down at a bar that was hosting Trixster that year. When I found them, there was nobody else around. So he was doing an interview for a while and I got to talk to Amanda and then she did the Black Widow piece. It takes about an hour for her to do one and I just can't believe we were just hanging out at a table talking about stuff while she drew it. Totally epic and once in a life time opportunity.

Anyways, it'd be cool if anyone else has some artwork they'd like to share. I love to see what other people have collected. Especially if you have an Adam Hughes piece!
  •  

Ms Grace

Very cool - love that She Hulk pic, but they're all awesome!
Grace
  •  

Danniella

My current Comic Reading List

Manhattan Projects: Amazing, one of my favorites right now.

Saga: Very, very good, imaginative and has a really good sense of humor, but updates seem to take foreeeeeever.

Y: The Last Man: Cause all apocalypses should be a female only apocalypse.

American Vampire: Recommended this by a friend while planning a character for a "Vampire the Masquerade" game, it got under my skin now, Pearl Jones why can't I stop reading about you? <3

Sandman: Old but sooooo good

Batman Court of Owls: Because what is a read list without a little Bats thrown in ^^
You say "Using humor as a defence mechanism" like it's a BAD thing!

•  

LJP

wonder woman-Humberto Ramos

hawkgirl-Cully Hammer

dreadfull duchess and some wolf man from the bazaar(Courtney Crumrin)-Ted Naifeh. Love these books. one of my favs. Ted and his girlfrnd were super nice everytime we met them. One year he wasn't doing sketches , but did duchess for me.

steam punk girl-Jason sikes?  It was a lot of fun. we sat together I told him things I wanted. He suggested things. super cool guy and very nice.
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote[/URL]

wonder woman-Humberto Ramos

All very nice, very nice indeed! I really like that Wonder Woman, although looking at the size of her bust vs size of her waist it's clear she has a spine made of admantium! ;)
Grace
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 29, 2014, 01:11:35 PM
All very nice, very nice indeed! I really like that Wonder Woman, although looking at the size of her bust vs size of her waist it's clear she has a spine made of admantium! ;)

Yeah she is endowed. That's ramos tho, kinda anime exaggerated style. A person I know got this sketch. He asked for non superhero. Ramos' English is not great. He came back and it was wonder woman. He kept complaining on way home. I said I would love to have it. I will pay you what you paid him. He jumped at the offer. Then came back later and wanted it to sell on ebay.
  •  

Freya

Here's a sample of some of the illustrations I have collected over the years.

Commission by Tim Bradstreet and Color by Steve Firchow

Commission by Dan Norton (Art Director, NEW Thunder Cats)

Illustration by Tomm Coker

Illustration by Romano Molenaar

Photo of Illustration in my sketch book by Joel Gomez

I have many more, but these are the only ones I have electronic versions of right now.

Freya

•  

LJP

Thx for sharing those Freya. They are all really cool. I think I like the Dan Norton one the best tho.
  •  

GRRR Im so jealous! First Im jealous of all the goodies you all have.  Second Im jealous that my artwork never looks like that. lol
  •  

Freya

Quote from: LJP on March 13, 2014, 11:36:59 AM
Thx for sharing those Freya. They are all really cool. I think I like the Dan Norton one the best tho.

Thanks Lydia, I'm happy to have the opportunity to share ;D

I'm sure Dan would appreciate the compliment considering the company.  He's now working for Riot Games and doing animation for League of Legends.

Freya
  •  

Freya

Quote from: Lara the Lover and the Fighter on March 13, 2014, 12:23:10 PM
GRRR Im so jealous! First Im jealous of all the goodies you all have.  Second Im jealous that my artwork never looks like that. lol

Lara,

I've just been every fortunate to fall into friendships with people in the industry, so I have collected some pretty cool things, but nothing is better than the experiences.

I think you are doing just fine with your art, you're far more capable than me.  I have no artistic talents.  I probably repeating what you've already heard, but if you want to be an artist, then you need to draw or do whatever media you want, all the time.  You can only get better at it.  Find your style, make it yours and excel at it. And draw lots of real life, it makes you better at everything.  I'm just repeating what friends tell my daughter that wants to be an artist.

From what I have heard about being an industry artist, it's not about being a great artist.  It's about being a good enough artist that is consistent and fast.  Those people are considered gold.

Other than that, do what you want, it's about you anyway  :D

Freya
  •  

Quote from: Freya on March 13, 2014, 08:54:35 PM
Lara,

I've just been every fortunate to fall into friendships with people in the industry, so I have collected some pretty cool things, but nothing is better than the experiences.

I think you are doing just fine with your art, you're far more capable than me.  I have no artistic talents.  I probably repeating what you've already heard, but if you want to be an artist, then you need to draw or do whatever media you want, all the time.  You can only get better at it.  Find your style, make it yours and excel at it. And draw lots of real life, it makes you better at everything.  I'm just repeating what friends tell my daughter that wants to be an artist.

From what I have heard about being an industry artist, it's not about being a great artist.  It's about being a good enough artist that is consistent and fast.  Those people are considered gold.

Other than that, do what you want, it's about you anyway  :D

Freya

Thanks!  I appreciate that.  Im drawing this crazy dragon as I type this. lol
  •  

Freya

Quote from: Lara the Lover and the Fighter on March 16, 2014, 05:56:05 AM

Thanks!  I appreciate that.  Im drawing this crazy dragon as I type this. lol

Post it when you're done!
  •