Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What comics are you currently reading?

Started by LJP, December 25, 2013, 07:34:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ms Grace

I love Amanda Conner's art work, I heard she was only doing the covers and contributing to the writing though. If you tell me she is doing the inside art I will pick up the trades in a flash. That's how fickle I am.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Freya

Amanda is doing the covers, I believe Amanda is working with the artists doing the interiors.

It's not much of a surprise that she would be working with Jimmy on the story.  They are so close that many of us didn't realize they weren't married until they actually did finally tie the knot.

Freya
  •  

LJP

Quote from: Ms Grace on December 02, 2014, 09:38:39 AM
Gotham Academy looks promising even if it is just a blatant attempt to milk more from the Bat franchise. The new team on Batgirl looks like the comic will be a lot more fun. I'm sure Gail Simone was writing to an editorial directive to make Babs all grim and gritty but most of her stories were not all that enjoyable for it.

Gotham Academy was really good. It's hard to describe. I get a strong Harry Potter/Mystery vibe out of it. Batgirl has been really fun. Both books very character driven, spotlight and supporting characters feel three dimensional. Gotham by midnight is really good. They don't feel like cash grabs yet. Both are just starting. Wait for the trades , by then you will have a good idea if they are worth your time.
Be the change you wish to see in the world
  •  

AttackDonut

Are we counting webcomics as "comics", or strictly dealing with print material?
I think I am cursed when it comes to comics, while I didn't read much in the mainstream, every little oddball comic I thought was interesting, stopped being published a few issues after I started reading it...
And it's running that way with webcomics as well (Alien love Predator, which I admit must be difficult to do, as it's action figures, photography and lots of photoshop)  but the one print comic that seems to still be around is "The Sixth Gun", a sort of Weird West style that's been very good.
  •  

LJP

Web / print whatever you want to talk about is fine :)  . I've thought about checking out Sixth Gun. It sounds like something I would like.
  •  

AttackDonut

I used to play role-playing games where we were the superheros, and the plots always seemed better than the mainstream comic ones. What I'd like to find is a superhero comic where the main characters (or even the bad guys) are 100% believable, where they made mistakes, learn, grow, react, feel pain and sadness, grief, etc. The show Arrow is amazing in this regards, the main character is fully flesh and blood and makes bad choices, and has to live with the consequences. Not seen that in mainstream comics (but then again, I don't read many so I could have easily missed them)
The Sixth Gun is worth tracking down, I enjoy it immensely. Also ones like Hellblazer, the main character really is a screwup, and the issues tie into one another, so there is a real sense of history about John Constantine. 
  •  

Freya

Quote from: AttackDonut on December 06, 2014, 05:01:35 PM
Also ones like Hellblazer, the main character really is a screwup, and the issues tie into one another, so there is a real sense of history about John Constantine.

The Hellblazer cover of Constantine with a birthday cake with cigarettes instead of candles is my favorite.  The artist used his brother-in-law as a model for Hellblazer covers.  Unfortunately his brother-in-law passed away a few years ago after struggling with life, drugs, and alcohol.
  •  

jesseofthenorth

*kicks dust off thread*
So anyone still reading?

Marvel fan(mostly) here. Reading: Secret Avengers, All New Hawkeye, sadly awaiting the last issue of Fraction's Hawkeye, and trying to get up the nerve to read the Losers. Thinking about buying The Sandman comics (looking for feedback on that one). Loved the Hawkeye vs Deadpool series. Avoiding everything to do with Cap and Iron Man. And trying to keep from freaking about Secret Wars.
Still trying to find all the facets of my identity now that I am firmly and forever out of my closet. The question is: who am I really?
  •  

SarahMarie1987

Um hi there! (waves)

So I'm going to try to break down my pull list for you. Based by comic company and title.

DC Comics

Batgirl (I started with the New 52 stuff. Couldn't get into it when Gail Simone was writing. The tone was way too dark. Love the new writing & art team on it. LOVE how LGBT friendly it is.)

Gotham Academy (Saw this above when browsing through the thread. It is good for me so far. Feels very much like a mix between Scooby Doo and Harry Potter. A lot of fun.)

Wonder Woman (Not sure how to feel about the new creative team yet.)

Marvel

Thor (This is the new Thor. Who is a woman. And she is AWESOME!!!)

Saga (So good!)

The Wicked And The Divine (Really good as well. A little confusing since my Gods and Goddesses knowledge is a little rusty.)

That is it. Anyone else reading these books?
"I'm learning to be brave in my beautiful mistakes"- Pink
  •  

Valwen

Ok quick update I read a lot of comics so lets see

Thor yes go new thor

Ms Marvel its like spiderman for a new generation a teen dealing with life and super heroing.

Saga just ya its saga so well writen.

Angela: in summary "a norse goddess raised by mercenary angels who will soon embark on a quest to Hel itself to rescue the soul of the transgender woman she loves from the eternal damnation she condemned her to" "ok that plot is actually coming soon but still"

Constantine/Hellblazer he is suck a jerk that is fantastic

a few x-men and avengers titles nothing special except all new all gay ice man.

and my current favorite that I am so sad has finished its run.
Loki: agent of Asgard, fantastic all through its 17 issues a story of a villian trying to break the chains of fate, to change who they where and who they will become with the final story arc dedicated to starting a new life, holding on to what you love about yourself and writing a new story for your life, fighting the gravity of your past that threatens to drag you back into the role you are trying to leave behind and setting aside your fears, your doubts and your depression to become a better you. All this told from the point of view of a pansexual gender fluid god.

What is a Lie when it's at home? Anyone?
Is it the depressed little voice inside? Whispering in my ear? Telling me to give up?
Well I'm not giving up. Not for that part of me that hates myself. That part wants me to wither and die. not for you. Never for you.  --Loki: Agent of Asgard

Serena
What is a Lie when it's at home? Anyone?
Is it the depressed little voice inside? Whispering in my ear? Telling me to give up?
Well I'm not giving up. Not for that part of me that hates myself. That part wants me to wither and die. not for you. Never for you.  --Loki: Agent of Asgard

Started HRT Febuary 21st 2015
First Time Out As Myself June 8th 2015
Full Time June 24th 2015
  •  

SarahMarie1987

•  

LJP

just finished a bunch of tpbs from anazon. gotham academy 1, black science 3, and saga 5. all were great.

gotham academy-loved it ,one of my fav books out right now. ending has me super excited for next story arc.
black science-even tho i liked 1&2 more 3 was solid. it is allways interesting to see what the next reality adds to story.
saga-great, would be fav if not for gotham academy. someone from hbo plz make a saga show.

looking forward to new sex criminals tpb. anyone have any cool books everyone should be reading?
  •  

SarahMarie1987

Quote from: LJP on September 24, 2015, 09:07:42 AM
just finished a bunch of tpbs from anazon. gotham academy 1, black science 3, and saga 5. all were great.

gotham academy-loved it ,one of my fav books out right now. ending has me super excited for next story arc.
black science-even tho i liked 1&2 more 3 was solid. it is allways interesting to see what the next reality adds to story.
saga-great, would be fav if not for gotham academy. someone from hbo plz make a saga show.

looking forward to new sex criminals tpb. anyone have any cool books everyone should be reading?

Gotham Academy is wonderful! I love how it is structured. And I think you mentioned it up in the thread that there is a like a Harry Potter/ Scooby Doo vibe to the book? It is such a fun and interesting book!

And a thousand times yes to Saga! Love that book! :-)
  •  

LJP

i was bored so stopped in lcbs n picked up some books on a whim.

plutonna#2- jeff lemire,sorta stand by me with superheroes thrown in. i'm reserving judgement til i read trade, still looks promising.

paybacks#1-superhero repo parody, i really enjoyed it. quirky humor with cartoony violence.

spidergwen#1-really like character. feels like it's own thing when it could have easliy been a cheesy what if. marvel has been doing some cool stuff with there female characters, hope they keep it up.

karnak#1-warren ellis is one of my fav writers. i picked this up because of him and i really enjoyed it. not familiar with karnak or inhumans, having said that i'm glad i picked it up.

so has anyone read anything cool lately?
  •  

LJP

Quote from: SarahMarie1987 on September 25, 2015, 01:12:45 PM
Gotham Academy is wonderful! I love how it is structured. And I think you mentioned it up in the thread that there is a like a Harry Potter/ Scooby Doo vibe to the book? It is such a fun and interesting book!

And a thousand times yes to Saga! Love that book! :-)

now that 100 bullets is getting traction i'm hoping someone picks up saga. i can only imagine how great saga would be on hbo.
  •  

RedLila

Ajin - Demi-Human

Its pretty weird so just up my alley
  •  

LJP

Quote from: RedLila on December 12, 2015, 12:05:25 AM
Ajin - Demi-Human

Its pretty weird so just up my alley

haven't read that book, i'll check it out.
  •  

big kim

Viz, not quite as funny as it used to be. If easily offended best not read it.
The Unforgiving, I heard Within Temptation's CD based on the comic long before reading it. Very dark but I like it and the even darker video introductions
  •  

LJP

so many interesting and uniques books being made right now. it's a great time to be a comic book fan.
  •  

Tilly

My favorites comic book Spider-Man with Tobey McGuire  Batman with Val Kilmer  Walking Dead  also read online free  comic Hellocomic.com
Comicmad.com  :)
  •