Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

What's "Non-Transitioning" To You?

Started by LearnedHand, December 28, 2013, 10:11:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

helen2010

Quote from: JoanneB on December 29, 2013, 03:53:33 PM
I am philosophically with Tanya on "Transitioning" breaking down to if you are questioning, taking any sort of action you are changing states (unknowing to knowing at the very least) therefore  "transitioning"

I am also well aware of zealots who need a well defined world view for whatever reason. Non-Transitioning can go as far as anyone who has not had full medical intervention (the laundry list to suit their personal preferences) to perhaps even being stealth. After all, if you need to proclaim to the world that you are trans, then you really aren't what you appear to be.

Generally speaking, in very broad brush terms, I adhere to a definition of Non-Transitioning as essentially not full-time to perhaps part-time. Even by my own definition I can be called Non, or not, as my period of part time was about as RLE as one can get without working as a female. A good 3/4 of my time outside of work was presenting as Joanne. Though these days I cannot do part-time, yet in my heart I still feel I need to, if not more.
In the broadest context I view non-transitioning as being completely static - nil growth, consistent pre-programmed or reflex response and a low or negligible learning orientation.  Hence my view is that in this context all humans, indeed all organisms are in a state of transition.
However conscious transition is something more than this. It implies the ongoing re shaping, redefining and re texturing of oneself through experience, through journey, through expression etc
Where language becomes limiting appears to when it is appropriated by a group, a culture and given quite specific connotation or import.  Hence non transitioning to many in the traditional tg binarised community would settle on non transitioning as meaning anything less than full time expression in a manner fully consistent with an individual's sense of their innate gender.
The fact that the usual taxonomy is normally binary and the androgyne, gender fluid or other non binary expressions are less usual, means that each of us who may be transitioning in the broadest context may be regarded as non transitioning by the majority within particular communities or sub communities.
Personally I have had full FFS, several years of hrt, other surgeries and much counselling.  Do I see myself as transitioning, yes.  Do I see myself as being explicitly or necessarily headed to a full time classical binary outcome, no.  I will continually self author, seek authentic expression, learning and growth - which to me is what transitioning is all about.
  •