Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Kate Bornstein / Gender Outlaws

Started by Tanya W, January 04, 2014, 03:29:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tanya W

"I know I''m not a man...and I've come to the conclusion that I'm probably not a woman, either...The trouble is, we're living in a work that insists we be one or the other."

This is an early passage from Kate Bornstein's wonderful Gender Outlaw, a book that looks at and challenges and liberates from a whole bunch of conventional notions about this thing we call gender. I am finding it a magnificent read, every bit as insightful - and a whole lot lighter - than one of my other favourites, Julia Serano's Whipping Girl.

Curiously, though, when I do a search for this title on Susan's, I find only one post from 2011. Broadening my search to include Ms Kate herself, only one other post is added.

So I am wondering, has anyone else read this book? Does anyone else have strong feelings about what it offers? Or, for that matter, feelings about any other Bornstein works? Though I have only read passages, her recent memoir, Queer and Pleasant Danger, also seems fascinating. Would love to hear...
'Though it is the nature of mind to create and delineate forms, and though forms are never perfectly consonant with reality, still there is a crucial difference between a form which closes off experience and a form which evokes and opens it.'
- Susan Griffin
  •