Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How a hunch led to stunning claim on Buddha birth date

Started by Jamie D, January 05, 2014, 04:25:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

AFP |  By Ammu Kannampilly

Kathmandu (AFP) - The two archaeologists had a hunch that the Buddha's birthplace in southern Nepal held secrets that could transform how the world understood the emergence and spread of Buddhism.

Their pursuit would eventually see them excavate the sacred site of Lumbini as monks prayed nearby, leading to the stunning claim that the Buddha was born in the sixth century BC, two centuries earlier than thought.

Full details at the link, above
  •  

YBtheOutlaw

just like the article said, i thought buddha was born in 6th century BC all along. (im sri lankan btw)
our history says the date of passing away of buddha coincided with the date of arrival of this aryan prince vijaya in sri lanka. legend says buddha just before passing away, told a god to protect our country where buddhism will remain secured for 5000yrs, and told him to protect this prince who was on his way by then, as he would start the monarch here which will establish buddhism very strongly in future. that actually happened during the time of emperor asoka in india.
our historical records say prince vijaya arrived here in 543BC, and since buddha lived 80yrs his birthdate has to fall in 623BC. i didn't even know they believed it to be in 4th century. thanks for sharing jamieD
We all are animals of the same species
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on January 05, 2014, 04:25:38 AM

AFP |  By Ammu Kannampilly

Kathmandu (AFP) - The two archaeologists had a hunch that the Buddha's birthplace in southern Nepal held secrets that could transform how the world understood the emergence and spread of Buddhism.

Their pursuit would eventually see them excavate the sacred site of Lumbini as monks prayed nearby, leading to the stunning claim that the Buddha was born in the sixth century BC, two centuries earlier than thought.

Full details at the link, above

Kia Ora Jamie,

Thanks... From an academic viewpoint it's an interesting article...

What I find most interesting about the historical Buddha, (The  Awaken One=Siddhartha Gautama, who is credited as the founder of what is now known as Buddhism) is, if archaeological findings were to show that no such person existed, it would make not one ounce of difference to the mind training techniques that have been accredited to him over the past 3 thousand years (well almost), and the benefits that have arisen from applying them to everyday life...

I guess one could say 'an awaken mind is an awaken mind' and those ancient practitioners/sages who have passed their knowledge down throughout the ages are also "Buddhas" in their own right...

When you think about it, what's a couple of hundred years 'BC' between old friends (The Buddha and Jesus)....

Thanks again for posting the article/link, it will be something to talk about at the meeting this evening...

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Jamie D

I would love to hear what they think about this in your meeting.

My intent was just to post an article of interest for the members here, but I love archeology and anthropology, so it piqued my interest as well.
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Jamie D on January 06, 2014, 01:28:51 AM
I would love to hear what they think about this in your meeting.

My intent was just to post an article of interest for the members here, but I love archeology and anthropology, so it piqued my interest as well.

Kia Ora Jamie,

I brought the topic up as we were having cake and tea, but for some strange reason the conversation drifted to The Mary Celeste, then The Bosnian Pyramid and ended up with The Denver Airport Mural. but that's Buddhism for you, 'non attachment"  ;) ;D

Metta Zenda :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •