Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Interested In Wicca

Started by Jen♀, January 09, 2014, 06:17:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jen♀

Hey all!
As the subject states, I'm pretty interested in Wicca... What I don't want to do is be overzealous simply to be "different". I don't really think this is the case; from the research I have done it seems like it is a very fitting spiritual system for me. I guess I'm just saying that I really do mean to be taking this seriously.

What age where you all when you were first "seriously" introduced to Wicca?
What are some good sources I could start with to do some more formal research?
:)
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Arietta Roselyn on January 09, 2014, 06:17:11 PM
What age where you all when you were first "seriously" introduced to Wicca?
What are some good sources I could start with to do some more formal research?
:)

I identified as Pagan for many years, starting when I was around 13 or so, when I became great friends with a Pagan family.

For your question on sources, I found the best was befriending an old, wise witch. :) Learning for another hands on is always the best.

Good luck on your journey.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

Jen♀

There actually is a witchcraft shop just outside of my town. I'll have to go there eventually and talk to some of the people who work there :) in the meantime I picked up Scott Cunningham's "Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" from the library to get started on further educating myself.
Thanks for the tips and good wishes!
  •  

Elijah3291

Thats a great book, that was the first book I read too. I also recommend "Practical magic for Beginners" by Brandy Williams, also "Wicca for beginners" by Thea sabin. I found both of these easy to read and useful.
  •  

Constance

Quote from: Arietta Roselyn on January 16, 2014, 03:50:21 PM
There actually is a witchcraft shop just outside of my town. I'll have to go there eventually and talk to some of the people who work there :) in the meantime I picked up Scott Cunningham's "Guide for the Solitary Practitioner" from the library to get started on further educating myself.
Thanks for the tips and good wishes!
I have that book too, as well as "All One Wicca" by Kaatryn MacMorgan. My own Pagan practice is more eclectic than truly Wiccan, though most of the Pagans I interact with and rituals I attend are Wiccan.

Oh, I should add that I'm having my First Degree Initiation next week (24 January) into an Alexandrian/Wiccan coven that has at least 2 other Christo-Pagans already in the coven.

Jen♀

Thanks for the other titles, I'll definitely check into seeing if any libraries have them!

Quote from: Constance on January 16, 2014, 04:38:36 PM
Oh, I should add that I'm having my First Degree Initiation next week (24 January) into an Alexandrian/Wiccan coven that has at least 2 other Christo-Pagans already in the coven.
That's awesome! :D I didn't realize there were so many Wiccans just within the Susans community
  •  

Alecalecki

I heavily recommend Dedicant: A Witch's Circle of Fire by Thuri Calafia.
She has month-by-month lessons-- it's just altogether my favorite book on Wicca by far. Put that Silver Ravenwolf down!
☽☉☾ Steal What Works; Fix What's Broke; Fake the Rest. ☽☉☾
  •  

traci_k

Also consider any books by Starhawk or Ray Buckland.

Another good source is Circle Sanctuary in Wisconsin

Blessed Be!

Traci

As below I concur about Scott Cunningham also
Traci Melissa Knight
  •  

Illuminess

A really great book is "Witchcraft In Theory & Practice" by Ly De Angeles. It's not full of fluffy new age references like Silver Ravenwolf, and provides a very practical approach. Another great author to consider is Scott Cunningham. In fact, his book "The Truth About Witchcraft Today" is a great place to start.
△ ☾ Rıνεя Aяıп Lαυяıε ☽ △

"Despair holds a sweetness that only an artist's tongue can taste."Illuminess
  •