Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Another Yeson thread - I'm booked for Feb 26

Started by megan2929, January 15, 2014, 05:25:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jamie D

Quote from: megan2929 on February 26, 2014, 01:58:09 PM

I will admit that I had a bit of a breakdown the night before the surgery because I was so scared and because I was really worried that I wouldn't be able to figure out how to make my voice sound natural or get it up to the 220 Hz range after the surgery because I don't really understand how the voice works as well as a lot of the girls on this site do. I have no idea what I'm doing now to make my voice sound feminine and I don't really understand the relationship between resonance and pitch. I just know that I use my head voice and make sounds from the front of my mouth instead of my chest, but Dr. Kim said it's not quite the same method after surgery. I think it's just the unknown factor that was freaking me out. He tried to explain something about raising your pitch by tightening your vocal cords, but not squeezing your larynx anymore, and using your chest voice, but I think it's something I'll just have to experience myself and figure out on my own because I can't understand what any of that would actually feel like.

Megan, you are a strong woman to have made it this far.  You have sisters here who have been there and who can help if you need it.

Listening to the joy in the new voices of the women on this site makes my heart leap.  I am proud of you all.
  •  

Salome

Hi Girl

I hope you are well and you surgery was asuccess
Would mind to give me idea how much is the surgery this days

I will love to my surgery as I hate my voice

Thank you for you help

xx
  •  

megan2929

Quote from: Salome on February 28, 2014, 07:34:52 PM
Hi Girl

I hope you are well and you surgery was asuccess
Would mind to give me idea how much is the surgery this days

I will love to my surgery as I hate my voice

Thank you for you help

xx

Hi, the surgery costs $7000 USD.
  •  

FalseHybridPrincess

Hi Megan , I ve been following your surgery thread  :)

I wish you a speedy recovery :)

Yeson sounds awesome  :)
http://falsehybridprincess.tumblr.com/
Follow me and I ll do your dishes.

Also lets be friends on fb :D
  •  

Salome

Hi girl

Thank you very much for the info

i wish you a speedy recovery
  •  

Boca.Lisa

Hi Megan,

Im just checking in to see how you are. Hopefully your recovery is going well!

Lisa
2009 FFS #1 - Dr. Thiti (Bangkok, Thailand)
2010 FFS #2 -Dr. Darin (Bangkok, Thailand)
2010 BA and GRS - Dr. Thiti (Bangkok, Thailand)
2012 Body Work - Dr. Hockstein (Miami, Florida)
2014 VFS - Dr. Kim (Seoul, South Korea)
  •  

anjaq

should be about time for the checkup - did everything look healing well`?

•  

megan2929

Hi Everyone :-)

Well I'm safe and sound back home in Vancouver and I'm already missing Seoul. I had my checkup on Wednesday and Dr. Kim said it looks great so that was a huge relief! I did have a vocal tremor so he injected botox and prescribed clonazepam for me (3 months botox effect, 4 months clonazepam) which should give my vocal cords enough time to settle down and heal without a tremor.

I did pretty good at keeping silent the whole time I was there, apart from the few times I lightly coughed or started a whisper before catching myself. One thing I found difficult was not moving any air out while trying to "mouth" words to my friend and people I was interacting with. It's probably safer to just use a notepad or type on your phone for everything, but I found myself still mouthing words to people and I always had to make sure I wasn't in fact whispering anything.

They say the botox injection will make my voice hoarse and strained for 4-5 weeks but I'm only supposed to be speaking a couple words a day during that time anyway. They also mentioned that I might have trouble swallowing for a few days after the injection (instructions were to use a straw when drinking or tilt your head forward when swallowing) but I didn't actually have any trouble. Also, for the first 2 months, I'm only supposed to speak in a falsetto, which is supposed to train my brain to use a higher pitch, so it is easier to drop back down into my chest voice at the 2 month mark, when I can start talking normally and will begin the vocal exercises.

I have to avoid salty and spicy food for 2 months, as well as alcohol, and all caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea, soda, etc.

I tried to say one word today and when I first tried, nothing came out. It was just like a silent whisper. I tried again in falsetto and it kind of cracked and made a squeak. I guess it takes a little more time. I'm going to keep resting it for another few days before trying again.

Oh, one more thing that was really neat about Yeson was the package they give you when you leave. It has all your test results, vocal analysis, instructions, and even has the video of your vocal cords vibrating on a usb key. Jessie is so fantastic. If anyone goes after me, please say hi to her for me. :-)

My throat was pretty sore the day of the surgery, and felt more like I had a bad cold the next day. It got better the day after, and then got worse again for a few days but I think that might have more to do with the cold, dry air and pollution (yellow dust from China) in Seoul because I was going out a lot. I would recommend buying a face mask at a corner store if you're going out. Lots of people in Seoul were wearing them. Things I managed to see and do while there: The COEX aquarium (the mall is closed for renovations), shopping in Myeongdong (makeup!), Apgugeong, Namdaemun market (fake designer handbags), Itaewon, Insadong (souvenirs), and Gangnam, Mount Namsan and the N. Korea Tower and love locks, the palace, the National Folk Museum, a cat cafe in Gangnam (highlight of the trip!), and ate at lots of cool and unique restaurants including the Gourmet 494 in the basement of the Galleria shopping center in Apgugeong which is this high-end food court where I had Kalbi Tacos from a Mexican restaurant, and the best burger I've ever had (I was shocked too). I also hung out with Barbie for the afternoon before my surgery and she kindly showed me around and took me to an e-Mart to buy a hair straightener.  Overall, Seoul is fantastic and I loved it there. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Wearing a traditional Korean Hanbok:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119641944@N07/12986122673/

At the palace in Seoul:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119641944@N07/12986400254/

(I don't know how to embed photos in a post)
  •  

Shantel

Congrats Megan, I'm looking forward to hearing your post-op voice when you're ready.  :icon_bunch:
  •  

anjaq

This is great! I wish you all the best. So it will be a while then before we will get voice recordings LOL - I doubt you want the Botox or that falsetto speaking to be on tape ;) - Its the first time I heard about that falsetto talking - what is the reason for that and how do you do that? I mean falsetto means to use the head voice only? But thats at 300-something Hz in a range that is totally unnatural for speaking, almost ridiculously high - I think I would not dare to use it or people would think I did a Mickey mouse voice surgery LOL - keep us updated how this apparently new instruction is working out for you.

Your Photos are great by the way :)

•  

michelle_h

Thanks Megan for posting the link back to your thread. Just like the others you've provided great info. I'm making notes for my trip - 8 weeks away.
I asked Jessie if a travel visa was required coming from Canada. She said it wasn't. I'm travelling from London, Ontario.

Hope to be in Vancouver this August for a work related conference. I teach video production and 2D / 3D computer animation. Looking forward to both these trips. This should be a fun summer for me.

Happy everything is going well for you.
And yes, your photos are great.

Michelle

•  

megan2929

Quote from: michelle_h on March 07, 2014, 09:57:56 PM
Thanks Megan for posting the link back to your thread. Just like the others you've provided great info. I'm making notes for my trip - 8 weeks away.
I asked Jessie if a travel visa was required coming from Canada. She said it wasn't. I'm travelling from London, Ontario.

Hope to be in Vancouver this August for a work related conference. I teach video production and 2D / 3D computer animation. Looking forward to both these trips. This should be a fun summer for me.

Happy everything is going well for you.
And yes, your photos are great.

Michelle

Hi Michelle :)
You must be the person Jessie mentioned to me last week. She asked me if I had needed a travel visa and I told her you don't from Canada. Good luck with your trip! If you have any questions feel free to ping me.
  •  

megan2929

Quote from: anjaq on March 07, 2014, 08:54:31 AM
This is great! I wish you all the best. So it will be a while then before we will get voice recordings LOL - I doubt you want the Botox or that falsetto speaking to be on tape ;) - Its the first time I heard about that falsetto talking - what is the reason for that and how do you do that? I mean falsetto means to use the head voice only? But thats at 300-something Hz in a range that is totally unnatural for speaking, almost ridiculously high - I think I would not dare to use it or people would think I did a Mickey mouse voice surgery LOL - keep us updated how this apparently new instruction is working out for you.

Your Photos are great by the way :)

Yeah I'm a little confused about the falsetto as well. Basically he said to try and talk like mickey mouse for the first few weeks. I did try a word again today in both falsetto and original chest voice and honestly, apart from being a bit hoarse and weak, it kind of sounded the same as before. Basically my chest voice still sounded pretty deep. I hope this is normal and I start to notice the change at the 2 month mark, but it's a little concerning at the moment.
  •  

anjaq

That is a bit odd. I know that "talk like mickey mouse" trick in terms of speaking falsetto and then lowering oneself into a female rsonance type from voice trainings. It works great - gives you a bit of a higher average speaking pitch as well as a female resonance if it is done properly. Basically one gets used to the higher larynx position and this makes a different resonance but also in my experience raises the pitch by 30-40 Hz. I guess most of the girls here who went for the surgery yet have done these things before, I am very confident Jenny and Sarah did it at least, as it is noticeable in the pre-op recordings and in the descriptions on the way pre op voice training went. But I am confused as to what this has to do with the surgery. It should work basically by changing the vocal chords and not depend on voice training for the effects it is providing. Of course one still will have to do or have done the voice training for pitch with the falsetto or other tricks...

•  

peky

Quote from: megan2929 on March 07, 2014, 02:46:24 AM
Hi Everyone :-)

Well I'm safe and sound back home in Vancouver and I'm already missing Seoul. I had my checkup on Wednesday and Dr. Kim said it looks great so that was a huge relief! I did have a vocal tremor so he injected botox and prescribed clonazepam for me (3 months botox effect, 4 months clonazepam) which should give my vocal cords enough time to settle down and heal without a tremor.

I did pretty good at keeping silent the whole time I was there, apart from the few times I lightly coughed or started a whisper before catching myself. One thing I found difficult was not moving any air out while trying to "mouth" words to my friend and people I was interacting with. It's probably safer to just use a notepad or type on your phone for everything, but I found myself still mouthing words to people and I always had to make sure I wasn't in fact whispering anything.

They say the botox injection will make my voice hoarse and strained for 4-5 weeks but I'm only supposed to be speaking a couple words a day during that time anyway. They also mentioned that I might have trouble swallowing for a few days after the injection (instructions were to use a straw when drinking or tilt your head forward when swallowing) but I didn't actually have any trouble. Also, for the first 2 months, I'm only supposed to speak in a falsetto, which is supposed to train my brain to use a higher pitch, so it is easier to drop back down into my chest voice at the 2 month mark, when I can start talking normally and will begin the vocal exercises.

I have to avoid salty and spicy food for 2 months, as well as alcohol, and all caffeinated drinks such as coffee, tea, soda, etc.

I tried to say one word today and when I first tried, nothing came out. It was just like a silent whisper. I tried again in falsetto and it kind of cracked and made a squeak. I guess it takes a little more time. I'm going to keep resting it for another few days before trying again.

Oh, one more thing that was really neat about Yeson was the package they give you when you leave. It has all your test results, vocal analysis, instructions, and even has the video of your vocal cords vibrating on a usb key. Jessie is so fantastic. If anyone goes after me, please say hi to her for me. :-)

My throat was pretty sore the day of the surgery, and felt more like I had a bad cold the next day. It got better the day after, and then got worse again for a few days but I think that might have more to do with the cold, dry air and pollution (yellow dust from China) in Seoul because I was going out a lot. I would recommend buying a face mask at a corner store if you're going out. Lots of people in Seoul were wearing them. Things I managed to see and do while there: The COEX aquarium (the mall is closed for renovations), shopping in Myeongdong (makeup!), Apgugeong, Namdaemun market (fake designer handbags), Itaewon, Insadong (souvenirs), and Gangnam, Mount Namsan and the N. Korea Tower and love locks, the palace, the National Folk Museum, a cat cafe in Gangnam (highlight of the trip!), and ate at lots of cool and unique restaurants including the Gourmet 494 in the basement of the Galleria shopping center in Apgugeong which is this high-end food court where I had Kalbi Tacos from a Mexican restaurant, and the best burger I've ever had (I was shocked too). I also hung out with Barbie for the afternoon before my surgery and she kindly showed me around and took me to an e-Mart to buy a hair straightener.  Overall, Seoul is fantastic and I loved it there. If anyone has any questions, please feel free to PM me.

Wearing a traditional Korean Hanbok:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119641944@N07/12986122673/

At the palace in Seoul:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/119641944@N07/12986400254/

(I don't know how to embed photos in a post)

Hi, megan,

You look soooo beautiful and happy on the pictures, thank you for sharing them with us.

I am planning to go to Yeson nest summer, so I have been following the "voice" threads with much eagerness.. Even if I only gain a little bit of range, I will declare victory... my voice is killing me :(

Please continue to share your recovery and journey with us

OO

Peky
  •  

barbie

Quote from: megan2929 on March 07, 2014, 02:46:24 AM

Meagan,

It is nice that you returned to your home without any problem.

A week ago, I went to Seoul again, but was too busy attending the business meeting and could not reach you to meet again. Fortunately, you seem to have had a great time. Last weekend, I was also in Seoul, finding that the air is far cleaner than 2 weeks ago.

Yes. If you visit Seoul in spring, you have better bring or purchase a facial mask specifically designed for filtering out fine dusts.

Take care, and be patient!

barbie~~
Just do it.
  •  

michelle_h

Hi Megan,

Yes I'm probably the one Jessie was asking you about. She mentioned she had asked another Canadian patient.

Your to do / must see list looks pretty interesting. Hope that aquarium is open when I go. Just looked it up on line. Looks amazing

Thanks for the offer to pick your brain if I have any questions.

Michelle
  •  

Jennygirl

Quote from: anjaq on March 09, 2014, 02:39:33 PM
That is a bit odd. I know that "talk like mickey mouse" trick in terms of speaking falsetto and then lowering oneself into a female rsonance type from voice trainings. It works great - gives you a bit of a higher average speaking pitch as well as a female resonance if it is done properly. Basically one gets used to the higher larynx position and this makes a different resonance but also in my experience raises the pitch by 30-40 Hz. I guess most of the girls here who went for the surgery yet have done these things before, I am very confident Jenny and Sarah did it at least, as it is noticeable in the pre-op recordings and in the descriptions on the way pre op voice training went. But I am confused as to what this has to do with the surgery. It should work basically by changing the vocal chords and not depend on voice training for the effects it is providing. Of course one still will have to do or have done the voice training for pitch with the falsetto or other tricks...

Dr. Kim told me that even with female sized vocal cords I would need to train myself on how to use them if I hadn't already antiquated my female voice into conversation. At the very least, the chesty low voice that you once knew will be gone forever. You just can't phonate down there anymore.

Voice training will always be necessary to feminize a voice.. VFS or not ;) VFS removes the ability to "slip back" into your old voice (which was the main reason I chose to have this surgery). As well it seems to soften the tone.
  •  

megan2929

Jenny, do you still raise your larynx and resonate from your mouth now? I asked Dr. Kim about that and he said I should just be able to just use my chest resonance but a higher pitch. I'm not sure I really buy that though. He seemed to say that the whole raising your larynx and constricting your throat was bad for your vocal cords so he told me to just use falsetto (none of the larynx stuff) at the beginning, and then move to chest voice in a few weeks when I'm allowed to start speaking short conversations.

Honestly I have no idea what I'm going to have to do mechanics-wise to sound normal in a couple weeks. Right now when I say a single word it kind of just sounds the same as my old voice to me.
  •  

Boca.Lisa

Megan,

First off,  its really soon so be patient (easier said than done).

What do you mean it sounds the same? Same as your feminized trained voice or something else? Are you speaking normal but getting the feminuzed sound?

Aside from being concerned about how your feeling, I know I speak for many of us who are close  to our surgery dates and your feedback is crazy important.

Thanks for sharing and I really hope you get where you are hoping to be.

Lisa
2009 FFS #1 - Dr. Thiti (Bangkok, Thailand)
2010 FFS #2 -Dr. Darin (Bangkok, Thailand)
2010 BA and GRS - Dr. Thiti (Bangkok, Thailand)
2012 Body Work - Dr. Hockstein (Miami, Florida)
2014 VFS - Dr. Kim (Seoul, South Korea)
  •