Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Peripheral Neuropathy

Started by Joelene9, January 16, 2014, 09:07:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Joelene9

This was from a thread I started under the HRT topic as "Close call".  I just got done with a visit to a neurologist my podiatrist recommended.  He said the source of the pain cannot be located but probably where the sciatic nerve branches to the leg nerves.  My regular doctor and the podiatrist has done all there is to be done here.  The painkillers are not working here.  No treatment or surgery for the problem except a nerve pacemaker placed at the base of the spine.  The pacemaker has a 75% effectiveness of lessening pain in my case, but does not cure the problem.  The latter is not going to happen due to my finances. 
  Peripheral neuropathy (PN) is a condition causing severe pain in the extremities.  Usually the feet are affected but the hands, legs, arms can be also.  This usually comes about with people over 45.  30-40% of the cases is the result of diabetes, another 20% by gout, toxins, pinched nerves, HRT usage and other things.  About 30% or so is of undetermined cause.  Mine falls under the undetermined cause due to the longevity of my condition predates my HRT usage by 30 years plus the lead and mercury I was exposed to can no longer be detected.  This problem ramped-up slowly over 35-40 years starting with minor pain to moderate pain with getting off of the feet ineffective to severe/excruciating with painkillers effective only for 2-12 weeks at first. 
  PN was not diagnosed by my earlier doctors due to a misdiagnoses of psoriasis and associated pain in the feet.  There was topical medication resistant fungus that was cured in 30 days by taking Lamisil, an oral nail fungus medication last month.  The pain is now more spread out and the feet don't have callouses nor any peeling of the skin.  After 35 years! Finally!  The fungus caused a large callous to form on the soles of the feet.  The callous caused tightness on the soles and this tightness changes with humidity in the foot area.  This causes pressure on the nerve endings which usually causes a dull burning or ache there.  In PN cases, this pain is amplified as a severe sharp burning with stabbing pains when the condition of the callous changes such as temperature change, humidity, exfoliating said callous, bedding, shoes and any kind of touch or pressure changes on the feet.  Orthotic inserts helps by equalizing pressure on the feet as you walk. 
  Check for PN when you have sharp burning with stabbing, jolting, needle pains in the feet or hands that happens in both feet or in both hands simultaneously or just in one limb.  Numbness and lack of motor in the affected area during times of less pain.  Any kind of touch, even a bed sheet causes severe pain there.
  It is caused by:
  Diabetes
  Gout
  HRT usage.
  Toxins such as mercury, lead or other nerve agent.
  Shingles, you may get this after age 60 if you had chicken pox as a kid.
  Pinched or degenerating nerve sheaths by other causes, some inherited.

If the cause is found, it can be treated.  Nerve damage cannot be reversed, but some treatments could stop the damage and allow for other pathways in the nerves be established to get some sensation and motor back to the affected areas.  Treatments vary.  You go through your regular doctor before the neurologist on this.  Neurologists are on top of the food chain here, my cost today was $365 for the consultation with me providing the X-ray and exam results from my doctors. 

Joelene
  •  

Sarah Louise

I'm a long time sufferer from PN (diabetes related).  I've tried two medications but neither worked.
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

LordKAT

QuoteShingles, you may get this after age 60 if you had chicken pox as a kid.
Anyone who had chicken pox regardless of age can get shingles.
  •  

lilacwoman

You could simply be allergic to tomatoes as that can cause widespred problems that mimic many other conditions just like any allergy.

have a read of: http://rxlx18.wix.com/lasttomatoinhalifax and report back.
  •  

oh hai!

True, I had my first bout with shingles at 39. Had to take 3 weeks off work as it went along the radial nerve onto my hands :/
  •  

Joelene9

This is an update bump from January.  My blood work came back and the Dr. put me back on Spiro. ;D  The flushing effects that caused my sodium and other things to be out of range low are back to normal.  The body hair returned and the PN had progressed up to the upper feet to just below the knees.  The pain is a bit less than it was on the soles, but I will at times go into the sleep transition by being KO'ed by the pain.  I am walking around more and sleeping at night.  I have tilled in 3 1/2 yards of compost, 3 long bed pick-up truck loads, in the garden the past two months with a garden spade.  The plantings are on time, even though it takes 3 times longer to do those things now.  No pain relievers, they no longer work.  I managed to climb steps, two at a time.  But the going down is still a terror! 
  I am also doing repairs to the 120 year old lady of a 20" Clark refractor telescope at the observatory.  The mount in right ascention is binding badly and the repairs are being done by us amateurs with mechanical and machining experience doing this pro bono for the university at this time.  The mount problems are 15' above the floor.  We are using the observers' scaffold and a tall ladder to do this.  I only missed 1 work day out of 2 1/2 weeks with 2-3 work days a week from the pain thus far. 
  My PSA reading for prostate had shot up, probably do to the lack of Spiro in my system.  If the Spiro doesn't lower the readings, it is to the Endo I go to check for prostate or testicular cancer.  A testosterone level test is planned at my next visit at the end of summer.  The 35 year old foot problem with the peeling and the large callouses are gone.  No more large flecks of dead skin on the floor around the foot of the bed!

Joelene
  •  

Joelene9

Two weeks later and the foot pain has decreased.  But that happened this time of the season the past 2 years, only to have the excruciating pain return in early July.  This time the idle level on the pain is below the moderate level with a level of high at maximum below the severe and excruciating levels.  The return of Spiro in my regimen has smoothed and lightened my skin and the 4 week difference was noted by my relatives.  My strength is returning as noted with the gardening.  My muscle strength and mass actually did increase while on HRT.  My Dr. said that it was not unheard of since I had a hormonal inbalance before HRT. 
  That telescope mount has been repaired and the manual drive is easier to use, good as new.  The professor found a memo from 1982 from the previous director on the same problem.  A zerk modification were done to get grease through one of the pillow block fittings back then, but the drilled hole to the shaft sleeve was not complete, it was 3mm short!  No grease ever got to the shaft using a grease gun.  The shaft was removed by using a gear puller. There were hammer and pipe wrench marks on the shaft part not in the block and a repaired gear from the previous repair from 1982.  The breaking of that gear was mentioned in that old memo.  Getting on the old gantry and a ladder was like getting back on the horse after being thrown from it.  Going down those is still a challenge. 

Joelene

•  

rorythedinosaur

i'm reviving this topic to ask you if somebody developed Peripheral Neuropathy due to Testosterone treatment.

I'm 3 months on T and after my last dose (5 days ago) i am suffering from classic neuropathy symptoms in both feet and hands.

•  

Cindy

Hi Rory,

My understanding that the link between testosterone and PN is due to changes peripheral vascular output. In cismales it tends to be linked to low T. I have to admit that I have no idea in transmen but I'm thinking that it may be worthwhile seeing what your T levels have been over time. Also of course make sure all of the other reasons for PN are examined.

I suffer from chemotherapy induced PN in my feet and my heart goes out to you. It isn't any fun.
  •