Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Trans Support Group at William Way Centre in Philadelphia

Started by TessaMarie, January 24, 2014, 03:16:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TessaMarie

I went to the support group at the William Way Centre again this evening.

I enjoyed the discussion.  There were 3 transmen & 4 transwomen there, plus 2 allies.  No-one monopolised the conversation, and the differences of opinion that did arise were addressed respectfully without any rancour or hurt feelings.  I don't know that I would really consider it a support group in the 'group therapy' sense, it was more a social gathering of transfolk in a friendly & safe setting.  More than once the conversation wandered away from trans-specific topics to matters of more immediate concern, like the freezing cold weather outside  ;o)   It felt like meeting up with a few old friends I didn't know I had.

I fully intend to return, and made a point of making sure I had a couple of phone numbers so I could keep in touch between now & next Thursday.

I was there two weeks ago after the missus crashed on the couch on her birthday.  Two weeks ago it was terrible.  If I hadn't spoken at length with one of the women I met there afterwards, I doubt I would have considered returning.  One cis-person held the entire room hostage for the whole time I was there, demanding we answer his questions in ways that suited his preconceived notions.  Because of who he was, the person newly assigned to run the group didn't feel confident enough to intervene.  This was addressed privately later & that particular issue appears to have been resolved by last Thursday.

For anyone in or near Philly who is looking to connect with some other transfolk, this group as it is now seems to be an emotionally safe place for us to meet.

For those looking for a free group therapy session, other options might be a better fit.

I also posted these comments in this thread:  Anyone in Philly?

Tessa
Gender Journey:    Male-towards-Female;    Destination Unknown
All shall be well.
And all shall be well.
And all manner of things shall be well.    (Julian of Norwich, c.1395)
  •  

jk4361

Hello there,
I know this message is super old but the info was a great find and I will be using it.
Hope your out there and doing well :  )
  •