Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Dealing with people who don't "get it"

Started by insideontheoutside, February 02, 2014, 04:48:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

insideontheoutside

This is just something that I need to write out and I'm thinking about giving it to my spouse (a little backstory – he claims he "gets it", that I'm not female, but then goes out of his way to gender everything I do in a female way, to refer to me as female even when we're alone, and basically just ignore whole conversations I've had where I painstakingly explain my "issues"). I'm posting this here only because I feel other people will be able to relate.

What My Life Has Been Like

I think for me it all started in the womb – a chemical imbalance that caused my brain and body to develop slightly differently from the typical female fetus. Many years after the fact I discovered through letters written to an aunt that tests had determined my mom was "probably" having a boy. She was quite sure of it, in fact. My first and middle names were going to be Michael Andrew. I also discovered that my mom had PCOS and at least double the normal female amount of the male hormone, testosterone, and it was only through surgery to her ovaries that I her pregnancy with me was even possible. Anyway, the big day came and, surprise, I did not have all the male equipment and thus a big fat "F" was marked on the certificate that would hunt me the rest of my life. I was of course given a more appropriate first and middle name, and so began my journey.

While that big even was now almost 41 years ago, I still struggle in my daily life with the fact that society labeled me something I am not, without even giving me a chance. Some of the earliest memories I can recall concern confusion with the adults around me, then, a little later, even some of the other children. Probably because of the epic fits I pitched, my mom would acquiesce and for years kept my hair short and allowed me to wear a lot of boys clothing (I was an only child by the way, so she actually did go out and buy boys clothing specifically for me) and passed me off as a "tomboy" to anyone who inquired or mistook me for a "real boy". When I was very young, I still wondered why people treated me differently. I wondered why people would tell me I "shouldn't sit like that" or "shouldn't do that" or "shouldn't 'act' like that". It was shortly after I started talking (age 2) that I expressed that there were some things missing from between my legs. I could only imagine how horrified my mom was when I said this (while I can remember my expressing it clearly, I can't remember her reaction). When I was a small child, I truly was being myself. I was expressing myself the only (and natural) way I knew. I would play with other boys. I would get dirty. I liked trucks and army men and action figures. I would pull on girls pigtails and generally think the whole lot (girls) were "icky". Even as a 5 year old I realized I did not understand girls or how they operated on a social level. Imagine my confusion when people would say I was one. It was kinda scary actually. I didn't really have a full grasp of what it all meant, I just knew I didn't like it. It was in this era that I started to rely heavily on my imagination and every night I would go to bed and dream about how life would be like had I just been born "right". This set me up for decades of the mindset that I was, born in the "wrong body".

The confusion only grew as the years went on. In about middle school was when the first wave of ridicule from other kids came, simply because I, "looked like a boy". I wonder where they learned that behavior from? I did have the ability to stop the taunting pretty fast though ... that happens when you're not afraid to get into a fight (and usually came out the victor). I remember a school counselor talking to me and telling me that fighting was not "ladylike behavior", to which I responded with something like, "Well, I'm not a lady", only to have it thrown back in my face that, "You are a girl that will grow into a lady".  I was smart enough not to make a case out of it. I could see which way the winds were blowing and by age 11 it was reaching a crescendo. My dad stayed out of the fights between me and my mom about clothing and hair and makeup (and how I refused to conform to anything female). Gone were the days where my mom would buy me items from the boy's department, because according to her, it was my time to, "straighten up and fly right". Translation: start behaving like a female. She even drug me off to the doctor (the same one that delivered me into the world) and I was subjected to a battery of tests. I don't know what happened exactly during the time period other than I felt like my mind was cracking. I felt horrible and emotional. I begged my mom to not go back there. It finally stopped.

By that point, puberty was hitting me in the face. I developed what would become a permanent slump in my posture because I couldn't deal with what was going on with my chest. It felt like my body was rebelling against my brain. My brain was getting more and more freaked out feeling like something was very wrong. I became the recluse artist kid who didn't have very many friends and kept to myself. Anything beyond friendship with another person terrified me. Thankfully though, I still didn't look like a girl, but an awkward teenage boy with moobs, so I was spared any affectionate attention save for one confused lesbian in the 9th grade. Sadly I was still cursed with the sex drive a teenage boy, so needless to say this was a very frustrating time. I discovered I liked aspects of girls and boys in a sexual way, but the confusion and hatred of my body kept me from doing anything with anyone.

College was a blur. Mostly because I had already discovered alcohol as means to escape from a reality that shoved me in a box I didn't belong in. I was going to art school in Los Angeles so it was easy to present myself in various ways and get away with it. There was still a part of me that was faking it though. When I wasn't out of it on booze (or something else) or lost in my imagination, reality would come back and I would realize that I was still forced to live as a female in society. I felt like crap, all the time, yet put on this facade that everything was fine and that I was indeed a female. I honestly felt a little dead inside trying to play that game. After years of having been forced to be something I was not, I had developed some world class acting skills, but it was still not enough. Certain people could tell and often times when I was having to act in a group of women, I could tell they could sense it too. There was something "not quite right" about me. I made some other vain attempts, all of which just left me feeling more hollow inside. The hatred of my body hadn't exactly gone away either. It was still there. Always there. 24/7. I even broke down and tried therapy, only to be told by the therapist that if I wasn't willing to "transition" or take any kind of hormone treatment, then I should just face the fact that I'm a woman.

Somehow I lived through college and several more years of partying to come out the other side changed. Not in a gender way, but in a, "I guess I don't want to die, regardless if I have the wrong body" kind of way. For the next few years I suffered with extreme panic attacks and anxiety that basically made me non-functional, so I had to resort to going on unemployment and then disability for two years. I refused to take any meds for this as it was my opinion that meds and therapists were part of what drove me to be crazy in the first place. There was no "help" in that direction and regardless of what anyone else thinks of my opinion on that, I still have it. To help myself, I had to actually do it myself. I didn't even have a friend that I felt I could confide my deepest secret to. I felt that, like that therapist, everyone would just think I was crazy, "Oh the poor girl thinks she's male! How silly! How delusional!". I had some friends along the way that probably thought I was a dyke or something, but nobody would bring up the subject with me and I certainly wasn't talking. I made some half-hearted attempts to connect with people on a more physical level, all of which turned into disasters. I had resigned myself to being alone, forever stuck in a body I didn't know what to do with, hopelessly stuck as a "female" in society. It was a depressing time, while I watched everyone else from the outside in who seemed to have no confusion or issue with their body or being male or female in society.

I allowed my mind to go to all those dark corners and cling to that "wrong body" stuff. I absolutely refused to accept it, yet that's all there was if I was to live. So that's what I did. By about age 35 my mind was starting to change though. I was getting a little punchy from all the years of awkwardly trying to fit in society's "female" box. I was getting tired of people giving me every reason why I was a female, "You know, maybe you're just a masculine female" or whatever the pseudo-helpful comment was, but it was always female. Never male. No, because that was just not a possibility in other people's minds that maybe, just maybe, what was going on with me in the womb before I even came out into the world changed me into a male who's body didn't get the proper signal to go along for the ride. I was fed up. Instead of feeling hopeless about it, I started to change small things about myself to more match who I really was. By this point I'd managed to use my imagination as not just a coping mechanism where I did have the perfect body and life, but for a creative career. Things were going well in other aspects of my life. I had a spouse (thankfully, asexual, whom I am still with today), a house, a car, the career. I had just about everything, except for acceptance of my body.

I spent years gaining more confidence and letting go of the "act" I had been perpetrating for decades up until that point. I even "came out" to several people (one long time friend, and two new friends I had met over the internet). They did accept who I really was, which meant the world to me. They treated me as male and it was a huge confidence boost to be myself more in my everyday life than I had been since I was a small child (the last time I was truly just being myself).

I don't have the desire to transition now because I am learning to be myself regardless of what society thinks about it and regardless of that horrible "F" on the birth certificate that's followed me around my whole life. That is how I refuse to conform now. I can't say it's easy, but it's what I've chosen to do. What's been dragging me down lately though, is being referred to as female over and over again by the person I chose to share my life with. Even after lengthy explanations and discussions, it continues. I don't know if it's conscious or what, but it makes me feel like the progress I've made to be even "okay" with myself in the last 5 years is being challenged. I feel like I'm back in the therapist's office ... "Silly girl! You just think you're male, how cute.". At seemingly every opportunity to point out the supposed "differences" between males and females, it is pointed out to me. At any chance to refer to me with a female pronoun, it is done. I made it clear that I was fine with continuing part of the "charade" for society and the "public". I'm not going to have some big "coming out" party right now. My parents will never understand. They're old, so why bother? Let them live out their lives without the added drama of my maleness. I really don't want mere acquaintances to know my big secret. I've told my doctor, and while she's a realist, she gets it. But only a handful of friends know. But why does the in-my-face-female crap continue from my SO? I've never been female. I have some female parts in my body, but that doesn't make me female. This isn't something that is only valid if I'm talking about it. This is 24/7 in my life and it's been that way since the very day I was born. I don't know how else to phrase it or what other way to say, "Please stop referring to me as female ... as 'she' ... as 'girlie' ... as 'having a vagina' ... as 'not understanding because it's a male thing'. Continuing to do it after I've tried to explain it all hurts and feels disrespectful to me and who I am. The only thing that's changed about me is that I've stopped putting on the act. My personality is the same, my likes and dislikes are the same. I'm just done with being put in a box I never should have been put in to begin with.
"Let's conspire to ignite all the souls that would die just to feel alive."
  •  

Nero

Wow, I can relate to a lot of that. I think it could help to show him. Your mom having PCOS helps explain how it could have happened. I wonder if perhaps she had some misplaced guilt and that's why she kept trying to convince you and herself you were a normal female.

As for your spouse, you said he's asexual. But I'm wondering if acknowledging you as male is difficult for him for his own sexual identity reasons? Has he said anything about that?
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: FA on February 02, 2014, 05:13:09 PM
Wow, I can relate to a lot of that. I think it could help to show him. Your mom having PCOS helps explain how it could have happened. I wonder if perhaps she had some misplaced guilt and that's why she kept trying to convince you and herself you were a normal female.

As for your spouse, you said he's asexual. But I'm wondering if acknowledging you as male is difficult for him for his own sexual identity reasons? Has he said anything about that?

I forgive my mom and I can handle dealing with both my parents. Like I said, they're old and I accept that what's passed is in the past. 

I have kind of wondered that too on the spouse front though. But getting him to admit something like that would be a difficult feat as well. I'd just be happy if, in private or around my friend who does know and accept me, that he'd drop the constant gendering.
  •  

retransition

Wow. That post literally took my breath away.  I feel privileged that you have allowed us along on your journey and all of the feelings along the way. Because I am  trans* (I am MTF post op who now identifies as male again) some parts of your story I know all too well.  Having been born male there are elements of your personal journey I can't personally relate to, yet after I had finished reading your post I felt like I had just lived through them through your writing.

So much of what you wrote was so sad, and yet I do get the sense that you are a "survivor" and in that sense reading this was inspiring even though I fully realise the pain caused by the current impasse with your spouse.  Do you think that it is possible for him to ever modify some of his behavior?  It is possible that he may never be able to full make that transition in his head and, due to his learned or innate sense of gender. I am assuming he is not doing this to be malicious. (I don't get that sense from what you have written.)  Can you get to a space where you both can accept that he will never fully understand your experiences of someone "assigned" (I hate that word but what can you do?) female at birth who identifies as male?  Can you let him know that although you will never know what it feels like to "assigned" (there it is again) male and identifying male, there are a lot of assumptions he is making about who you are based his assumptions of what gender needs to be? I am borrowing this from cognative therapy but here is a tactic (I am not remembering it exactly but it is something like this).  Write him a letter (or even a "contract") and read it to him that

1. Describes certain specific incidents of him being insensitive to you.
2. Explain how these make you feel.
3. Show some empathy and let him know you can understand why he might be doing what he is doing but be strong in stressing it is unacceptable.
4. Let him know the consequences of what will happen if he doesn't make at least SOME changes. (And this COULD be that the relationship will not survive.)
5. Explain the rewards you both will gain if he is willing to work on changing these behaviours (a closer bond, less friction, growth)

I find myself often that advocating people not be afraid to seek out professional mental health services. They can save lives and in many cases can lead to transformative experiences for the client.  If someone is expressing thoughts of suicide and there is nothing I can do I will always try to motivate them to talk to a professional. But I absolutely agree with you that so much of what we call "mental health care" is subpar and in many cases damaging.  In the end it is all about you being an advocate for yourself and sometimes the work you need to do would be impeded by an inept mental health "professional" who is just getting in the way. Sometimes though they can be really helpful. It takes searching (and sometimes "access" which many people sadly do not have) and to add to the difficulty you need to find someone who is a good "fit".  Someone who works great with other patients may not be able to establish any sort of connection with you - it is not either of your faults it is just the nature of human relationships (whether it be personal, professional or therapeutic.)

Yeah ... blah blah blah ... sorry to ramble and I am sure you have thought all of this through but I just want you to know that some of us "get it" and will offer whatever limited resources or experiences we have had to try to help.

retransition.org
"I don't know, I'm making this up as I go!"
Indiana Jones
  •  

insideontheoutside

Quote from: retransition on February 04, 2014, 03:13:33 AM
Yeah ... blah blah blah ... sorry to ramble and I am sure you have thought all of this through but I just want you to know that some of us "get it" and will offer whatever limited resources or experiences we have had to try to help.

Thanks, I appreciate it. I have tried the letter thing before and he always says he prefers when I just come out and say things. In the last week I think he "gets it" slightly more only because I've been talking about it more. It just gets tiring to talk about it when you previously have.
  •  

retransition

Glad to hear things are looking up.  Just like any relationship, communication is key so I'm  glad to hear that talking about it is moving you both in the right direction.
retransition.org
"I don't know, I'm making this up as I go!"
Indiana Jones
  •