Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What must my parents do to ensure I am recognized in their will?

Started by TinaMadisonWhite, February 23, 2014, 01:02:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TinaMadisonWhite

My parents want to make sure that I am legally recognized in all of their legal documents that relate to inheritance (wills, 401Ks, etc).  They want to know what they need to do, but I cannot find an answer to this anywhere on the Web! 

• I have legally changed my name and gender on my driver's license, social security card and US passport.  The only thing left is the birth certificate.
  • My parents are in their 80s, so I am looking for the simplest thing they can do.
Can anyone recommend a resource (Web, person or law firm) I can turn to?  Has anyone else dealt with this?

Many thanks!
Tina
  •  

mrs izzy

As long as you have a paper trail of anything you do with regards to your ID any of these names they use can work.

But i would say if they are making changes then make them to what your legal status is on that day. I would also keep it to something that shows your picture.

Hope it helps

Isabell
Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

Arch

Maybe the National Center for Transgender Equality could point you in the right direction. I don't think this is the sort of thing they normally do, but it can't hurt to drop them a note and see if they can put you in touch with useful contacts in your area.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

mistressstevie

The rules for valid wills vary significantly from state to state.  If they are worried, a quick call to the attorney who drafted them may be the most cost effective and reassuring way to verify you are recognized.

That said if there many changes from when the will was originally drafted, it may be time to have an attorney redraft the will.  I come back a bit to having an attorney look at this as Estate Planning can get strange and complex for what would otherwise appear to be simple and straightforward issues. 

•  

allisonsteph

Quote from: TinaMadisonWhite on February 23, 2014, 01:02:56 PM

Can anyone recommend a resource (Web, person or law firm) I can turn to?

You may want to try the Transgender Law Center's Helpline http://transgenderlawcenter.org/help

They are based in California so are more versed in California law than in other states, but they may be able to point you in the right direction.
In Ardua Tendit (She attempts difficult things)
  •