Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

95 days to go...!

Started by Ms Grace, February 27, 2014, 08:43:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jenny07

Lad to read everything went well at work for you big moment.
No going back now so we wont get in the way as you will run us over.

Ok so your not going to turn into a pumpkin after all. Shame.

That's horrible news about this woman from the past.
I really hope that they listen to you and your college and don't hire her.

Jen

All my ducks are beginning to line up. :-\

So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

I'm so glad that everything is going so well for you!
HRT on and off since January 20, 2014
Diagnosed with GD: March 2018

https://www.youtube.com/user/930310
  •  

Ms Grace

Thanks everyone! I posted this over on the Transgender Talk board but wanted to add it here, apologies for cross posting...

Full-time...darkest before the dawn?
I'm only days from going full time, the plan is next Monday. I'm now out at work and have been well accepted by my colleagues even if one or two might feel a bit weird about it for their own personal reasons. Friends have all been supportive, even the ones who suffered through me the first time. Haven't told my family yet - that is a task still to come, one I'm not looking forward to. Passing in public has been generally not an issue, out of the thousands of people I've walked past, caught public transport with, etc I've had less than ten scrutinising weird looks (that I'm aware of) - and even then I think they probably decided I was a woman and then just moved on. I'm happy enough with my voice to use it confidently in public, shop assistants and the like don't blink when I use it, my shrink and counsellors say it is good and it is almost second nature to use now, not a strain on my vocal cords even if I'm using it continually (like in a counselling or shrink session). I feel utterly natural and comfortable passing as a woman. I AM a woman. All is going well, right?

Except...

I suddenly feel a massive sense of dread. Every fear I had about this at the outset has suddenly loomed larger than life... "I look like every hateful '>-bleeped-<' stereotype ever spewed forth by cis transphobic society"... "I'm ruining my life, it was pretty good as a dude, if not utterly miserable, and I'm upending it to be able to wear dresses in public??"... "I'm an idiot, a joke, a laughing stock"... "Waaaaaaaahhhh!!!"... etc, etc! Worst of all "this will be my life forever"... the wig, the bras, the body waxing/shaving, the clothes the presentation, the tucking, the painful but gorgeous shoes, worrying about how I look... oh god, this is the life of a woman and it will be every day of my life from Monday onwards.

EVERY. &@#%ING. DAY.

So yeah. Cold feet? They are blocks of ice the size of an Arctic ice sheet. I don't personally subscribe to the idea of "he" is fighting back. I don't see myself in terms of he/she just "me"...so I don't think that's what's going on. Maybe I'm just finally realising there's a massive world of difference between the occasional fun outing as Grace and the unrelenting grind of mundane everyday life as Grace. Yeesh.

I'm keen to hear from others who have passed the threshold into permanent full time (or, like me are approaching it). Last minute doubts? How were the first few weeks on the other side? What is the daily experience like?
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Jessica Merriman

I kind of tripped over the threshold of full time, never saw it coming. I think that is how I am taking it so well. I never planned it so I couldn't obsess or worry over it. Just BAM! The first three weeks were so euphoric and wonderful with new experiences and things to be able to shop for. I could go into the ladies sections and not be stared at and it was so comfortably familiar in a way to be able to look and touch the clothes I always wanted to wear. My credit card company loves me being full time, even upgraded me! Now in month three I am so comfortable I actually have forgotten about being trans, I mean, I feel like a cis born woman. When I am driving, shopping, etc. I am not thinking about passing, but completing my errands and paying bills. It feels so good! :)
  •  

Ms Grace

Thanks Jessica! Your experience has certainly been inspirational. I know how much you were resisting the idea of being able to pass let alone go full time, and look at you now! What a stunner! I realise I will settle into it, probably quicker than I expect...it's such a seismic shift (or at least feels like it) that I wonder how I will cope with it being my daily existence.
Grace
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Quote from: Ms Grace on March 19, 2014, 02:58:43 PM
I wonder how I will cope with it being my daily existence.
Oh Grace! Get ready for it to take longer to get ready to go places. You will pick clothes, change your mind then try to decide which pair of shoes goes best. Some days you will curse makeup was ever invented and how it NEVER looks quite right or last's long enough. Hair will have to be secured to cook, clean, do laundry the list goes on. The girls will be abused until you learn how to move, lay and sit just right. I almost strangled myself the first night I wore a night gown to bed. There will also be learning about the world all over again such as sidewalk grates and heels DONT go together. Car doors will ALWAYS catch dresses. Hair CAN get tangled in seat belts. I am surprised I have lived full time this long without a near death moment of some kind. ;D I almost lost an eye the first time I took out my contact lenses with long nails, but oh I love them so much (eyes and nails). ;)
Quote from: Ms Grace on March 19, 2014, 02:58:43 PMWhat a stunner!
I see you already poked your eyes out with long nails! ;D *giggle* Actually I paid my camera $50.00 and a bottle of Jack to lie it's buns off. :)
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on March 19, 2014, 04:57:30 PM
I see you already poked your eyes out with long nails! ;D *giggle* Actually I paid my camera $50.00 and a bottle of Jack to lie it's buns off. :)

Unless you have excellent Photoshop skills I refuse to believe you! :D

Thanks for your words of support, I do feel a lot better now. I think I was feeling tired and emotional after a stressful week. Now that I've rested I'm back to my usual mostly positive outlook.

75 days... 4 days to go!

I've arranged to meet my folks tomorrow...will I have the nerve to tell them?? ??

It seems there's a good chance work won't be employing that hideous woman I mention the other day. That's a huge weight off my shoulders!

Spent a large part of the day looking for wigs. Bought several - seemed like a wise move. Also got a few other styles but the same colour.
Grace
  •  

Jenny07

I hope you're right about that woman. You seemed to be like a rabbit in the headlights once you found out she might have been working there.

Hope it goes well with your parents tomorrow. Just relax and tell them when you feel calm enough.
Do you have the pain monster tomorrow as well?

I am going to see my Aunt on the weekend and perhaps tell her, but she will probably be too crazy now she is a grandmother finally for me to get a word in.
She is about all the family I have. :(

Don't forget to smile.

J
So long and thanks for all the fish
  •  

Cindy

Well Grace and Jenny, I'll be standing next to you in spirit.

Hugs
  •  

Ms Grace

Thanks ladies! No electrolysis for me tomorrow but I know I'd rather a ten hour session than tell my folks, all pain is relative! Have "fun" with your face zapping Jen and best of luck with your Aunt.

I forgot to put in the post above, mainly because I was zonked out tired, that I won't be in the office for the next few days but a number of internal emails to me are now addressing me as Grace :D Work has a big public event next Thursday (that will be an interesting hurdle/test for me, no doubt) and today the events coordinator circulated a list of the staff attending... and there I was... Ms Grace Cr*****  ;D  ;D ;D
Grace
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Quote from: Ms Grace on March 20, 2014, 12:28:15 PM
today the events coordinator circulated a list of the staff attending... and there I was... Ms Grace Cr*****  ;D  ;D ;D
So way cool!!!! I bet that felt absolutely wonderful. :) Sounds like you are a success story now! ;D
  •  

Ms Grace

I think so! Hopefully by the end of next week though I will be old news and part of the furniture.
Grace
  •  

EmmaD

I'll be thinking of you too over the next few days.  My parents are no longer around and I know telling them would not have been easy or gone well. On the other hand, I now have no opportunity to include them either.  The siblings are in NZ and we don't talk much. That said, I am sure they will find it very interesting and worthy of comment once I do say something. We may start talking more (or less still!).

Wig shopping for me tomorrow and I am thinking it will not just be one - might as well "own it" if you have to have them.

Have great time next week at work - it seems to be going extremely well and that I think is solely due to you and the relationships you have built with your work colleagues.

Enjoy!
  •  

Ms Grace

74 days... 3 days to go!

Told my folks today... it went really well! Certainly better than I expected and they are both understanding and supportive (we'll see if they still feel that way when the shock wears off).

I explained to them about my melt down in February last year and that after discussing it with medical professionals it became clear I still had "gender dysphoria" (don't like the phrase myself, but it helped to frame it for them). I stressed that I loved them, that I didn't arrive at the decision lightly but I couldn't continue to live my life as a man that I needed to live as a woman. My mum held my hand the whole way through (especially once my waterworks started flowing, and they were really flowing at this point!).

But they listened as I explained what I was doing, that I would be starting work next week as Grace, that work and friends were very supportive, that I passed well (& showed them pictures to prove it!) and they never once got upset or angry or ridiculed anything I ever said. My mother had to acknowledge that as a child I had never liked playing rough games with other boys, and that she had kind of wondered if I had ever really "given up" on my first transition. My dad was pretty stoic but said he was completely supportive of whatever I decided to do. He even let me hug him!

So I will be going to my niece's birthday gathering after all (it's actually a joint thing for her and a belated one for me). I will be going in guy mode though as my sister and kids don't know yet, will talk to her at the end and then decide on the best way to tell the kids if she is open to it. Knowing my folks are supportive might help her feel OK about it.

Phew! What a massive, massive day!
Grace
  •  

Cindy

Congratulations!

Hugs

And I think you could use a nice glass of wine
:icon_birthday: :icon_birthday: :icon_birthday: :icon_birthday: :icon_birthday:
  •  

Anatta

Kia Ora Grace,

The cat is well and truly out the bag...Congratulation... up up and away.....

Metta Anatta :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Ms Grace

YAY! Thanks, Cindy and Anatta! ;D

I should add that my mother said "I guess I have two daughters now" and I said "you always have" and she smiled and nodded. So happy!
Grace
  •  

Cindy

Quote from: Ms Grace on March 21, 2014, 01:19:40 AM

I should add that my mother said "I guess I have two daughters now" and I said "you always have" and she smiled and nodded. So happy!

Damn, now I'm crying
  •  

Anatta

Quote from: Ms Grace on March 21, 2014, 01:19:40 AM

Kia Ora Grace,

Treasure this moment...It will help see you through any hard times to come....

Metta Anatta :)
"The most essential method which includes all other methods is beholding the mind. The mind is the root from which all things grow. If you can understand the mind, everything else is included !"   :icon_yes:
  •  

Joan

I'm crying too.

I'm so, so glad it went well for you, Grace  :)
Only a dark cocoon before I get my gorgeous wings and fly away
Only a phase, these dark cafe days
  •