Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

How I got FFS Paid for by Insurance

Started by JLT1, March 21, 2014, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JLT1

This was a process: it has been long, sometimes humiliating and often frustrating.  However, even with a discount, the final price for me to have FFS went over $50,000 US.  I found motivation easily.  I also found discouragement and frustration even easier to come by.  I started the process in June of 2013, and got my approval letter March of this year.  Part of the problem was that my employer, who had offered a choice in carriers, cancelled my carrier and went with the cheaper carrier effective January 1, 2014.  As a result, all of the calls, letters, recommendations and endless explanations I had gone through needed to start again.  Then, there was the plan change. 

My new insurance plan stated that they would pay for SRS and with sufficient medical justification, breast augmentation.  Other surgeries, such as tracheal shave and rhinoplasty would be addressed on a case by case basis.  We do know that several of us have transitioned over the past few years with the same low cost carrier and none managed to meet the requirements.  The biggest problem is that they would not tell anyone what was needed; just constant reviews and denials for feedback.  In the end, this was what I needed:

1.  A letter of recommendation from my primary care physician.  The form and requirements of a WPATH recommendation for SRS from a psychologist had to be followed.  In addition, the letter had to address my physical health and any possible undo risks of surgery.

2.  A letter of recommendation from my psychologist, following WPATH SRS standards.

3.  A letter from the surgeon stating what was being done and why as well as a letter under the WPATH guidelines for a psychologist recommending SRS.

4.  A plan, from me, detailing my journey to becoming a woman, including dates for milestones:  When I started with my psychologist, when I started HRT, when I started RLE, when I will be changing my legal name and gender (with court appointment documentation), when I will have SRS (with letter from surgeon documenting date).

5.  The surgeon (Dr. Z) was also kind enough to provide legal references to two court decisions stating that FFS was a medical treatment for GID and not a cosmetic surgery.  Dr Z also provided them with recognized insurance codes for the treatment. (These two items were critical.)

Overall, most of this is needed for SRS, from the surgeon or for the actual transition.  The only additional item was the letter from my primary care physician.  I called and called and finally found someone who worked with me.  She was fantastic.  No, it was not fair.  Now we know, now we can make it easier for those who follow and perhaps, those who have already transitioned.

Hugs,

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

mrs izzy

Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

swatch

Jen, this is excellent. And excellent work. Be proud.
This is ok, I guess.
  •  

amber4400

Wow Jen, this is amazing!

I'm a bit worried now, you say you're FFS in total would cost 50k, but I would only be able to save around 20-25k and it seems like I won't be able to afford it.

I just have a quick question, my Company's insurance plan explicitly states that "cosmetic surgeries" for trans patients will not be covered, including FFS and breast augmentation.  Was that the same case for you, and you fought to appeal that?

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: amber4400 on March 22, 2014, 02:35:38 PM
Wow Jen, this is amazing!

I'm a bit worried now, you say you're FFS in total would cost 50k, but I would only be able to save around 20-25k and it seems like I won't be able to afford it.

I just have a quick question, my Company's insurance plan explicitly states that "cosmetic surgeries" for trans patients will not be covered, including FFS and breast augmentation.  Was that the same case for you, and you fought to appeal that?

Any info is GREATLY appreciated!

Amber,

Before I get to your answer, please be aware that my avatar is, more or less, what I will look like after FFS.  I currently have serious male features and cannot pass at all. 

The cost of FFS is dependent on the cost of the individual procedures.  I'm essentially having everything done: brow lift, orbital rim bossing, blepharoplasty, cheek augmentation, rhinoplasty, upper lip lift, chin reduction, multi-plane face lift and tracheal shave.  That's a lot of work and everyone doesn't need it.  Figure 3-6K per procedure and then figure out what you need to get at your total cost.

My plan did forbid cosmetic surgery.  It did forbid surgery under transgender coverage surgery to correct old injuries (e.g. septology to correct a broken nose).  It did allow for facial surgery and BA with medical justification.  The key there is that they had never paid a claim because medical justification could not be met.

In your case, it could be even tougher.  You will need to start with the court cases showing that this isn't being done for cosmetic purposes and second, that the insurance codes, recognized throughout the industry, are not for cosmetic surgery.  (I'll post that information Monday, this thread.) You may want to first contact your state's insurance board with your ducks in a row and find a sympathetic ally.  Know the law first.  Have it all together and then go for it.  This isn't cosmetic surgery.   However, you probably don't need it all as I do.  Go only for what you really need and use your money to get whatever else you want.

If you need additional help that cannot be posted on an open forum..  PM me and I'll do what I can.

Good Luck...

Hugs,

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

FrancisAnn

That is amazing that you were able to organize this & actually receive help from an insurance company. My health insurance is with Blue Cross & I'm sure there is no chance for any help with change/correction of gender.

Anyway good for you GF.
mtF, mid 50's, always a girl since childhood, HRT (Spiro, E & Fin.) since 8-13. Hormone levels are t at 12 & estrogen at 186. Face lift & eye lid surgery in 2014. Abdominoplasty/tummy tuck & some facial surgery May, 2015. Life is good for me. Love long nails & handsome men! Hopeful for my GRS & a nice normal depth vagina maybe by late summer. 5' 8", 180 pounds, 14 dress size, size 9.5 shoes. I'm kind of an elegant woman & like everything pink, nice & neet. Love my nails & classic Revlon Red. Moving back to Florida, so excited but so much work moving
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: FrancisAnn on March 22, 2014, 07:31:38 PM
That is amazing that you were able to organize this & actually receive help from an insurance company. My health insurance is with Blue Cross & I'm sure there is no chance for any help with change/correction of gender.

Anyway good for you GF.

My old insurance company was Blue Cross and Blue Shield.  I dealt with them for four months and when my company decided to change, they stopped working with me.  Had we not changed, it would have been approved.  I got them down to just one recomendation left and that was the one from my pimary MD.  I just couldn't meet the time line as my primary is busy. You can do it if your policy covers SRS.

Hugs,

Jen
  •  

FrancisAnn

Thanks on BCBS. I will check into it. I've had coverage with them for 6 years & pay them very well. That would be so nice.
mtF, mid 50's, always a girl since childhood, HRT (Spiro, E & Fin.) since 8-13. Hormone levels are t at 12 & estrogen at 186. Face lift & eye lid surgery in 2014. Abdominoplasty/tummy tuck & some facial surgery May, 2015. Life is good for me. Love long nails & handsome men! Hopeful for my GRS & a nice normal depth vagina maybe by late summer. 5' 8", 180 pounds, 14 dress size, size 9.5 shoes. I'm kind of an elegant woman & like everything pink, nice & neet. Love my nails & classic Revlon Red. Moving back to Florida, so excited but so much work moving
  •  

amber4400

Hi Jen,

There is a lot of confusing and contradicting information on the internet, I don't know if this thread is the right place to ask this question but just curious if you know the answer.  A source of confusion has to do with the HRC equality rights, and corporate index.  According to the Human Rights Campaign, any Company that receives a perfect score has to include transgender health benefits.  Reading the print the HRC provides is VERY vague to say the least, they say each Company needs to meet or exceed $75,000 worth of health benefits, including: SRS, HRT, FFS etc.  This is where it gets very confusing, my Employer is a top ten rated Company by them, and I read my health insurance coverage very thoroughly, and it explicitly states that all FFS, BA, Voice, Hair removal related procedures are all optional and excluded from coverage.  I really don't know where to go from here?

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer this!
  •  

JLT1

Amber: Still working on getting the informaiton.  I should have it tomorrow.  Are there different levels of insurance offered through your company?  Mine has four plans.  What you have said isn't right if they want to keep the rating.  I'll keep looking.

Hugs,

Jen

•  

Alaia

HRC does not require companies to cover FFS in order to get 100 on the CEI. I know because my company has a score of 100 and the insurance only covers therapy, HRT, labwork, GRS, and some secondary gender traits (breast aug, mastectomy, trachea shave). FFS, VFS, and electro are explicitly listed as not covered. Which sucks because at roughly $50000 it's going to be several years before I can even afford FFS :(

I have signed this petition to HRC so that maybe this will change in the future.

Jen, I am interested in the legal rulings Dr. Z. gave you concerning these gender reaffirming surgeries to be medically necessary and not cosmetic. I think I'm going to try and make a case with my employer that they should push for our insurance to cover such procedures.

"Let yourself be silently drawn by the strange pull of what you really love. It will not lead you astray."

― Rumi
  •  

Kyra553

Quote from: JLT1 on March 22, 2014, 08:02:27 PM
My old insurance company was Blue Cross and Blue Shield.  I dealt with them for four months and when my company decided to change, they stopped working with me.  Had we not changed, it would have been approved.  I got them down to just one recomendation left and that was the one from my pimary MD.  I just couldn't meet the time line as my primary is busy. You can do it if your policy covers SRS.

Hugs,

Jen

Im book marking this page for later reference! :D    I have BCBS, what was their response or needs to cover ffs?

EDIT

I did find this from BCBS about covering transgendered persons. Maybe other insurance companies have a page like this.

http://www.bluecrossma.com/common/en_US/medical_policies/189%20Transgender%20Services%20prn.pdf
  •  

JLT1

All....Codes and associated descriptions are below....Hugs,  Jen

CPT    21137   Endoscopic assist 3 dimensional reduction of orbital rim bone and frontal bone via high speed burring   

CPT   14041   Adjacent tissue transfer for scalp advancement

CPT   15824   Rhytidectomy; forehead with elimination of corrugator and procerus muscles

Primary feminizing rhinoplasty and septoplasty with inferior turbinate infracture   
CPT   30410   Rhinoplasty primary; complete external parts including bony pyramid, lateral and alar cartilages and/or elevation of nasal tip

CPT   30520   Septoplasty with submucous resection

CPT   30930   In-fracture of inferior turbinates

Full feminizing facelift of skin, SMAS plication and corset platysmaplasty with internal     suspension sutures   

CPT   15828   Minimal scar rhytidectomy of lower cheeks, chin and neck   

CPT   15829   Superficial SMAS plication

CPT   15825   Platysmal flap of neck

Chin feminization with three dimensional bone contouring and reshaping of chin soft tissue   
CPT   21209   Chin bone 3 dimensional endoscopic assist reduction via high speed burring and soft tissue reshaping

Trachael shave   
CPT   31750   Tracheoplasty, cervical   

CPT   21195   Bilateral reconstruction of mandibular rami and body with bone contouring via endoscopic assisted high speed burring   

CPT   21296-50   Bilateral intraoral reduction of medial masseter muscle   

CPT   40652   Vertical lip lift   

CPT   20926   Harvest of fat tissue grafts fat grafting (50cc) to temples, lips, cheeks, nasolabial folds   
CPT   21270-50   Bilateral cheek implants – malar augmentation with prostethic material (Medpor) and fixation with titanium screws

CPT   11954   Subcutaneous injection of fat in temples, nasolabial folds, lips and cheeks  bilaterally

CPT   19499   Cost of 1 pair Medpor 3mm cheek implants with 2 titanium screws   
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: Kyra553 on April 02, 2014, 10:19:23 PM
Im book marking this page for later reference! :D    I have BCBS, what was their response or needs to cover ffs?

EDIT

I did find this from BCBS about covering transgendered persons. Maybe other insurance companies have a page like this.

http://www.bluecrossma.com/common/en_US/medical_policies/189%20Transgender%20Services%20prn.pdf

Kyre,

None of the codes that are "forbidden" or are listed as not paid for by BC&BS are the ones that are considered medically necessary......

Perhaps you should try.

I think that it just might get covered.

Hugs,

Jen
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: Alaia on March 30, 2014, 07:50:05 AM
Jen, I am interested in the legal rulings Dr. Z. gave you concerning these gender reaffirming surgeries to be medically necessary and not cosmetic. I think I'm going to try and make a case with my employer that they should push for our insurance to cover such procedures.

FFS is not covered?  Read closer, all medically necessary procedures are covered.  See CPT codes above.

Hugs,

Jen
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: amber4400 on March 23, 2014, 11:47:14 PM
Hi Jen,

There is a lot of confusing and contradicting information on the internet, I don't know if this thread is the right place to ask this question but just curious if you know the answer.  A source of confusion has to do with the HRC equality rights, and corporate index.  According to the Human Rights Campaign, any Company that receives a perfect score has to include transgender health benefits.  Reading the print the HRC provides is VERY vague to say the least, they say each Company needs to meet or exceed $75,000 worth of health benefits, including: SRS, HRT, FFS etc.  This is where it gets very confusing, my Employer is a top ten rated Company by them, and I read my health insurance coverage very thoroughly, and it explicitly states that all FFS, BA, Voice, Hair removal related procedures are all optional and excluded from coverage.  I really don't know where to go from here?

Thank you so much to anyone who can answer this!

Try it anyway.  Make them reject the procedures and associated codes.

Hugs,

Jen
  •  

KelsieJ

Thank you so much for putting this info out there. Unfortunately, it doesn't help me personally, but I know it will be of benefit to others in the community that I can share the info with.

Thanks again
Kelsie
Be the change you want to be :)
  •  

Pinkkatie

I have Federal Blue Shield Blue Cross. I couldn't find anything in my plan covering SRS or FFS. I will have to look into getting referrals to see if I can get covered. I do plan on working with Dr. Z but I want to wait two years to see what the HRT does to me first.

Thanks for putting this information together!

•  

ldzilch

Quote from: JLT1 on March 21, 2014, 10:51:04 AM
The surgeon (Dr. Z) was also kind enough to provide legal references to two court decisions stating that FFS was a medical treatment for GID and not a cosmetic surgery.  Dr Z also provided them with recognized insurance codes for the treatment. (These two items were critical.)

I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can get a response anyway. I can't figure out how to send a PM.

Could you provide the names of the two court decisions? I'm trying to get SSI to speed up my back pay and that info certainly wouldn't hurt.

Thx
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: ldzilch on November 22, 2014, 01:40:41 AM
I know this is an old thread, but hopefully I can get a response anyway. I can't figure out how to send a PM.

Could you provide the names of the two court decisions? I'm trying to get SSI to speed up my back pay and that info certainly wouldn't hurt.

Thx

Hi,

You can't send a PM until you get enough posts (15??).  I won't have time to look through everything until tomorrow night - I'm at work right now..... :(.  For now, use this tread as your PM system.  I check for new responses every couple of days so we can get you started with help. 

Hugs,

Jen
  •