Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How I got FFS Paid for by Insurance

Started by JLT1, March 21, 2014, 10:51:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

transnztal

An update for me. I tried the pre authorization for FFS win Aetna I went in every letter and info mentioned in this forum and they denied it saying its "cosmetic" so now I have to start the apeal process. I got my response back within 3-4 weeks I'm just posting now because I put the next step on hold due to my recent breast augmentation. I'll post the next steps I take as well on here the more info the more helpful it is for others.
  •  

FarfallinAlexa

My insurance case manager just answered. 

"Thank you for the email. I appreciate you sending me the WPATH Standards of Care Version 7.

The best way to find out what is covered ahead of time is to talk with the Benefits Value Adviser. Their phone number is Xxxxx. The other option is to speak with your surgeon regarding your interest and his office will submit the request. You will receive a letter either way. This is the first place to start.  It was my understanding the benefit was designed to primarily cover one top and one bottom transitioning. You are correct in that there is a difference between something "medically necessary" and "cosmetic".

I would like to remind you about your travel and lodging benefit of $10,000 available to members during the time they are receiving in-network services within the 48 contiguous states. . This benefit is available to the member and one caretaker."
  •  

Janae

I'm sorry I had to bump this, this thread is a goldmine of info!!!

Are there specific companies with particular polices that make it easier to win based on the appeals process? I'm thinking if there's some sort of list compiled by state, company and policy plan that'll make it easier for those going down this road.

I have care first Maryland through my employer and don't even know where to begin to even see if srs is covered let alone ffs.

•  

Dena

You need to read the policy because one company may write a number of different policies depending on what the pur>-bleeped-< desires. The first place to look is at the exclusions as they tend to spell them out.
Rebirth Date 1982 - PMs are welcome - Use [email]dena@susans.org[/email] or Discord if your unable to PM - Skype is available - My Transition
If you are helped by this site, consider leaving a tip in the jar at the bottom of the page or become a subscriber
  •  

LordeIsMyIdol

Hi Jen, I'm curious to know how you initiated your request for The coverage. My insurance states that it provides   Gender reassignment  surgery  that  is  not  cosmetic in nature. I reside in los Angeles which is pretty trans supportive when compared to other states so maybe i have a bit of a chance.
  •  

MandyMarx

I'm about to embark on this insurance journey myself, as soon as I settle on a particular surgeon to do the deed.

In my case, my insurer covers SRS but states that FFS and a number of other procedures "are considered cosmetic services and generally non-covered when used to improve the gender specific appearance of an individual who has undergone or is planning to undergo gender reassignment surgery." So, ignoring that the final clause of the sentence doesn't actually describe me at all, I see that the exclusion only applies "when used to improve the gender specific appearance," which is a verbiage very strongly evocative of the decision in O'Donnabhain v. Commissioner, which in turn centered upon whether a given procedure was truly medically necessary under the WPATH SoC. This will clearly be a very uphill battle, but at least they've left the door open.

The good news is, my therapist is on board with my plans here, and he said I can have a letter signed by the center's full "gender team" of multiple therapists, the managing PhD psychologist, and an advisory MD - the same level of documentation they provide for their patients who need bottom surgery. I've also got a fairly recent state ruling on my side (PA Dept of Insurance Notice 2016-05) which states that insurers "will not deny or limit coverage for a specific health service related to gender transition if such denial or limitation results in discriminating against a transgender individual.'' So, as I see it, my argument goes:

1) My insurance recognizes gender dysphoria as a condition to be treated.
2) FFS is a necessary step in the treatment of my dysphoria.
3) Therefore, this is medically necessary reconstructive surgery for the treatment of a covered condition.
  •  

Kyra553

Please let us know how it goes Mandy! =)
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: MandyMarx on December 17, 2016, 04:48:04 PM
I'm about to embark on this insurance journey myself, as soon as I settle on a particular surgeon to do the deed.

In my case, my insurer covers SRS but states that FFS and a number of other procedures "are considered cosmetic services and generally non-covered when used to improve the gender specific appearance of an individual who has undergone or is planning to undergo gender reassignment surgery." So, ignoring that the final clause of the sentence doesn't actually describe me at all, I see that the exclusion only applies "when used to improve the gender specific appearance," which is a verbiage very strongly evocative of the decision in O'Donnabhain v. Commissioner, which in turn centered upon whether a given procedure was truly medically necessary under the WPATH SoC. This will clearly be a very uphill battle, but at least they've left the door open.

The good news is, my therapist is on board with my plans here, and he said I can have a letter signed by the center's full "gender team" of multiple therapists, the managing PhD psychologist, and an advisory MD - the same level of documentation they provide for their patients who need bottom surgery. I've also got a fairly recent state ruling on my side (PA Dept of Insurance Notice 2016-05) which states that insurers "will not deny or limit coverage for a specific health service related to gender transition if such denial or limitation results in discriminating against a transgender individual.'' So, as I see it, my argument goes:

1) My insurance recognizes gender dysphoria as a condition to be treated.
2) FFS is a necessary step in the treatment of my dysphoria.
3) Therefore, this is medically necessary reconstructive surgery for the treatment of a covered condition.

Perfect. 

Hugs,

Jen

P.S.  If that doesn't work, appeal to the state Board of Insurance.  There is a sample letter in here somewhere.
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

andreah

One thing that is tricky is navigating in-network and out-of-network. I am going to be submitting an FFS consult quote to my insurance next month - I have called and they confirmed that CPT codes for rhinoplasty and forehead work is covered by my plan. However, since it is out of network, I am responsible for 30% of the cost, and insurance uses 'allowed limits' to also make out-of-network really expensive. All FFS surgeons who take insurance are out-of-network that I know of.

Example: Rhinoplasty is billed as $6000, insurance claims this procedure has an allowed limit of $1000, so they will pay 70% of that $1000 and I will pay the rest. This is how I understand it - we will see how they end up covering it. I know that FFS rhinoplasty and forehead work seems to be much more than allowed limits that I can find online are.

Anyone have experience with this?
  •  

LebanesePrincess

Hey ladies ! Has anyone gone through the ffs coverage process in Massachusetts ? Moving there soon and would like to know what paper work I need to have done before moving over so that he foot work is done . I know it's the same process as getting srs covering with wpath and all . But how do you even start this process ? I'm going for spiegel and the health plan I'm takin on is Harvard pilgrim or universal health since the receptionist at spiegels office said these two companies are great for the ffs coverage
  •  

JLT1

Quote from: LebanesePrincess on February 13, 2017, 11:55:53 PM
Hey ladies ! Has anyone gone through the ffs coverage process in Massachusetts ? Moving there soon and would like to know what paper work I need to have done before moving over so that he foot work is done . I know it's the same process as getting srs covering with wpath and all . But how do you even start this process ? I'm going for spiegel and the health plan I'm takin on is Harvard pilgrim or universal health since the receptionist at spiegels office said these two companies are great for the ffs coverage

When you are looking at insurance policies, make sure they cover SRS.  Then,  see Spiegal as he submits the paperwork.  I needed 2 letter from psyche, primarily doc and endo.  You will need something beyond just a submission from Siegal.

Good luck.  I did it in 2012.

Hugs

Jen
To move forward is to leave behind that which has become dear. It is a call into the wild, into becoming someone currently unknown to us. For most, it is a call too frightening and too challenging to heed. For some, it is a call to be more than we were capable of being, both now and in the future.
  •  

Daisy Raine

Hello my name is Daisy. I am just starting my research to find an insurance company that will cover me. I am working a rather low income job, and I am on the state medical at the moment. I live in Fargo ND, and North Dakota dont give any rights to transgender people. I guess what I am trying to get at is: what if any advice would you give to find a supplemental or even a insurance that will cover what I need done. I have been blessed with many features that are very feminine, but others that out rightly scream male! I have been searching, but I am not sure which company to go with. I have been living as a woman since about 2 weeks after I came out in June of 2016, and I have been on HRT since the beginning of October 2016. I have to pay out of pocket for my injections because they will only pay for the pills and patches (which dont really work for me). 
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: Daisy Raine on March 05, 2017, 04:57:18 PM
Hello my name is Daisy. I am just starting my research to find an insurance company that will cover me. I am working a rather low income job, and I am on the state medical at the moment. I live in Fargo ND, and North Dakota dont give any rights to transgender people. I guess what I am trying to get at is: what if any advice would you give to find a supplemental or even a insurance that will cover what I need done. I have been blessed with many features that are very feminine, but others that out rightly scream male! I have been searching, but I am not sure which company to go with. I have been living as a woman since about 2 weeks after I came out in June of 2016, and I have been on HRT since the beginning of October 2016. I have to pay out of pocket for my injections because they will only pay for the pills and patches (which dont really work for me).

Hi Daisy,

Welcome to the site. I am sorry no one has answered you so far. I will post and renew the topic and hope someone has this info for you.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

JLT1

Quote from: andreah on February 05, 2017, 03:55:08 PM
One thing that is tricky is navigating in-network and out-of-network. I am going to be submitting an FFS consult quote to my insurance next month - I have called and they confirmed that CPT codes for rhinoplasty and forehead work is covered by my plan. However, since it is out of network, I am responsible for 30% of the cost, and insurance uses 'allowed limits' to also make out-of-network really expensive. All FFS surgeons who take insurance are out-of-network that I know of.

Example: Rhinoplasty is billed as $6000, insurance claims this procedure has an allowed limit of $1000, so they will pay 70% of that $1000 and I will pay the rest. This is how I understand it - we will see how they end up covering it. I know that FFS rhinoplasty and forehead work seems to be much more than allowed limits that I can find online are.

Anyone have experience with this?
[/quote, ]

Out of network....  yep, been there done that. 

Many  insurance policies state that if a needed service isn't available in network, they will cover out of network costs at in network levels.  Challenge them. 

If they have a set costyle for a procedure, ask for information as to where they got that number.  Then, appeal. 

Hugs

Jen

•  

JLT1

Quote from: Daisy Raine on March 05, 2017, 04:57:18 PM

HI Daisy!!!

I was born in Fargo.  I got my first PhD from UND. I own a small resort not that far away on the Minnesota side...  Work in the Twin Cities though.  Yeah ND isn't exactly transgender friendly. 

Contact the state insurance board for a list of insurers. Then, it's start calling.  Takes a while. 

Wish I had better advice..

Hugs

Jen
  •  

limecat

Alright, I'm doing this! I've been watching this thread for awhile since I've decided I'm getting FFS, but most importantly, I'm going to get insurance to pay for it one way or another. I'm very patient, but also very committed. It's an uphill battle for sure, but one I hope will help to set a precedent.

Here's my current details:

State: California
Insurer: Anthem Blue Cross
Plan: Prudent Buyer Classic PPO 250-20/10 (modified)

Here's the relevant section of our Anthem policy regarding covered transgender related procedures:

Transgender Services. Services and supplies provided in connection with gender transition when you have been diagnosed with gender identity disorder or gender dysphoria by a physician. This coverage is provided according to the terms and conditions of the plan that apply to all other covered medical conditions, including medical necessity requirements, utilization management, and exclusions for cosmetic services. Coverage includes, but is not limited to, medically necessary services related to gender transition such as transgender surgery, hormone therapy, psychotherapy, and vocal training.

Coverage is provided for specific services according to plan benefits that apply to that type of service generally, if the plan includes coverage for the service in question. If a specific coverage is not included, the service will not be covered. For example, transgender surgery would be covered on the same basis as any other covered, medically necessary surgery; hormone therapy would be covered under the plan's prescription drug benefits (if such benefits are included).
Services that are excluded on the basis that they are cosmetic include, but are not limited to, liposuction, facial bone reconstruction, voice modification surgery, breast implants, and hair removal. Transgender services are subject to prior authorization in order for coverage to be provided. Please refer to UTILIZATION REVIEW PROGRAM for information on how to obtain the proper reviews.

It's great in that it covers GRS (which I'm getting in 3 days, yippee!) but given that it specifically excludes FFS and other procedures, I know I'm in for quite a bit of denials and subsequent appeals.

What I've done so far:

• Contacted our benefits provider regarding exclusions
  • Had consultations with a couple different FFS surgeons

Next up:

• Make an appointment with my GP
  • Make an appointment with my therapist
  • Gather documentation, specifically official documents that state this is medically necessary as well as the relevant insurance codes (waiting on those from Dr. Z)

I believe the next steps after that would be to submit a pre-authorisation request, await the inevitable denial, then appeal the >-bleeped-< out of it, all the way up to the state board if necessary. Sound about right?

Of note, my company also offers Kaiser, which seems more friendly to non-GRS transgender related procedures as they mention that they may be covered if determined medically necessary, unlike Anthem's more hard line exclusion. Here's what I found after speaking to our benefits provider.

Transgender surgery is covered as a base benefit for all fully insured DHMO/HMO members with a diagnosis of gender dysphoria. Covered transgender surgical services include genital surgery and mastectomy with chest reconstruction and must be pre-authorized by the Medical Group. Services that are "cosmetic" (i.e., intended primarily to change or maintain appearance) are generally excluded from coverage for all members, unless the services are determined by a Plan physician to be covered as medically necessary reconstructive surgery.

Medical Services to treat gender dysphoria, such as mental health services and hormone therapy, are covered under the base medical benefit or supplemental drug benefit when determined by a Plan physician to be medically necessary.

As of 2016, many Kaiser plans have been offering FFS procedures through a couple local surgeons. Perhaps it makes more sense to wait until open enrolment next year to switch? I'm not sure of the answer yet, nor do I know if we'll even offer Kaiser in the new year, but I do feel it is in my best interests to move forward with Anthem as much as possible. Any progress is good progress!
  •  

Brooke

I might suggest finding out how your current insurer determines medical necessity for procedures not explicitly or implicitly listed. I.e. If it was a treatment or surgery for a super rare condition. This should give you a framework on how to build your case.

For instance my insurer determines medical necessity through best evidence. That is they look for standards of care generally agreed upon in said field. That lacking they look for any peer reviewed research, that lacking they defer to the opinion of the medical provider.

This allows me to use wpaths updated medical necessity statements and specifically their stance on treatment must be customized in the context of specific surgical procedures.

~Brooke~
  •  

Jacqueline

Quote from: limecat on April 11, 2017, 12:43:40 AM
Alright, I'm doing this! I've been watching this thread for awhile since I've decided I'm getting FFS, but most importantly, I'm going to get insurance to pay for it one way or another. I'm very patient, but also very committed. It's an uphill battle for sure, but one I hope will help to set a precedent.

Here's my current details:

State: California
Insurer: Anthem Blue Cross
Plan: Prudent Buyer Classic PPO 250-20/10 (modified)

Here's the relevant section of our Anthem policy regarding covered transgender related procedures:

It's great in that it covers GRS (which I'm getting in 3 days, yippee!) but given that it specifically excludes FFS and other procedures, I know I'm in for quite a bit of denials and subsequent appeals.

What I've done so far:

• Contacted our benefits provider regarding exclusions
  • Had consultations with a couple different FFS surgeons

Next up:

• Make an appointment with my GP
  • Make an appointment with my therapist
  • Gather documentation, specifically official documents that state this is medically necessary as well as the relevant insurance codes (waiting on those from Dr. Z)

I believe the next steps after that would be to submit a pre-authorisation request, await the inevitable denial, then appeal the >-bleeped-< out of it, all the way up to the state board if necessary. Sound about right?

Of note, my company also offers Kaiser, which seems more friendly to non-GRS transgender related procedures as they mention that they may be covered if determined medically necessary, unlike Anthem's more hard line exclusion. Here's what I found after speaking to our benefits provider.

As of 2016, many Kaiser plans have been offering FFS procedures through a couple local surgeons. Perhaps it makes more sense to wait until open enrolment next year to switch? I'm not sure of the answer yet, nor do I know if we'll even offer Kaiser in the new year, but I do feel it is in my best interests to move forward with Anthem as much as possible. Any progress is good progress!

Welcome to the site.

Wow seems like some very positive steps in the FFS direction. Congratulations. I hope it all goes smoothly.

I also want to share some links with you. They are mostly welcome information and the rules that govern the site. If you have not had a chance to look through them, please take a moment:

Things that you should read

Once again, welcome to Susan's. Look around, ask questions and join in.

With warmth,

Joanna
1st Therapy: February 2015
First Endo visit & HRT StartJanuary 29, 2016
Jacqueline from Joanna July 18, 2017
Full Time June 1, 2018

•  

EmmaLoo

I've already had more FFS than should be allowed LOL, but there was something that I was interested in so I asked an FFS surgeon for a quote. After I got the quote, which is in-network, he has to send in a pre-determination, just to see what might be covered. Then after that, he would submit a pre-authorization for the procedure. I'm not holding my breath here because it's a long shot at best. On the other hand, they did approve my GRS in less than a week.

I think what I fear most of all is the window of opportunity to use insurance closing should they repeal the ACA. There's really no telling how fast our friendly State Legislators will move to deny and exclude transgender people healthcare coverage due to pre-existing conditions, given the slightest opportunity.

When I was in the hospital after GRS I found it revealing that so many nurses were curious about whether my insurance was covering the surgery. That bugged me even though I didn't tell them one way or another.

Seriously, I'm just winging it like everyone else. Sometimes it works, other times -- not so much. HRT 2003 - FFS|Orch 2005 - GCS 2017 - No Regrets EVER!
  •  

JLT1

Hi,

I had kind prior to ACA.  If they cover any part of over gender transition, you can, with effort, get coverage..  However, it's probably  easier with ACA in place..

Hugs

Jen
  •