Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Caffeine addiction

Started by Monique, April 01, 2014, 09:07:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monique

Is caffeine addiction dangerous, I seem like that I have to drink 1 cup of coffee and a cup of tea to wake me up everyday. so I just wonder if that's bad or not good.
tu sei quello che sei, essere felici nella vostra vita e vivere la vostra vita come volete, questo è il mio consiglio per chiunque. :D
  •  

Vicky

I think most of us who are recovering addicts would pretty much agree that if your caffeine intake is controlling you and making your life unmanageable, then yes it is harmful to you and others around you.  A question is, "Can you stop taking the drug by your own choice, and stay stopped?"  When you face a serious problem or task, do you immediately reach for the caffeine to enable you to face life?  Those are questions to ask of any drug or chemical substance that may be interfering with your life. Addiction is indicated by inability to quit and stay off the drug, it is also indicated when you "need" it to face life on life's terms.  You have to answer the questions and make your decision, and possibly reach out for help. 

Addiction Medicine is a recognized field of medicine these days and there are medical options to helping you overcome drug cravings, and withdrawal symptoms, and there is psychological counseling to deal with the underlying stress issues that lead to addiction.

As far as the physiological affects of caffeine, you will have to have your doctor evaluate you for issues specific to it.  I know it causes sleep and anxiety issues, and with too much of it, it can impair your decision making abilities.  I myself had a caffeine overdose one time, and developed visual hallucinations while driving on an open highway.  18 wheeler trucks acting like WWII fighter planes is not funny. 

I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Unice

What she said. Also, it is like anything at all that one ingests or any behavior that one engages in. You can cause harm to yourself with it.

The negative results I have from caffeine are skin dryness, lack of focus, anesthesia (meaning that I don't feel that I am causing my body distress) and insomnia.

A significant thing there is that your behavior is always variable. It's not like there are some things that are 0% addictive and others that are 100% addictive. Also, there is nothing that is 0% healthy or 100% healthy. So, you can't just choose a few things and follow a routine and have everything you want.  At all times, you are part of the equation and make choices moment to moment. It is always a matter of weighing the benefit against the cost.

A buddhisty concept is that existence is suffering. In the same general concept there is nothing that persists in the universe. All that we cherish is an illusion. We try to force things we cherish to persist when there is no such thing.

Addiction is what we call particularly painful examples of our attachment to an illusion of a frame of reference.

Meaning, caffeine addiction can be bad. If it is very very bad, there is probably a deeper related issue that is more significant.
I have deduced that I am not wanted here.
  •  

Monique

caffine addiction can be bad but it cant kill you unlike other substances, at least it keeps you awake if you are tired, there are other worse addictions, tobacco, alcohol even marijunana. alcohol and tobacco are very common and are the worst addictions both can kill you, tobacco, heart disease, lung cancer. alcohol, stroke, Cirrhosis of the liver, pancritiis, mouth, throat and stomach cancers not to mention, personal problems, trouble with the law, drinkin and driving, abuse and person relationship problems. be glad that caffeine isn't as bad as others cant say about mary jane I have no idea what it does but it is illegal so im sure its not great.
tu sei quello che sei, essere felici nella vostra vita e vivere la vostra vita come volete, questo è il mio consiglio per chiunque. :D
  •  

Monique

Quote from: Vicky on April 02, 2014, 12:21:32 AM
I think most of us who are recovering addicts would pretty much agree that if your caffeine intake is controlling you and making your life unmanageable, then yes it is harmful to you and others around you.  A question is, "Can you stop taking the drug by your own choice, and stay stopped?"  When you face a serious problem or task, do you immediately reach for the caffeine to enable you to face life?  Those are questions to ask of any drug or chemical substance that may be interfering with your life. Addiction is indicated by inability to quit and stay off the drug, it is also indicated when you "need" it to face life on life's terms.  You have to answer the questions and make your decision, and possibly reach out for help. 

well, caffeine might be a big problem but I think alcohol is a bigger problem for me, it seems like that im still drinking a lot, I had 1 cup of coffee and 3 cups of tea but drank 4 beers later on so it seems alcohol addiction is worse than caffeine, caffeine may keep me awake but alcohol is probably kill me inside not to mention my liver in the process but since I want to be a girl anyway I always feel like that I want to end my life and be born into a female so I guess im depressed at the same time, it seems its hard to cope with this stuff and its hard been dealing with it since I was 6 and its getting worse, ive hurt myself in the past by stabbing myself countless of times. I just don't know what to do anymore. I guess I can wait it out but it seems my drinking is getting worse everyday.

•  

@Diana

I love COFFEE !! I have to drink twice a day .. in the morning & in the arvo !!  ;D

•