Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Craving for alcohol

Started by Monique, April 09, 2014, 10:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Monique

Does craving for alcohol mean addiction to the stuff, it seems like that ive been craving for it a lot more and haven't been drinking at all but been craving for a beer for so long so im not sure.
tu sei quello che sei, essere felici nella vostra vita e vivere la vostra vita come volete, questo è il mio consiglio per chiunque. :D
  •  

Vicky

Craving by itself does not make you a set in concrete addict.  How you respond to the craving and the amount of control you still have over it is the deciding factor.  You keep asking these questions though and seem worried about them.  I have answered you in a couple of other posts like this one, and the answer I think is most in your favor is to go ahead and treat this issue, as if it were an addiction, no harm will come that way.  Do not treat it and you can become a crime statistic. If substances are goofing up your life to the point you have to keep asking about them, maybe you are an addict.  I am a proud and happy RECOVERING ADDICT, and that status in life has gotten me to people and therapies that now have my GD under the best control there can be.  As I said, even if you are not an addict, beginning the recovery that one of has to will not harm you and could save lives.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Daydreamer

I've been asking myself the same thing lately. Someone I know (I'll call him Ted) has been drinking quite a bit lately (it's only been two days and I don't know much he has drunk all together and it doesn't help he's on lots of meds too) during our Skype calls and it reminds me of when I was drinking quite a bit last spring and how much I missed it. In particular when I had no choice but to really distance myself from the stuff (I don't have the resources to afford my own yet due to my age), I remember being on the road with some friends and we had to drop one of them off in their hometown which was like 40 minutes from here and we stopped at a liquor store to get said from some Jack and I was really tempted to ask them to snag me some. I was kind of pissed at myself for a few hours about not saying anything (I had the money for it too).

The same goes for a benzo I was put on around the same time for my nighttime anxiety. It's been almost a year since I was taken off of it when my meds got changed and I've had to ask my fiance if it's normal that I miss being on them and how they made me feel.
"Stay tuned next for the sound of your own thoughts, broadcast live on the radio for all to hear." -- Cecil (Welcome to Night Vale)

•  

Vicky

There is such a thing as idealizing the use of any addictive substance or behavior, which is different than actual craving.  Getting that distinction into your mind can help you avoid actual addiction.  Why do you envy those who are intoxicated?  If they are still abusing their drugs of choice, they are NOT happy people in any way shape or form!!  Addictive boozing is frankly horrible, and brings you into even worse situations than the ones you felt it would cure or make better.  Love your friend, if you can, but do not idealize the behavior and "crave" it for your own.  But don't listen to me, since I have twice been an addict, and now twice been a recovering addict, but the addiction behavior did not get me to my gender issue resolution.  What got me to my resolution was sobriety based honesty about who and what I was and that lead to who and what I could be in reality that addiction can never produce.
I refuse to have a war of wits with a half armed opponent!!

Wiser now about Post Op reality!!
  •  

Satinjoy

Craving, having it mess with your relationships, your job, these are the warning signs.  It slowly takes control until it becomes everything.  And it is subtle and sneaky.

An AA speaker meeting can be useful, if you find that they are just like you, you know something is cooking there.  That is a meeting where they tell their story, what happened to them, what its like now sober.

Check the internet for AA intergroup in your area, and give them a call.

I know craving all to well.

AA is cool.  You don't have to commit to anything, you don't have to say anything, you can hang out in the back and just listen.

If you are alcoholic, the sooner you get there, the better.  I am alcoholic.  AA was the best thing that ever happened to me.  Saved my life back in the day, from booze.  I still go I enjoy it and I like helping others.

Alcohol is a separate issue totally from dysphoria.  It may lie to you and say it is linked, or use dysphoria as an excuse to justify drinking, but ultimately, if you are addicted to booze, no justification is needed.  Booze wants booze.  Dysphoria may drive you there, to relieve any associated pain, but booze is about booze.  And AA only cares about helping you not drink, they won't worry much about presentation, unless it becomes an excuse to drink.

Worth a little visit.  They are very nice people.   If you don't feel like it applies, you have an answer, your gut will know.  You don't have to join anything, all you have to do is not talk outside the meeting about whoever is there, that is our rule, it is an anonymous program.

Sobriety does help by the way in accepting and coping with GD.  It made a big difference with me.

Good stuff here from Vicky too, I agree with her.
Morpheus: This is your last chance. After this, there is no turning back. You take the red pill - the story ends, you wake up in your bed and believe whatever you want to believe. You take the little blue pills - you stay in Wonderland and I show you how deep the rabbit-hole goes

Sh'e took the little blue ones.
  •