Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A Breast Examination

Started by stephanie_craxford, December 05, 2005, 06:00:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stephanie_craxford

OK, don't laugh...

I went for a scheduled medical check up today with my new doctor, but this one was different.  The doctor gave me my first breast exam  :).  It was so great (OK get your minds out of the gutter) not the exam itself, but how it made me feel.  To be honest the exam hurt a little, but it was just so reaffirming.  She asked me if I had been shown how to perform a breast examination on my self, and I said yes, that my wife had shown me.

Don't get me wrong, this is a very serious issue that I know all women dread, but also a very important one that can save lives.  It was just that this was the first time that my exam was almost totally a female one.

But I have to tell ya that I was bouncing off the ceiling for the rest of the day :).

Steph
  •  

Dennis

Well I hope no doctor tries to do a prostate exam on me!

Dennis
  •  

stephanie_craxford

:), please turn your head and cough...

Didn't think of that one did ya Dennis  ;D

Steph
  •  

Leigh

Steph

Thats how I found out that I had cancer of the lymph nodes.  I went in for the mammo four years ago and she was checking all the likely places for lumps before the squeeze box  :'( was used.

Bio heritage not withstanding, the chances of breast cancer are about the same.  Massive doses of HRT certainly contribute to the risk.

Leigh

•  

Leigh

Quote from: Dennis on December 05, 2005, 06:49:11 PM
Well I hope no doctor tries to do a prostate exam on me!

Oh I have a comment here but this time I think it best I do not  :-X
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Leigh on December 05, 2005, 07:36:18 PM
Steph

That's how I found out that I had cancer of the lymph nodes.  I went in for the mammo four years ago and she was checking all the likely places for lumps before the squeeze box  :'( was used.

Bio heritage not withstanding, the chances of breast cancer are about the same.  Massive doses of HRT certainly contribute to the risk.

Leigh

It certainly is a sobering thought.  We all start our transition with nothing but hope and that we will be fine with our HRT, therapy, coming out and such.  And although i was so happy to be treated as a female in a way that only females can, it sure does sober you up thinking of the purpose of the breast examination, and it makes you realise how devastating breast cancer is.

Steph
  •  

Sarah Louise

I had a tumor removed from my right breast many years ago, I hate the stitch marks on one side of my nipple, that has made growth very slow on that side.  The only good thing was it was non cancerous.

Sarah
Nameless here for evermore!;  Merely this, and nothing more;
Tis the wind and nothing more!;  Quoth the Raven, "Nevermore!!"
  •  

Sheila

Steph,
thats great that you have gotten your exams. Just this last year my Dr. examine my vagina to make sure everything was healing right and nothing else growing on the inside. I still have my prostate gland so I needed that checked as well. I got a mammogram done and they found it to be very firm, I guess you would call it, so they did an ultrasound on my breast. They told me that because my breasts were still growing that they couldn't really get a good picture with the mammo. So they did an ultrasound. It had me scared. So, I have been checked from top to bottom. The only thing they found was that my blood is to fat.
Sheila
  •  

stephanie_craxford

That's good news Sheila.

Medical check ups seem to be missed by many when they start to transition.  Although I had rationalized that I would need to continue with regular yearly medical check ups, the significance of them was only brought home to me with that first breast exam.

Speaking of the prostrate, mine is OK as well (maybe too much info)  :)  So that's good.  I'm positive that my virtually fat free eating is one of the main reasons I am so healthy at 53.  :)

Chat later,

Steph
  •  

LostInTime

My endoc made sure to show me how to do it correctly on my first visit and now I check about once a month.  I do need to be better about that.
  •  

ginaroxx79

I was excited during my first breast exam as well. I felt soo feminine and also good about checking. The last time I went my GP (who is female) said by I had enough tissue to start doing anual mammograms. She said it in a way that made me feel as though she wanted me to be excited about having my breasts squished. OUCH!!!
She has been my only doc since beginning transition and I think this is why she seemed so enthusiastic. I am her first trans patient and she has been nothing but supportive and, honestly, the best doc I've ever had. We have worked together the whole way, I have appreciated this greatly.
  •  

DawnL

I had my first mammogram last month and it wasn't nearly as bad as I expected, given how sensitive developing breasts can be.  I am in the records as female (not trans) and I did not expect the question the tech asked me which was "when was your first period".  I thought for a second and said, "I never had a period."  Her jaw dropped, "Never?"  She didn't say anything further and I don't know what she thought but for those of you heading to your first mammogram, you may want to have an answer ready if you plan to go stealth. 

Dawn
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: DawnHer jaw dropped, "Never?"

Ha, ha, I would have loved to have seen the look on her face, I can't believe that she didn't ask you why. :)  I had no such problem with my doctor for my breast exam as she knows that I'm transsexual.  Not that it is a bad thing.  Actually being transsexual helped get me on her patient list, otherwise I think that I would still be looking for a doctor to care for my needs.

Steph
  •  

Sheila

When I went to get my first mammogram, I got an insensitive receptionist. Well, being me, she asked me, out loud where everyone in the whole country could hear, why haven't you had any periods. I told her cause I was transexual and wouldn't have a period in just as loud of voice. It brought her supervisor over and she appoligized to me and we went on. Since then they treat like like all the rest of the patients. I'm not gong to be put back into the closet or feel like I'm something of a freak by some receptionist who knows I'm Trans. After all, I have been going to that clinic for over 5 years. I'm have been listed as female and this happened about 2 years ago.
Sheila
  •  

Sandi

My first clilnical breast exam was a couple months after switching over to the VA. It was interesting although a little uncomfortable.

My records also only indicate that I am female, and on my first trip to the VA for my initial exam they totally blew it. In spite of the fact that I called the day before to inform them that I was pre-op TS to avoid confusion, it apparently didn't get past the person who took my call.

I was sitting nervously while the Dr read my transferred records on the computer screen. Here and there a hmm or uh huh, then he about blew me off the chair with "I don't see any pap smear tests." After the initial shock quickly wore off I started to chuckle and said I guess you didn't get the word. I am a transsexual. He appologized and was good natured about it.

Then I told him I could have waited until he had me in the stirups to find out for himself. The Dr, Nurse and myself were rolling with laughter after that. The VA medical facilities in my area have been great service  with understanding.

It's about realizing the non-negotiable nature of human dignity, and the fact that others can't take that from me unless I give it away. ~Donna Rose~
  •  

Teri Anne

When I go in for  a mamo, I sometimes get asked:  (1) When was my last period? and (2) whether I'm pregnant (no, I'm not overweight).  I'm listed as female so presume these are standard questions that are asked of women patients at Kaiser.  I always "out' myself when these questions are asked because (1) my ego is not as fragile as it used to be and (2) like Sheila, am way over people reacting in any way to my transexuality and (3) it might be an important consideration for the tech to know that...bottom line, I'd rather be slightly embarrased than for someone to misdiagnose.  These people are there to help me.

Teri Anne
  •  

Shelley

Hi Teri Anne,

Judging by your photo I think I can understand them mistaking you for GG. As to outing yourself sounds to me like the way to go.

Shelley
  •