Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

What are you currently reading?

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sylvie

I'm reading The Sparrow by Mary Doria Russell, which so far is amaaaaaaazing. It's sci-fi of a literary fiction sort, and I've been mourning how busy I've been all week because all I want to do is drop everything and read it straight through.

What are you reading?
  •  

Cloudchamber

I'm currently indulging in the habit of juggling multiple books at the same time.  My primary book (for lack of a better word) is The Loser by Thomas Bernhardt, which tackles the insatiable human urge to be superlative- recounted from the perspective of a pianist who studied with virtuoso Glenn Gould, only to discover his own inferiority, and resultantly, his existential futility. Quite good and painfully relatable.

My secondary books are Blow Up by Julio Cortazar (short stories- all of them poignant and emotionally transformative in that incomparable magical realist way) and a textbook on differential geometry in physics, because I'm a nerd or something.

Anyway, I think this is a cool idea! We could start a trans book club or something :)
  •  

Blue Senpai

I'm reading "Beyond Magenta: Transgender Teens Speak Out" by Susan Kuklin.
  •  

Sylvie

I finished The Sparrow, which was amazing. Now I'm reading a short novel by Neil Gaiman (my first time reading him), The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

Quote from: Cloudchamber on June 29, 2014, 05:52:14 PM
My primary book (for lack of a better word) is The Loser by Thomas Bernhardt, which tackles the insatiable human urge to be superlative- recounted from the perspective of a pianist who studied with virtuoso Glenn Gould, only to discover his own inferiority, and resultantly, his existential futility. Quite good and painfully relatable.

This sounds fantastic. Adding it to my to-read list!
  •  

Rachel

I just finished "Think Like a Freak" from the guys that rote Freakenomics.

I am half way through Thinking Fast and Thinking Slow.
HRT  5-28-2013
FT   11-13-2015
FFS   9-16-2016 -Spiegel
GCS 11-15-2016 - McGinn
Hair Grafts 3-20-2017 - Cooley
Voice therapy start 3-2017 - Reene Blaker
Labiaplasty 5-15-2017 - McGinn
BA 7-12-2017 - McGinn
Hair grafts 9-25-2017 Dr.Cooley
Sataloff Cricothyroid subluxation and trachea shave12-11-2017
Dr. McGinn labiaplasty, hood repair, scar removal, graph repair and bottom of  vagina finished. urethra repositioned. 4-4-2018
Dr. Sataloff Glottoplasty 5-14-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal in office procedure 10-22-2018
Dr. McGinn vaginal revision 2 4-3-2019 Bottom of vagina closed off, fat injected into the labia and urethra repositioned.
Dr. Thomas in 2020 FEMLAR
  •  

Cloudchamber

Quote from: Sylvie on June 29, 2014, 08:24:07 PM
I finished The Sparrow, which was amazing. Now I'm reading a short novel by Neil Gaiman (my first time reading him), The Ocean at the End of the Lane.

This sounds fantastic. Adding it to my to-read list!

I hope you enjoy it! I'm only a few chapters in so far, so my description might turn out not to be 100% accurate, but I'd definitely recommend it. If you enjoy the narration, you might want to check out another book, thematically similar and quite brilliant- Auto Da Fe by Elias Canetti.

I looked up the The Sparrow and it sounds intriguing and rather profound. I'm usually not a big sci-fi person, but I'll have to make an exception. Thanks so much for the suggestion :)

Can't wait for more posts, there's nothing like connecting over literature.
  •  

xponentialshift

I'm trying to finish the last (tenth) installment of the Malazan Book of the Fallen. The problem is I keep trying to go back and reread the others because I get nostalgic and also because now I know so much more that they read completely differently than the first time through.

Definitely an Epic Fantasy series not to be taken lightly, but easily the best series I've ever read.
  •  

Eris

I loved the Malazan Book of the Fallen! Sergeant Helian is just... words fail to adequately describe her :)
Have you considered reading the Kharkanas trilogy about the Tiste Andii?

I've just finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.

I refuse to live in fear! Come hell or high water I will not back down! I will live my life!
But you have no life.
Ha. Even that won't stop me.

I will protect even those I hate, so long as it is right.

•  

xponentialshift

Quote from: Falconer on June 30, 2014, 05:08:59 PM
I loved the Malazan Book of the Fallen! Sergeant Helian is just... words fail to adequately describe her :)
Have you considered reading the Kharkanas trilogy about the Tiste Andii?

I've just finished Words of Radiance by Brandon Sanderson.
Yeah I definitely plan to read Kharkanas next. Well that or reread the first 10. (I also still have to read Ian's books: night of knives etc)
  •  

krogan

Currently reading 'Fremder' by Russell Hoban, 'Man Made Language' by Dale Spender and 'A Fine Balance' by Roshinton Mistry. And not long ago I finished Paulo Coelho's 'Veronica Decides to Die', which has made my top ten books list.
'... At me too someone is looking, of me too someone is saying, he is sleeping, he knows nothing, let him sleep on.' - Vladimir, Waiting for Godot

Doubt is a test of conviction. Fear is your true adversary.
  •  

Blue Senpai

Started reading "Angels & Demons" by Dan Brown.
  •  

Tossu-sama

Does it count that I just finished a book?
Ah, let's say it does count.

But the book in question was Torey Hayden's "Somebody else's kids". Started it today and finished it today, it was just that good.
  •  

GenTechJ

I'm currently reading Insurgent, the second book in the Divergent series. Good read actually, and my mom and I bought the trilogy after seeing the movie. Unlike Percy Jackson, the movie was actually pretty good when compared to the book.
"Keep your head down, and inch towards daylight" - Blade of Tyshalle, Matthew Woodring Stover
  •  

eli77

Just finished reading Ask the Passengers by A.S. King and before that Scars by Cheryl Rainfield. I'm going through a phase of trying to track down every readable queer girl fiction book. There aren't a ton unfortunately. Ask the Passengers was well written, but pretty derivative--I swear it's like every person who writes lesbian YA is trying to reproduce Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden. Scars is terrifying and wrenching. The writing is weaker, but the material is just... gah. I kind of wish I hadn't read it, even though it is well done.

Next up: Hild by Nicola Griffith, which my girlfriend's dad swears is good. My track record with Nicola Griffith is mixed so we shall see. Slow River was good, if totally unbalanced in tone. But Ammonite bored me and the poor writing of The Blue Place turned me off her Aud Torvingen series entirely.
  •  

marikvulpina

just started a reread of The Night Circus. it's essentially a novelization of a browser game. a browser game that's basically lovely story surrounded with making your numbers go up, so you can get more lovely story.
  •  

Auroramarianna

•  

Megan82

Im listening to an audiobook of The Tempest, and reading (for the millionth time) The Dark Towers of Trelochen.
  •  

✰Fairy~Wishes✰

I hope it's okay to post in a thread that's more that 30 days old. I'm so so sorry if it's not!

I've been reading How to Create a Mind by Ray Kurzweil. I'm a transhumanist so I like reading lots of transhumanist books.
I'd already read the book but it's interesting and there's lotsa stuff so I wanted to read it again.

I have a biiiiiiig collection of transhumanist books on Kindle, and I love them so much.
Look up in the sky, it makes you feel so high!
  •  

TabbytheDruid

@FairyWishes
I admit I didn't know what transhumanism was; reading about it on Wikipedia reminds me of soo many video games. This guy in a documentary had seen some time ago had some muscle removed from his forearm to have a mini computer (not raspberry pi) put into his skin that tells him when he's going to get sick.

I'm reading Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell, Black Bodies and Quantum Cats by I'm in bed for the night and I'm totes not getting out of bed to check and The Marriage of Heaven and Hell by William Blake
  •  

Natalie

I am finishing this book:

Garland, D. (2001). The culture of control: Crime and social order in  contemporary society. Chicago, IL: The University of Chicago Press.
  •