Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

What are you currently reading?

Started by Sylvie, June 20, 2014, 01:58:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FreyasRedemption

I found a science fiction book named "The Dark Between the Stars" by Kevin J. Anderson, in a book store when I was doing a general shopping trip to the nearest (that's 24 kilometers for me) shopping mall. Good literature in English is hard to find where I live, and it seemed decent, so I took it. And it hasn't been a disappointment. Only thing bad about it is that there is an earlier series by the author, which this book and its upcoming sequels are continuation for. So, I get references to past events which I haven't read about, and spoilers to the earlier series.
There is a better tomorrow.
  •  

islandgirl

Just started 'Blackberry Wine' by Joanne Harris. So far so good!
  •  

SarahMarie1987

"Station Eleven" by Emily St. John Mandel

It reminds me of Stephen King's "The Stand". But this story is more character driven and a bit lighter on the horror aspect of the end of the world.
"I'm learning to be brave in my beautiful mistakes"- Pink
  •  

rachel89

i just finished "A Queer and Present Danger" by Kate Bornstein

•  

islandgirl

About half way through 'Coastliners' by Joanne harris. Another good read. I am really enjoying her books.
  •  

SarahMarie1987

"After Party" by Daryl Gregory

It is a science fiction book about a drug that makes you have vivid hallucinations about God. Our protagonist wants to stop a new "church" that is coming up, because people who go off the drug end up going homicidal. The protagonist is a 40-ish lesbian, which was a total surprise, but the author does a good job of not sensationalizing that fact. Actually I would say the book is pretty queer-friendly, despite it being about drugs.
  •  

Lady Smith

•  

Lady Smith

Quote from: SarahMarie1987 on July 29, 2015, 04:48:40 PM
"After Party" by Daryl Gregory

It is a science fiction book about a drug that makes you have vivid hallucinations about God. Our protagonist wants to stop a new "church" that is coming up, because people who go off the drug end up going homicidal. The protagonist is a 40-ish lesbian, which was a total surprise, but the author does a good job of not sensationalizing that fact. Actually I would say the book is pretty queer-friendly, despite it being about drugs.

I've just purchased the Kindle edition on Amazon.  Thanks for the recommendation.
  •  

SarahMarie1987

Quote from: Lady Smith on July 31, 2015, 04:42:17 AM
I've just purchased the Kindle edition on Amazon.  Thanks for the recommendation.

You're welcome! :)

I am reading "Harry Potter & The Order of the Phoenix". My favorite Harry Potter hands down. Also a nice late summer or winter read because of its size.
  •  

islandgirl

'The Invention of Wings' by Sue Monk Kidd. Very good!
  •  

FreyasRedemption

Stephen King's "Doctor Sleep".
Still can't read that stuff in bed. I get paranoid enough at night, even without reading horror literature.
There is a better tomorrow.
  •  

Lady Smith

'Making Sense of Intersex' by Ellen K Feder.  It's available on Kindle.
  •  

Juniper

I'm reading the Vagabond series of books, by Takehiko Inoue! Was a series of comics/short bits all stuck together into a long series of books!
  •  

Sarah82

So I just finished: Luna by Julie Anne Peters, Being Emily by Rachel Gold.
I'm now reading the Oz series but it's becoming trying and I'm only in book two.
I'm waiting for The Shepherd's Crown, the last book by Terry Pratchett.

•  

islandgirl

'Off Season' by Anne Rivers Siddons. This is the second book by her that I have read. I like her stuff. Easy going.
  •  

Valwen

well not reading anything right now but I have spent more time in the last few years reading the dresden files than anything else, they are so good, so much fun I can even forget about the compleat lack of or negitive representation of LGBT people in the books.
What is a Lie when it's at home? Anyone?
Is it the depressed little voice inside? Whispering in my ear? Telling me to give up?
Well I'm not giving up. Not for that part of me that hates myself. That part wants me to wither and die. not for you. Never for you.  --Loki: Agent of Asgard

Started HRT Febuary 21st 2015
First Time Out As Myself June 8th 2015
Full Time June 24th 2015
  •  

Marcia

Quote from: Bobbi82 on August 20, 2015, 11:27:58 PM
So I just finished: Luna by Julie Anne Peters, Being Emily by Rachel Gold.
I'm now reading the Oz series but it's becoming trying and I'm only in book two.
I'm waiting for The Shepherd's Crown, the last book by Terry Pratchett.

If you liked Luna and Being Emily then you should check out Just Girls also by Rachel Gold. Emily plays a small part in it.
-Mark & Marcia
  •  

Sarah82

Quote from: Marcia on August 24, 2015, 01:13:45 AM
If you liked Luna and Being Emily then you should check out Just Girls also by Rachel Gold. Emily plays a small part in it.
Thanks Marcia, I will add it to my "Must read" list

•  

KyleEdric

Kitchen Confidential by Anthony Bourdain... For the fifth time in a row.
"I know your soul is not tainted, even though you've been told so."~Ghost 'Cirice'

•  

Jessika

The Transgender Guidebook by Ann L. Boedecker PhD on Amazon Kindle while at work at night.
My Fantasy is having Two Men at once...

One Cooking, One Cleaning.  ;D 

•