Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

No animated GIF or moving/blinking avatars or sigs please

Started by Nero, June 21, 2014, 09:07:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

Sorry, I know some people like them. But they are very distracting to those who don't. So nothing animated in your profile please. It shouldn't blink or move at all. Also please keep your signature field small. It should be just that - a signature, and not the star of your posts.

If you would like to share a cool GIF or animation, you may post it here. No nudity or inappropriate ones however.

This helps keep the forums pleasant for everyone.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Dianne

FA. Wouldn't it make more sense, for the person that doesn't like the avatar or signature to simply skip the post. I have skipped over thousands of posts since coming to Susan's. There are lot of misguided folks here. I simply ignore 98 percent of what they post.
I rarely post. Not articulate enough.
  •  

Jill F

Sorry, I'm with FA here. (OK, people, you can officially hate me now for being a complete buzzkill!)

I have ADD that I don't normally medicate and I find them distracting (SQUIRREL!).  You can't exactly ignore what you have to scroll through.

It's funny, I just pulled my "balls out" ticker for the same aesthetic that FA described.  It was just a big fat WGASA moment.
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Dianne on June 21, 2014, 09:57:21 AM
FA. Wouldn't it make more sense, for the person that doesn't like the avatar or signature to simply skip the post. I have skipped over thousands of posts since coming to Susan's. There are lot of misguided folks here. I simply ignore 98 percent of what they post.
I rarely post. Not articulate enough.

Yeah, in theory one could just skip those posts.

Quote from: Jill F on June 21, 2014, 12:25:04 PM
You can't exactly ignore what you have to scroll through.

Yep, by the time you notice the blinking thing and/or the poster it belongs to in order to skip it - the distraction has already happened. To me, it's like trying to read text on a website with constantly moving ads on the side. Now, one blinking thing a thread may not be as bad as that. But it still distracts from a smooth reading of the thread.

Also, our mods don't have the option of just ignoring every animated user or thread.

Anyhow, I realize some people enjoy these. So you could have a static image on your profile and share the animated stuff in a separate thread. I mean, people don't need to see it everytime you say something. Hopefully that's a good compromise.
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Monkeymel

On another forum (also on tapatalk) there is an option in my profile to ignore signatures. It made life so much easier. If I want to know more ill about a topic I'll PM someone.

Problem with anything annimated is that it can become a competition which us buzzkills ignore.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: Monkeymel on June 21, 2014, 01:06:18 PM
On another forum (also on tapatalk) there is an option in my profile to ignore signatures. It made life so much easier. If I want to know more ill about a topic I'll PM someone.

Problem with anything annimated is that it can become a competition which us buzzkills ignore.

But what it the person with the annoying signature has something to contribute or a good question that I would want to read or respond to?  I wouldn't want to throw the baby away with the bath water.
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: FA on June 21, 2014, 09:07:38 AM
Sorry nothing animated in your profile please. It shouldn't blink or move at all. Also please keep your signature field small. It should be just that - a signature, and not the star of your posts.

Good plan!  :eusa_clap:
  •  

Monkeymel

@jill - it doesn't ignore the post. Just ignores the signature element.
  •  

Ms Grace

Again, the mods can't really ignore sigs. Mainly due to needing to keep an eye out for individuals who use them to exploit certain forum rules.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Arch

Why don't we start a thread just for people's favorite animations?

And I agree that mods should not simply put people or their sigs on "ignore." We do have to monitor this stuff, after all, and we have run into quite a number of folks who have put inappropriate stuff in signature fields.

ETA: Looks like FA has already started the thread.
"The hammer is my penis." --Captain Hammer

"When all you have is a hammer . . ." --Anonymous carpenter
  •  

HoneyStrums

Im with FA on this.

The I ronic thing is. We have sigs here, and I see people still do somthing like.

"- Vicky" at the end of their posts. Concerning the tickers however I didnt mind them personally, they tend to bé personal reminders, not to big a just right kind of size :).

Some other forums are filled with images with similar resoloutions to these, "banners" I think they are called. Perhaps sugesting guidlines for sig images instead.

One of the perameters being not flashing? Or moveing? Perhaps this might bé better in the comment sections, because it is a sugestion. However untill these perameters for sig images are astablished, then it goes with the mods :) (the regulators of the forum)
  •  

Tysilio

Quote from: FA...nothing animated in your profile please. It shouldn't blink or move at all. Also please keep your signature field small. It should be just that - a signature, and not the star of your posts.
This is a very good idea. Even static signature images distract me, and the animated ones are seriously annoying.
Never bring an umbrella to a coyote fight.
  •  

immortal gypsy

Yippee skippie.
Some of the other members would be intelligent post or ask good question but some of there gif. or animations used would make me slightly ill so I would have to skip part of the post and the next few to make sure it was off my screen
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

Si vis bellum, parra pacem
  •  

TerriT

Is this the end of all those tracker thingies???

I don't even have a sig. I don't even have a completed profile lol.
  •  

Evelyn K

Got the message. FrancisAnn did seem upset about it thrice. Well she is dysphoria spittle flecked tirade inducing afterall to boot :D

* Evelyn K hit's the pause button

Hopefully better?
  •  

Ms Grace

Grace
  •  

Ms Grace

Quote from: TiffanyT on June 21, 2014, 09:59:05 PM
Is this the end of all those tracker thingies???

I don't even have a sig. I don't even have a completed profile lol.
No, they're not animated, not in the looping gif sense. As long as the sig is not too big or distracting there's no problemo.
Grace
  •  

V M

Thank you

Some of the gifs are kinda cute to begin with but can become rather annoying over time, especially on days when I'm dealing with a migraine and such
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

MacG

I don't see sigs. If I'm curious about somebody, I just go look at their profile. The purple or green text blinds me though. I have the forum look set on tap-a-talk to a dark background.
Oh well.

ativan

I get slight seizures from them.
I've asked people in the past to please stop them. Everyone understood when I explained why.
I can't go near strobe lights, even driving at sunset/sunrise by a long row of trees that the shadows strobe through the windows has almost caused me to crash a couple times. I've had to pull over and wait. Or drive very slowly on the shoulder.
When I see then on websites, I skip them. The info just isn't worth it.
HuffPo was doing this for awhile, but I think they have backed off for that very reason.
It's extremely uncomfortable and can put some people into a grand-mal seizure.
http://www.epilepsymatters.com/english/faqphotosensitive.html
If you've ever had this happen or seen it, you'd know.
I've learned to control them somewhat, but there is only so much you can do.
Ativan
  •