Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Ford Advertising

Started by Valerie, December 06, 2005, 09:51:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Valerie

Well, not sure if this should haven gone under another topic heading, but here it is anyway....

'Ford Says Ends Ads in Gay Publications"

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20051206/ap_on_bi_ge/ford_boycott_1;_ylt=AgCJrfIuGEjM2TtgYUoLJxhdlakA;_ylu=X3oDMTBiMW04NW9mBHNlYwMlJVRPUCUl

What got to me was this line here:   "The American Family Association first announced the boycott against Ford and related brands on May 31. The group said Ford gave thousands of dollars to gay rights groups, offered benefits to same-sex couples and actively recruited gay employees."  What i put in bold-type....I mean does this or does this not strike you as over the edge....boycotting a company in part because they hire gay employees?  Does this mean they think homosexuals shouldn't have jobs at all?  They're supposed to just quit being gay or wither away and get poor and die?  GGrrrr......  >:(

Valerie
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Forgive me Valerie, but geeeeeeeeze what is with christians...

My reply to Ford is in the mail...  as follows:

I will Boycott Ford products until such time as they print affirmation that they did not stop advertising activities in gay magazines as a result of pressure from the christian right, and that they will continue to support the GLBT Community as they would any other community.

Steph
  •  

Dennis

They already are claiming it had nothing to do with the Christian right. Just coincidence I guess.

Dennis
  •  

Leigh

FORD

F old
O n
R eligious
D emand
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Dennis on December 06, 2005, 05:44:24 PM
They already are claiming it had nothing to do with the Christian right. Just coincidence I guess.

Dennis

Funny they didn't cut advertising funding in other non-gay magazines

Steph
  •  

ILoveTSWomen

If you want to support a vehicle manufacturer that actively courts the gay and lesbian community very openly - you need to be driving a Saturn.

DennisInGA
  •  

Valerie

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on December 06, 2005, 05:33:44 PM
Forgive me Valerie, but geeeeeeeeze what is with christians...
No apologies necessary, dear Steph :)...but I will say that claiming to be Christian doesn't make you one...the proof is in the pudding, as they say, and the pudding these people are trying to serve wasn't made by Christ. 

Quote from: Stephanie Craxford on December 06, 2005, 06:59:26 PM
Funny they didn't cut advertising funding in other non-gay magazines
Well the article did say they are cutting back in other areas, but I find it suspicious that those 'other' things were not mentioned specifically. Also, why stop the ads in ALL gay magazines? Cutting back can take any shape they want it to, and they chose to stop running the ads in ALL the gay magazines they had previously advertised in.

Quote from: Leigh on December 06, 2005, 06:48:24 PM
FORD

F old
O n
R eligious
D emand
Good one, Leigh, you come up with that on your own?  Actually, I think you should send just that and nothing else to the opinion page of your local newspaper. 

I think it would be nice if some other high-profile periodicals decided to stop running Ford ads because of this.  It would be a profound statement if they put their dollar-signs aside to take a stand for a social issue. 

Valerie
  •  

Chell

Subaru is the one that courts the womens community.

In The L Word Subaru sponsors an out lesbian.  Now you know they would have a problem with this if they were opposed to being connected with any part of advertising to the gay world.

Chell
  •  

Shelley

Quotebut I will say that claiming to be Christian doesn't make you one.

To true Valerie unfortunately way too many unchristian acts are undertaken in the name of christianity.

Shelley
  •