Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How to improve hair and nail health

Started by Kassie, June 27, 2014, 03:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hyperduck_23

I jut wanted to give a big plus 1 for Biotin. I've been using it for a few years and have definitely seen improvement in my nails, which were prone to coming apart in layers and getting brittle as soon as they got anywhere near long enough for my liking.

Hard to say whether the hair has improved as Ive been doing a lot of things to help regain some of what I've lost over the past year and, when I started the Biotin, I'd been shaving my head for the previous 10 years, so there's not much to go on, really!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter and those who matter don't mind
- Dr Suess
  •  

Punzie

Biotin definitely works wonders.

My daily routine for hair and nail care is a multivitamin gummy and a viviscal extra strength vitamin in the morning, and another multivitamin gummy, viviscal extra strength vitamin, and a biotin 10000mcg pill in the evening. I always take them with a small meal and LOTS of water. If you follow a balanced diet and drink lots of water (I drink vitamin water for an extra boost in energy) you should see significant improvement in three months tops.

Drinking lots of water and the multivitamin also helps keep your system clean to prevent breakouts since sometimes biotin can cause unwanted breakouts (luckily it hasn't happened to me, but there have been several reports). I'd recommend using a cleansing moisturizer to keep your skin strong just in case the biotin has any unwanted side effects.
My Journey
9/1/2015 Fully accepted myself as Transgender
9/24/2015 First Therapy Session with Therapist
9/25/2015 Joined Susan's Place
2/?/2016 ~ Hopefully starting HRT!
  •  

Emocia

Is it alright if I heat style my hair frequently? I always make sure I use thermal protection and my flat-iron only goes up to 200 C/392 F.

I wash my hair with tresemme keratin smooth every 3 days. I make sure I use a minimal amount of shampoo and a larger amount of conditioner because my hair is pretty thick and frizzy sometimes. Keratin REALLY helps make your hair smooth.

I apply it by spreading my hair all the way back so it mixes in thoroughly and reaches the ends. Also, using a comb or a round brush helps if you have thick and wavy hair. I've heard people (who probably have naturally straight hair) say that you shouldn't do that lol.
  •  

Cindy

Hi Emocia

Sorry I missed your introduction. I'm in Australia so not too far away!

I have curly hair that I love to keep straight with the flat iron. My hairdressers tell me not to do so every day no matter what protection I use on my hair. I use keratin treatments as well.

Some days I just blow dry and comb rather than using the iron.
  •  

schwarzwalderkirschtort

I have really dry skin and hair, and my nails are fairly brittle, so i have more than a few tricks up my sleeve for this kinda thing (despite being ftm... for some reason i still follow most of these)

As for nails, I use a thin layer of vaseline on them overnight and when it's absorbed i use clear nail varnish. People never notice it really (thank goodness. so masculine to have these flawless shiny nails). File 'em instead of cutting them too, it's something my mom always made me do. My dad does it too... they both have crazy strong nails.

I also take odourless garlic and apple cider vinegar tablets, though I've been lazy with it recently and it's already starting to fade... They're really good!

as for hair, conditioning it once a week for a few hours with a mask and conditioner mix with some oil really does miracles. I used to follow a really strict routine, and it has crazy good results, but it's high maintenance naturally.
  •  

CaptFido87

Just curious, has anyone ever used the gummy biotin compared to the regular pill version? I used to use the gummies but never could say that it did any noticeable work. I was thinking about moving onto the gummies that are hair, nails and skin. I'm not a fan of taking pills but I like the gummies. I'd take the pills if they work better though.
Hi I'm Marty. I'm a MTF Transgender who wants nothing more than to finally let Samantha (Sammi) come out and play.

As of: 03/07/2015
  •  

FrancisAnn

Biotin is best, 10,000 mcg per day. You can find it anywhere & very inexpensive. Maybe take finerastride to help stop the wrong chemicals from slowing your hair growth & thickness. There is also a cuticle oil called Glorious Nails Naturally GNN that does wonders on your nails, it's used by women all over the world, look it up & order it, inexpensive.
mtF, mid 50's, always a girl since childhood, HRT (Spiro, E & Fin.) since 8-13. Hormone levels are t at 12 & estrogen at 186. Face lift & eye lid surgery in 2014. Abdominoplasty/tummy tuck & some facial surgery May, 2015. Life is good for me. Love long nails & handsome men! Hopeful for my GRS & a nice normal depth vagina maybe by late summer. 5' 8", 180 pounds, 14 dress size, size 9.5 shoes. I'm kind of an elegant woman & like everything pink, nice & neet. Love my nails & classic Revlon Red. Moving back to Florida, so excited but so much work moving
  •