Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

A wig for me

Started by Annabella, July 11, 2014, 11:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Annabella

I am shopping for a wig for me. The one in this pic is not mine, and also not good.
What do you think would look good with this face?
Do you have a recommendation for where to get wigs that look natural?

"But you can only lie about who you are for so long without going crazy."
― Ellen Wittlinger, Parrotfish
  •  

Jessica Merriman

The length, cut and color is you girl!!  ^-^

As far as suppliers try: Crossdresser.com, Paula Young and Glamour boutique.  :)
  •  

Annabella

OMG now I want breastforms too!
And I spent all my free cash from my last side project on video games dammit!

Which of these do you think?
(1)

(2)

(3)

(4)

I like all of them. Though, I find a lot of wigs seem to be stuck in the 1970s and 1980s. I kind of wish I could find something a bit more nowish.
  •  

AnnaCannibal

Any wig that will keep your elvish appearance.  You've got it, so why not work it?  Blonde goes great with your skin and I think the longer the better will suit you right.
Is it progression if a cannibal uses a fork?
  •  

antonia

Depends on your budget, on the easy side for the wallet I like

http://www.thebreastformstore.com/wigs-incognito-bliss.aspx

If you don't mind spending a bit more and will be using if for a while:

http://www.jonrenau.com/wigs/styles-we-love/blake
http://www.jonrenau.com/wigs/styles-we-love/zara

Also if you buy a synthetic wig you will have to buy a special shampoo, conditioner and de-tangler.
  •  

Annabella

I was also impressed with Zara, but that price tag.. I think I need to get my identity a bit more established with those around me before I start spending that kind of money.. Sooooo tempting though *grumbles*
  •  

Jessica Merriman

I think #4 would be great on you!  ^-^
  •  

Annabella

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on July 12, 2014, 12:03:16 AM
I think #4 would be great on you!  ^-^

#4 is quickly becoming a favorite the more I look at them. I like the shorter cuts, but I have a rather long face, and I think it would accentuate that if I used the shorter haircuts.
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Quote from: Annabella on July 12, 2014, 12:43:46 AM
I like the shorter cuts, but I have a rather long face, and I think it would accentuate that if I used the shorter haircuts.
Outstanding! Go for it!! :)
  •  

Annabella

Quote from: Jessica Merriman on July 12, 2014, 12:46:49 AM
Outstanding! Go for it!! :)

Maybe I misworded that.. what I meant is, I think you're right about the long hair, because I think I would look more masculine with the short hair because of my long face?
Is that a thing that haircuts do? :)
  •  

Ms Grace

Yes. The longer cut would suit you better - and I agree with Jessica that #4 is a nice length. I think the wig your wearing in that pic would work better if the hair wasn't all behind your ears.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Annabella

Quote from: Ms Grace on July 12, 2014, 02:09:44 AM
Yes. The longer cut would suit you better - and I agree with Jessica that #4 is a nice length. I think the wig your wearing in that pic would work better if the hair wasn't all behind your ears.

It doesn't show in the picture, but the wig is completely unmanageable. It was like trying to position a bale of hay atop my head. Putting it back behind my ears was the only way I could keep it out of my face haha. But yes, I do think the long cut is the pragmatic cut. I wish I had a smaller face so I could go with something like #2, I like how edgy it looks. Now I just have to figure out which one #4 was and what site it was on :D *facepalm*

Thank you Ms Grace.

-Anna
  •  

AnneB

I'm really more partial to Paula Young, why, I have no idea   ;)
  •  

Annabella

Quote from: Paula Christine on July 12, 2014, 02:28:23 AM
I'm really more partial to Paula Young, why, I have no idea   ;)

Haha, can't imagine :)
  •  

Lyric

Well, Annabella, if that's you in the OP pic, you're super cute and are going to be beautiful lady if that's your thing. That looks like a costume wig to me, but the blondeness and length is very good for you. Below shoulder styles tend to look best for genetic males aiming for a more feminine appearance, at least before years of HRT.

Finding a wig that "that looks natural" is not usually all that easy, especially on a budget. I can give you some tips that might be of use. First, you need to decide if you want to try a synthetic or buy a human hair wig. Human hair wigs are usually quite a bit more expensive than synthetics, but also are the most realistic. A super cheap human hair wig probably contains animal hair or overprocessed hair and is not worth buying. The main problem with synthetics is they can look plasticy-- especially blonde ones. Many people wear synthetics satisfactorily, though, so it's worth checking out.

A big consideration is the front hairline. If the wig has bangs, you're OK there, but if not a front lace wig is about the only way to look convincing. As you show in your second post, style is another factor. Since we all have different faces, about the only way to know for sure what style works for you is to go to a wig store and try some on. Most wig stores welcome males wishing to try on feminine wigs, since this constitutes a large portion of their market. If you can't manage that, at least go to a site like InStyle's virtual makeover, upload a photo and try some different hairstyles virtually. Save the images and try to match them to a wig for sale somewhere.

There are many, many online wig sellers, if you have to go that way. I'm not that partial to Paula Young's wigs, myself, but it's a good reliable company. Some other options are World of Wigs, Hairuwear.com, Wig.com, International Wigs and thewigcompany.com. I've bought some excellent wigs at great prices on eBay, too. They're all worth a look.

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/makeover/
"Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life." - Steve Jobs
  •  

JayDawg

I think this would look cute on you.

•  

Annabella

Quote from: Lyric on July 12, 2014, 12:07:51 PM
Well, Annabella, if that's you in the OP pic, you're super cute and are going to be beautiful lady if that's your thing. That looks like a costume wig to me, but the blondeness and length is very good for you. Below shoulder styles tend to look best for genetic males aiming for a more feminine appearance, at least before years of HRT.

Eeeee!.. thanks.. that means a lot. And yes, it is a costume wig. It doesn't work very well at all *grumbles* I really would like to start HRT.. I am mostly having to work this out with my SO first, and am worried how my work and friends may react *sigh*.

QuoteA big consideration is the front hairline. If the wig has bangs, you're OK there, but if not a front lace wig is about the only way to look convincing. As you show in your second post, style is another factor. Since we all have different faces, about the only way to know for sure what style works for you is to go to a wig store and try some on. Most wig stores welcome males wishing to try on feminine wigs, since this constitutes a large portion of their market. If you can't manage that, at least go to a site like InStyle's virtual makeover, upload a photo and try some different hairstyles virtually. Save the images and try to match them to a wig for sale somewhere.

I would love to go browse a wig store. Unfortunately my private funds are down to about $500 at the moment until I grab another side-job so I may have to wait a bit to purchase any of this.

http://www.instyle.com/instyle/makeover/

I will check that out.
I am curious how I would look with different haircuts.
  •  

Annabella

Quote from: JayDawg on July 12, 2014, 11:06:24 PM
I think this would look cute on you.

That is a cute one, yes. I like the cut, I just worry about how my face will look in it haha :) Maybe I should get a pixie and a long wig eventually, or maybe just try them on in the store if I can find one.
  •  

riotgrrrl

I HIGHLY recommend looking into wig companies that are marketed towards african american women for any transwomen especially if she is on a budget like me. Since I'm on a budget I have been buying my hair from hairsisters.com and samsbeauty.com I love the Freetress equal brand especially since they have skin tops for the most natural look on many of their wigs. They also have a wide assortment of colors and I think an ombre would look beautiful on you! Blonde is also abailable as a color choice. Their hair is made out of futura fiber and can be heated up to 450 degrees. It is the most innovative fiber that looks and feels just like human hair. It also tangles less than non futura hair.I'm not sure if you know this but synthetic hair TANGLES horribly especially if its longer. I usually have hair to my boobs or past it so It can be a tangled mess. What I do is wet the hair and use my flat iron on the lowest setting and the hair looks like new again! I can wear a $25 wig from freetress equal that would cost up to $100 or more from a wig shop or company marketed towards caucasian women for 6 months! If I was buying from paula young or another caucasian marketed company I would have to spend $50 or more each month on a regular non heat safe synthetic wig or my hair would look like a rat's nest. Youtube has tons of reviews on freetress equal wigs. You can even get a human hair wig for the price of a synthetic paula young! You can also visit an african american beauty supply store and try on wigs which they put high markups on and then look online at hairsisters or sams beauty to get it cheap! Another trick is to use garnier fructis anti frizz serum to keep the hair mosturized, wash with wig shampoo once a month, an always use a wire wig brush. Keep the wig on a styrofoam head when not at use and either buy one for wearing at home and one for going out or just wear it when you go out. Always wear a wig stocking cap in nude for lacefronts and put your hair in two tiger lilly braids underneath it and place over your ears if you have long hair. No one has ever known my hair is fake and it has never fallen off. This is how I do things after MUCH trial and error.
It's the fire in my eyes,
And the flash of my teeth,
The swing in my waist,
And the joy in my feet.
I'm a woman
Phenomenally.
Phenomenal woman,
That's me.
- Maya Angelou
  ☽O☾ Blessed Be
  •  

Evienne

you should try finding one in real life similar to the one in you avatar picture. That might be a good one.
I hereby sign this message to the understanding that it is what I said. You, the viewer, thus adhere to the adhering of this message to have been adhered.

Ticking Time bomb: 533 days
  •