News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Reverting (Questions to Muslimahs)

Started by samantha88, July 11, 2014, 11:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

samantha88

Wa' Salaam Aleikum

My name is Samantha, loosely translated to listener. I have begun to read the Quran, learn about the teachings of the Prophet Muhammed, praise be upon him, and of the laws of Allah bestowed upon the Prophet and given in the Quran and Sunnah. I have listened to Imams and Muftis and their categorization of transsexualism as either Halal or Haram.

I am curious about visiting a mosque in the future, but I worry, like most MTF transwomen reverts, about my treatment in the Muslim community and even common things, like if I would be allowed to take class with other women, pray, and do wudu. I cried while reading the Quran. I feel strange like I was lost and am coming back home, if that makes sense. When I hear the recitation in Arabic, I feel as though the world stops as if being balanced on the thread of a needle and peace and love come into my heart.

I wouldn't want to pray in solitary, and as I have come to understand it, keeping solitary in Islam would be considered a Haram act. But, do you think the Imams are generally accepting of us? In terms of where I am in transition, I am partially passable. My voice is deep still, but my hair is long, I'm a year on HRT, but I am pre-Op (SRS). I live just outside Philadelphia in the US.

Alhumdulilah
  •  

Shakira

Hey Samantha.Your best bet in the US is to get in touch with Muslims for progressive values MPV.
They operate inclusive prayer spaces in most of the big cities.
There's some good information on their website too about what Islam actually says about sex and gender diverse people.
  •  

samantha88

Thank you, Shakira. Unfortunately, MPV doesn't have a masjid in the area. I did however find a mosque.

This Ramadan evening I was the guest of the Mahdieh Masjid, the only Shei'a mosque in Philadelphia. I have never in my life experienced such grace, hospitality, and kindness. A wonderful woman named Zara sat with me and explained the Imam's sermon, translating some of the Farsi (the Imam was from Iran). After the sermon, they broke their daily fast, and they graciously gave me the first of the food, the sweetest figs I've ever had, and a wrap with cheese, nuts, and cucumbers. The point is they put others in front of themselves, as Prophet Mohammed, Peace Be Upon Him, would have done. I met with the Imam, and he asked me if I was married. I was accepted, alhamdulillah!

We spoke briefly about family, he told me about his wife, their children, and his grandchildren. After the breaking of the fast, they went upstairs to pray, and I went down to the kitchen with Zara. During Ramadan, mosques provide food to their community. The thought is that they fast to remind them of those who are starving or in poverty and to learn self-control in themselves, and then they feast and enjoy their food, their togetherness, their community. I asked if I could witness the prayer, and Zara directed me to the lobby, where I put on a Hijab to cover my hair in modesty. The prayer was beautiful, mind, body, and soul in unity; everything in unity. After the conclusion of the prayer, we all proceeded downstairs, where the feast was. I did not stay, because it somehow felt wrong to avail myself of their feast when I had not fasted myself. I told them that they were gracious, that I appreciated their hospitality, their generosity, and their inclusion. The point is they speak with their actions, a truth I have never seen. The message was clear, I was accepted and welcomed there, and when I'm done studying Qur'an, and ready to take Shahada, they'd welcome me as a sister in Islam. Me, a sister in Islam?

They treat me better than my own family does. What does that say about Islam?
  •  

Shakira

Masha'allah,that's so nice.I've heard so many storys of us receiving really bad treatment at mosques,it's so good to finally hear about a positive experience.
Shia are lovely,they have the best manners out of all the Muslims and their scholars have the most progressive attitude towards us.You should stay to eat if invited,the iftar feast is for everybody and it's a bit rude to refuse hospitality.Plus I think they have a competition going to see how much they can get a revert to eat. :)
  •  

samantha88

Thanks for posting Shakira.

I went back on Friday night. There were a lot of younger people there and they were all really kind. I have started to fast, and I did so before going to Masjid on Friday (It's not the hunger during Ramadan, it's the thirst!). I stopped by an Islamic store and bought a book on learning arabic and "The Life of Muhammad". I devoured the Life of Muhammad (PBUH). I read all 220 pages in a single night! I'm speechless about it. All that the early Muslims suffered through, all that had been done to them, to the Holy Prophet. I also got an Abaya, a prayer rug, and a hijab, so that I would look appropriate when I returned. I started learning how to pray, but it's so difficult, especially not knowing Arabic. They did a commemoration of Imam Ali which was really emotionally powerful. Hard to ask many questions though, because it was such a busy night.

One question, when we were in the prayer room, the other women grabbed white sheets with a floral print and wrapped themselves in it. Is there any tradition or purpose for this?

Samantha
  •  

Ali101xx

Salam,
I am a Muslim too just like you and was wondering whether you need acceptance and how to reconcile being lgbt and Muslim. Mashallah, it's possible  :laugh:
http://imaanlondon.proboards.com
Just sign up for the forum above and keep coming back to this foum.
~Ali
P.s i have an account on there and everyone on there are lovely. They remember and fear Allah so much
  •  

samantha88

PS Gals, insha'Allah I take my Shahada tomorrow. I'm so excited!
  •  

Shakira

Mabruk :) (congratulations).It's so good you've found an accepting community.
I'm not sure about the white sheets thing,I'm Sunni,maybe the sisters who wore them were just covering up a bit more.
Praying takes a while to learn,I just read it out of a book for a couple of months til I had it memorized.
  •  

Shakira

I just saw your post on ummah forums.
They're a tough crowd aren't they?
I've only posted a few times and been takfir'ed
nearly every time.
Have you tried the British gay Muslim forum Imaan?
Much better class of Muslims there.
  •  

Mark3

You know, I watched a video about this last night..
It was specifically about Muslim transgender's in Iran, but it sounded like the laws around transgender people where much broader an area than just in Iran..?
Iran, under Islamic law, actually has many government operated hospitals openly performing SRS, and being transgender is NOT against the law, and surprisingly accepted in Islamic culture in many places today..

The big issue was in the video, that according to Muslim clerics and teachers, there is nothing at all said about being transgender in the Quran, thus there are no laws against it, like they're are against homosexuality..

I found this video very enlightening, and I was quite surprised, but the facts were there, interviews, etc..

I hope that helps..
"The soul is beyond male and female as it is beyond life and death."
  •