Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Do you Wear an Hijab or Burqa? Your opinions about it?

Started by Emily1996, August 20, 2014, 06:45:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Emily1996

Hello Girls and assalamualaikum I was wondering... How do you feel about Hijab? What do you feel about the Burqa? How do you dress? Etc... Also, what do you feel about changing Allah's creation? I wanted to make a video about it on my youtube channel!

Also Did you do Ramadan? I did it! XD

This question is open to non-muslim persons as well if they want to share their opinion about the hijab and burqa
  •  

janetcgtv

I might want to wear a Burqa or Hajab as to see what Moslem wear. But I wish Moslem men had to wear them so they could get to see out of one. After all Moslem women have to wear them so that Moslem men won't be tempted by a Moslem woman.  So too should a man after all women have sexual fantasies too. That way a Moslem woman wouldn't be tempted by a man.

By the way can one really see out of them. as when I wear a mask it covers my eyes.
  •  

Emily1996

Burqas don't cover your eyes D: but I thought they were mostly for the woman protection... Although, women get raped if they were Burqas too.
  •  

jfong

Waalaikumsalam :) and no I am not muslim, but coming from the biggest muslim country in the world, I kind of get it. In my opinion, hijab is acceptable as long as the wearer can stand the heat etc, but burqa I felt it is a bit degrading to women. The old ways are not necessarily applicable as they were before in the ancient times. If it is a good thing, then sure why not, but if it is oppressing maybe this era is the time to discard them.
  •  

OreSama

I've only seen a woman in a burqa in real life once.  I think the problem with burqas is that they dehumanize the women who wear them, but if they make that choice I will respect and defend them on that because it's not my body.  I love hijab though, there are so many beautiful examples of them.  I have many friends who wear hijab and they always looked so pretty.  I don't like it when either is enforced, but as long as the woman wearing it chooses to wear it I'm cool with it. btw I'm not muslim myself, but a lot of my friends are.
  •  

Emily1996

I actually saw 3 or more women with the burqa in real life, and I knew a girl that went to high school with me that did wear the burqa when she was outside school but inside she didn't because it was too much and the teachers need to see her face, etc... But she wore an hijab instead when she was inside school. I think that the women that wear a burqa don't go outside really ofter and when they do, then they cover themselves like that.

I agree with the enforcement thing, I had my mom trying to enforce to my sister when she was younger, but she wears the hijab now, so it should be chosen to wear it when the time is right and when a girl is comfortable wearing the hijab...
  •  

samantha88

I wear Hijab. Ive worn it everyday since my Shahada. I frequently have to defend myself from attacks on Islam and being trans mostly by kafur. Sometimes it's lonely saying As Salaamu Alaikum and getting no response. Forget that. Remember... Allahumma innee amatuka.

If you decide to wear hijab, try a hoodie first before going everywhere with a khimar and abaya. Burqas are Afghani and completely rare. Niqabs are Arabian. Youll see some sisters in niqab either because their husbands make them wear it or they want to honor and imitate thr wives of the Nabi Mohammad Allallahu Alayhi Wa Salaam.
  •  

Ms Grace

Out where I live in Sydney I usually see (on average) one woman wearing a burqa every week. Maybe it is the same woman, I don't know but I don't think so. I see quite a few women wearing the hijab. I have opinions about both forms of head dress that I will keep to myself, but if it is any woman's free will choice to wear one, not a male enforced cultural display of ownership, then more power to her.

When I was a teenager (way back in the 1980s and things like the burqa and hijab were considered exotic) I would use a towel when I was in the bathroom and I would wrap it around my head and face so that only my eyes and half my nose were showing and I could feel then that I was looking in the mirror at myself as a woman.

These days I wouldn't think of wearing one, especially not in public, but I do feel a burqa would be a useful solution to my beard removal issues.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

HAMZA

Hijab is for women not exposed to rape and harassment
:)
  •  

rachel89

I'm not a Muslim, but I think the hijab can be really pretty, and I wear one while I have to let facial grow for electrolysis because it relieves what would be debilitating dysphoria around facial hair. I often wear a tichel though, which is kind of like a hijab except that it doesn't cover the sides of the face and is tied differently, sometimes very intricately. I want to thank Islamic culture for the hijab, which saves my dignity when I have to look in the mirror

•  

Jayne

I think hijabs can be very pretty. However I am against the burka, firstly I think it's degrading that women should hide due to the notion that men need protecting from the sight of a woman lest they be tempted to violate that woman.
I also dislike it as it's a barrier to communication, yes we have words to communicate but facial expressions and body language play a large part in the exchange of thoughts and words.
I'll give an example to back that claim up, I play online games frequently and I've known many of my online friends for years, when we met years ago for a party we could joke with each other about anything, some of the joking had previously caused arguments but seeing each others faces meant we could let rip as the recipient could see by our faces that no offense was meant, now we've returned to voice only communication offense has been taken where none was meant and has broken some friendships.
  •  

DriftingCrow

Quote from: Serena ♡ on August 20, 2014, 06:45:25 PM
Hello Girls and assalamualaikum I was wondering... How do you feel about Hijab? What do you feel about the Burqa? How do you dress? Etc... Also, what do you feel about changing Allah's creation? I wanted to make a video about it on my youtube channel!

Also Did you do Ramadan? I did it! XD

This question is open to non-muslim persons as well if they want to share their opinion about the hijab and burqa

I am not Muslim, but Sikh, and Sikh women often wear a chunni or turban. I sometimes wear a scarf which looks like a hijab. I find it's often better going out as a female dressed very modestly than not. People do treat you differently, especially men. Usually if I am dressed as a women who's not being too modest, many men stare like animals and I've been followed by men on many occasions -- though wearing a scarf and modest clothes, men don't follow you or look at you in a very sexual way. (Yes, people may stare but that's more for a "oh these Muslims are taking over!" sort of way).

I have no problems with the niqab or burka if its a woman's choice to wear one. I don't think it necessarily mutes or makes a woman anonymous; there's quite a few very vocal women who wear niqab by choice. If the woman believes it brings her closer to her God, then its okay by me. Some people cite security issues, but I think those are easy to overcome with proper training and planning. 

I often wonder how different the world would be if everyone did look the same and it was impossible to judge others on their appearance.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •