Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Experiences with eating less meat

Started by Feather, September 14, 2014, 12:06:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Feather

Over the past 6 years or so I have experimented with meat free diets. I was a vegetarian for two years, then went back to fish and chicken, and eventually all meats again. Recently I took a middle road with a pescetarian diet (vegetarian + fish). Each time I go on a diet with less meat I can't help but notice the huge differences I experience emotionally.

When I am a vegetarian or pescetarian I become far more sensitive to other people's moods, I become more sensitive to the colours I wear, even the colour of my iPhone background. It's insane. When I eat meat every day I care little about any of this.. and I feel more unshaken. When I eat less meat my dreams also become more lucid and realistic (also the scary dreams..).

What are your experiences? Do you notice emotional changes inside as well when you switch diets, particularly when it comes to meat?
  •  

Abby Claire

Since New Years I've switched to only chicken and fish as meat. I haven't noticed any emotional differences. My body is more lean, but my hair has thinned and I'm worried if it's from stress or from my diet. Other than that, I just feel so much better having given up red meat.
  •  

Feather

Quote from: Abby Claire on September 14, 2014, 12:37:55 PM
Since New Years I've switched to only chicken and fish as meat. I haven't noticed any emotional differences. My body is more lean, but my hair has thinned and I'm worried if it's from stress or from my diet. Other than that, I just feel so much better having given up red meat.
I switch back and forth between veg and white meat, but I don't plan to go back to the red either! (mostly environmental reasons)
  •  

LordKAT

Vegetarian for 40+ years and have not noticed any special thing with dreams or colors or sensitivity. Matter of fact, quite the opposite.
  •  

Ms Grace

Vegie since I was 21 (27 years), I'm pretty sensitive to the things you mentioned above but whether that was me anyway or a result as changing diet I couldn't say since I can't remember!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Sephirah

I'm probably one of the world's biggest carnivores. Eat has to have an M in front of it for me to like what's in front of me, usually. As far as being sensitive to other people, it's something I've always had, and I doubt it's dependent on how much flesh I consume. I'm a pretty emotionally sensitive person.

Maybe it's more psychological than physiological?
Natura nihil frustra facit.
  •  

Cindy

Use to love red meat, juicy steak at least once a week. Roast beef Mmmmm

Since E and full time, can't even eat red meat, physiological? I have no idea! I have no psychological reason not to eat red meat. But now I just can't even look at it ::)
  •  

Felix

I don't draw any absolutes in theory, but in practice I've been almost completely vegan for at least a decade. Before that I was vegetarian for five years or so but didn't stop eating cheese and ice cream until I noticed how much obesity and heart disease and diabetes runs in my family. I never really liked straight liquid cow milk as a kid so I don't have a lot of experience with that.

I definitely notice emotional changes when I change my diet in major ways, but I can't say I've ever seen a lot of difference with whether I eat meat. There have been times I've gone back to eating fish, and I did feel like it was easier to feel full with less food that way than with beans or whatever. That's not what you are describing, though. The closest I've come to what you seem to be talking about is that I feel like I'm more likely to wish for steak or consider lowering my food standards when I'm angry or stressed.
everybody's house is haunted
  •  

Apples Mk.II

I cut a lot my meat intake, and I try to avoid some types as much as possible. WHenever is possible I will order the vegetarian dish, and 9% of the meat I have is turkey.
  •  

MrKarl35

I was vegan for 8 years, then vegetarian, now I eat eggs and fish. I am not sure if I was more sensitive when I was vegan... I'm pretty sensitive now, I keep telling this to my boxing coach but it's like he doesn't even care ;)
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Sephirah on September 15, 2014, 03:31:56 PM
I'm probably one of the world's biggest carnivores. Eat has to have an M in front of it for me to like what's in front of me, usually. As far as being sensitive to other people, it's something I've always had, and I doubt it's dependent on how much flesh I consume. I'm a pretty emotionally sensitive person.

Maybe it's more psychological than physiological?

That's beautiful!

I eat a varied diet because I feel that's the best nutrition. I do eat smaller portions of meat than when I was younger, unless it's steak night. Then all bets are off!
  •  

Jill F

I went pescatarian for a couple of months early this year just to see what would happen.  I lost muscle mass and my energy level was in the toilet.  I started to fiend for steak and dream about it at night.

Now I have a significant amount of red meat about once a week and all is well. 
  •  

Tiffers

I have been a vegetarian for 8 years and I didn't really notice any changes. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  •  

KatelynBG

The key to cutting meat is replacing the protein. Beans and lentils, as well as quinoa will help you replace the lost protein from meat in a healthy way. As with any diet, when you cut something, it must be replaced with a healthy and effective replacement.
]
  •  

LexPromise

I have cut pork and red meat from my diet. I have chicken and fish 2-4 times per week. I am not certain that I am getting enough protein. I am feeling less anxious since this diet change. I am more slender and have less nausea.
  •  

KatelynBG

There are sneaky sources of protein hanging around. Black beans are excellent and quinoa is a protein packed grain that you can sub for rice.
]
  •  

Elsa Delyth

Vegan for over a decade, and I'm definitely a very different person than I was when I was twenty, but I don't switch back and forth, so I don't know of any correlation, or distinct differences.
"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Emma Goldman.
  •  

Cindi Jones

I still eat butter but I'm away from all other animal products. It started five or six years ago when I couldn't get my glucose levels under control with two expensive insulins and other drugs that were costing me $400 a month. I decided to starve the diabetes monster of any simple carbohydrates. So I went with meats and vegetables. It worked. My glucose levels were manageable without medication within a month. But I still had indigestion problems. I quit eating red meat and that helped some but within 6 months, I wasn't eating most meat. I'd have eggs twice a month and fish once a month. I quit doing that too this past year. I just feel better without it.

I have introduced beans, lentils, and a limited number of carbohydrates from whole grains back into my diet. I also eat lots of peanuts and sometimes other more expensive nuts. I am healthier, I feel better, and I can do more. Empirical proof? I don't really have anything other than the glucose levels that remain in normal range.

A great side effect is that I lost a lot of weight. I've always had difficulties purchasing clothing that fit and looked good. Now I can get clothes off the rack anywhere.

I'm very pleased with my progress and my long term health prognosis.

I'm surprised at the number of health studies that link animal products of all stripes to so many diseases. It is quite staggering. I just have to find a way to cut my cravings for butter....

Cindi
Author of Squirrel Cage
  •  

KathyLauren

I've been vegetarian for 33 years amd vegan for 18 years.  I can't say I've noticed any big emotional changes.  My physical fitness increased dramatically the year I first went vegan: my time in a cross-country ski marathon went from 4:30 to 4:00, with no change in my training routine.

Regarding protein, it is quite hard for someone who is not starving to not get enough.  There is protein in every whole food, even celery.  If you eat a vaiety of veggie foods that includes beans or other legumes, you've got it covered.  Getting too much protein is more of a problem than not getting enough.   Too much protein caused osteoporosis.
2015-07-04 Awakening; 2015-11-15 Out to self; 2016-06-22 Out to wife; 2016-10-27 First time presenting in public; 2017-01-20 Started HRT!!; 2017-04-20 Out publicly; 2017-07-10 Legal name change; 2019-02-15 Approval for GRS; 2019-08-02 Official gender change; 2020-03-11 GRS; 2020-09-17 New birth certificate
  •