Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

transparent

Started by LJP, September 30, 2014, 07:02:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LJP

Has anyone seen it? or is it even out? just watched trailer and it looks good. episode 1 is on amazon for free.
Be the change you wish to see in the world
  •  

Shantel

Quote from: LJP on September 30, 2014, 07:02:37 PM
Has anyone seen it? or is it even out? just watched trailer and it looks good. episode 1 is on amazon for free.

Got Amazon Prime and ROKU so I'll probably get the series eventually. My spouse called my attention to it so we'll probably check it out, but my gut feeling is that since the  primary character is not trans that it will turn out to be something less than what we would want. But I'm open to surprises!
  •  

LordKAT

My sister said it looks interesting. I'm not so sure I even want to find out.
  •  

Mark3

Just saw the trailer.
Yes, it looks good.!
"The soul is beyond male and female as it is beyond life and death."
  •  

Cheska

I watched the first few episodes back to back yesterday and I liked it. It's not phenomenal but still...it's decent so far.
  •  

Shodan

It's phenomenal in the way it's handling the transsexual protagonist. It really is. Where the show falls kind of flat for me is her kids. I just kind of find myself cringing when the focus is on them. Granted, I've only watched three and a half episodes last night before I fell asleep, so I don't know if they get any better. So far, Jeffrey Tambor's portrayal of a person who is transitioning late in life has been very spot on for me. Even though she's older in the show there has been a lot I was able to relate to. If nothing else, the show is worth watching for that. 

•  

Cheska

Oh, I agree. Jeffrey's portrayal was great but the show overall just seemed to be lacking...something. Nevertheless, I did find the show enjoyable.
  •  

VickyMI

Watched the first three episodes last night. It's okay and worth watching. Most of the focus I so the kids not the person transitioning and their viewpoint dominates the storyline.  At least so far.

Overall I recommend it!
Happy T Gurl living as Vicky half time.
  •  

Shodan

So... I finally finished all the episodes last night. I truly enjoyed it most when Maura was on the screen, but I felt that it did  a fairly major disservice to the CD community by painting them as all pretty unaccepting of anybody who is Trans. I was thinking that for a show that's doing a really good job at representing a misrepresented minority to, in turn, misrepresent another kind of irks me.

Then again, maybe that's how Cross Dressers really think? I find that hard to believe, though.

•  

Gothic Dandy

I checked older threads before starting mine. I must not have gone far back enough.

I just watched the second episode yesterday and I love it so far. I can relate to all of the characters in some way or another, although some things about each sibling also grate on my nerves. I also dislike how the producers tried so hard to be risque, it's like watching HBO.

They picked a great actor for Maura; I can feel her pain, and her experiences and thoughts are spot-on for me so far. I look forward to watching the rest of it and hearing what you all think!
Just a little faerie punk floating through this strange world of humans.
  •  

Cheska

After finishing up watching this, I can say that I did enjoy it overall. Good to see that it's renewed for a second season. :)
  •  

Aemin

Pardon the thread necro...

I binge watched this last year and loved it!  Jeffrey Tambor is a god.

Eagerly awaiting the second season.

Loved this article:  http://www.thewrap.com/emmy-wrap-cover-story-jeffrey-tambor-sweats-the-small-stuff-for-transparent-role/
  •  

rachel89

I liked it as entertainment. What I liked about it was that it showed some realism as far as not depicting us as catty drag queens, sex workers, monsters, crime victims, or just a stock character to laugh at. I liked that the they depicted Moira as non-passing, but still being a kind intelligent person. this reflects some of what I actually see in life. what I didn't like is that the economic situation of Moira doesn't seem to really reflect how things really are in the TG community. Transition seems to be a huge financial burden for most trans people, and seems to be filled with setbacks like job loss, divorce, and losing a home. Another thing was that most of us seem to have more issues with acceptance in our families, while her biggest issue was that her kids are are almost completely self-absorbed. Her kids are completely cringe-worthy, but I think it makes the entertaining, kind of like how Larry David makes people cringe in Curb Your Enthusiasm.

•  

Cheska

https://.youtube.com/watch?v=CluxHR9pkdQ

December 11! :D For some reason I can't post the video. :-\
  •  

Debra

yep I've seen it. The whole season on amazon a while back.

It was pretty good. It's definitely centered around someone transitioning at an older age with kids/family, etc.

•  

Cheska

Has anybody watched Season 2 yet? I just finished it and I thought it was great. Not going to post any spoilers but I will say that episode 9 was the standout episode of the season for me.
  •  

Debra

Yeah just started season 2 . Free on Amazon prime

•  

Peep

I loved season two. The structure was really great - with those two stories that came together. The 'man on the land' episode was particularly provocative. Almost cried at the end :P

I don't know what they're doing with Sarah though, and for some reason Ally was a little more annoying this season. I liked her more in season 1.
  •  

Sydney_NYC

In general I liked Season 2 better than season 1. I loved how Grandma Rose's story in Berlin tied into things. The "man on the land" episode made me cry too. The last episode also gave me tears of happiness and it was so touching.
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

Peep

The Berlin parts were great... I always feel that the historical element is really important to trans issues because people seem to think of it as something - a 'lifestyle'  ::) - that's only started happening in the last thirty or forty years which is completely not true...

The 'Man on the Land' ep made me wonder what's going to happen to that type of feminism in 20 or 30 years, when (hopefully) children grow up with the same amount of gender based privilege regardless of gender. Will those children be disallowed from communities formed by older generations that suffered more on the basis of privilege?
  •