Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Best Transgender books you've read or would recommend reading

Started by BreezyB, October 03, 2014, 10:40:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BreezyB

So not previously being an avid reader, I've recently been reading a few books involving transgender characters. These were a mix of fiction, autobiography and non fiction.

What books would you recommend which contain transgender characters or are on the subject of transgender?

A few I've started with;

• Conundrum - Jan Morris
  • Orlando - Virginia Woolfe
  • Transitions -  Mara Christine Drummond
  • Undercover Girl - Jill Davidson
  • Sliders - The dark side of transgender - Aimee Norin
  • Kenna - A Transgender Life - Kenna Henderson
  • Feeling wrong in your own body - Jaime Seba

My favourite and one I think is an all time classic is Conundrum.
"I don't care if the world knows what my secrets are" - Mary Lambert

•  

androgynouspainter26

Nevada by Imogen Binnie literally changed my life- it completely altered my perspective on things.  It's the sort of book that you want to give to all of your friends and hope that they can get half of what you did out of it. 

Whipping Girl by Julia Serano is also amazing, if you'd like a gender studies book. 
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

Jill F

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on October 04, 2014, 01:30:11 AM
Whipping Girl by Julia Serano is also amazing, if you'd like a gender studies book.

It's a must-read kind of thing.  I didn't agree with everything, but that was part of the point.
  •  

BreezyB

Thanks all, I'll see if I can get myself a copy and get reading

•  

BreezyB

•  

BreezyB

Quote from: Natalie on October 04, 2014, 02:19:49 AM
Ummm, it's my book and it comes out in November so...I'm the author. Just click the little globe under my avatar :)

Sorry Natalie I was having a blonde moment, or mental breakdown  :icon_blah:

Love that song by the way

•  

suzifrommd

I thought The Transgender Guidebook by Anne L Boedecker was a really thorough treatment of the process of transition.

I also give my full endorsement to Whipping Girl.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

mythy

Nevada - Imogen Binnie
I've Got A Time Bomb - Sybil Lamb
Nobody Passes - edited by Matilda Bernstein Sycamore
Normal Life - Dean Spade
My Words to Victor Frankenstein - Susan Stryker (which is an essay available for free if you google it, it's really good)
The Empire Strikes Back (I might be getting this title wrong) - Sandy Stone (also an essay, same deal)

•  

BreezyB

Thanks everyone, seems this list is getting quite comprehensive. I had no idea there were so many.

I'm going to add one which is a kids book, may not be on the top of your list but great if your needing to speak to children about gender.

Jacobs New Dress - Sarah Hoffman, Ian Hoffman, Chris Case

There are loads others too.

•  

androgynouspainter26

Oh, before I forget, also: A Safe Girl To Love, Casey Plett?  It's short stories, but all of them are quite excellent. 
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

Anna-Maria

~ Whipping Girl

~ Excluded

both by Julia Serano.

She´s a brilliant writer and her books can be read by someone who´s new to trans related topics as well as by the ones already familiar with trans related topics and without making them feel bored. Honestly, I owe her a lot for writing these books, because it sharpened my mind on the terminology we use and  some blind spots I already had by myself. Terminology is crucial and even here in the Forum sometimes terminology messes up. That´s why I can´t  recommend these books enough. Anyone Trans* should have read them.

The approach most intriguing to me is, making femnist and queer movements more open and inclusive.  An approach worth to fight for, I think.   I  also frequently visit her website and blog:

http://juliaserano.blogspot.de

"Think pink, but don´t wear it"
Karl Lagerfeld

•  

mythy

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on October 05, 2014, 12:53:47 AM
Oh, before I forget, also: A Safe Girl To Love, Casey Plett?  It's short stories, but all of them are quite excellent.

I just got that one and am excited to actually read it.
  •  

mythy

http://topsidepress.com/

top side press is a transgender publishing house and they support all my favorite trans authors so check it out!
  •  

skin

I loved Janet Mock's book, but I lived in the same part of Hawaii she did - I think I might not have liked it as much otherwise.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

imnotsurewhoiam

•  

Amato

"Stone Butch Blues"
"Transgender Warriors"

both by Leslie Feinberg. I love their perspective.
  •  

Brenda E

Both of Helen Boyd's books are good for those of us who are married or struggling with transition and relationships.  (My Husband Betty, and She's Not the Man I Married).

Nevada was pretty decent too.  Good fiction that isn't "erotic" - pretty much a first for quality transgender fiction that I know about.

Janet Mock's book, Redefining Realness - I can't say I enjoyed it, to be honest.  I felt it focused far too much on the sex industry side of things, and if there's one thing trans people don't need, it's more people reading things that make them think we're all just a bunch of ex-hookers.  But kudos to her for putting it out there and pushing trans issues front and center - she's still done far more than most to open doors for us all.

Warrior Princess - interesting story, just horrible writing.  Painfully bad - clunky, middle-school level writing at best.
  •  

skin

Quote from: Brenda E on November 09, 2014, 06:05:48 PM
Warrior Princess - interesting story, just horrible writing.  Painfully bad - clunky, middle-school level writing at best.

I can't believe that book got published.  It clearly was not even read over once by an editor.
"Choosing to be true to one's self — despite challenges that may come with the journey — is an integral part of realizing not just one's own potential, but of realizing the true nature of our collective human spirit. This spirit is what makes us who we are, and by following that spirit as it manifests outwardly, and inwardly, you are benefiting us all." -Andrew WK
  •  

Menoimagination

I know no one has said anything on this in ages, but it really enjoyed " the art of being normal" by Lisa Williamson. I hope I'm not overstepping a mark by talking on here when no one has in ages, I'm new please don't find me annoying.
Started T: 22/03/16
  •  

Alissa16

Heather O'malley's  300 Rains is a fantastic book of an anthropologists discovery of a lost tribe he found in the Amazon. His
partaking in a ceremony and subsequent transformation.
This is a must read fiction! You'll enjoy!
  •