Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Your water intake?

Started by Starla, April 24, 2014, 07:37:22 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Starla

I've read different opinions but mostly got the "4-5 pints a day" as a recommended intake. That's quite a bit to me considering I'm not crazy about water, but at the same time I need to lose weight and adequate water intake is so important. Not only does it aid in weight loss but can improve skin and many more things.

For those of you like me who are not crazy about water.....how do you deal with it? Do you force yourself to drink it?  :D I am thinking about stocking up on some of those flavored water packets, the ones with no calories and no sugar. It seems like that's the only way I will get my recommended daily intake. But I really wanna do this, and make it a point to drink nothing but water.

It feels impossible but I think I can do it.
  •  

Ms Grace

I drink small amounts throughout the day and it really doesn't seem like much when it's spread out.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

Dee Marshall

Here's motivation. I'm 54 (is it ungirlish to admit that?) When I'm not adequately hydrated my hands look wrinkled which is a bummer, I look 10 to 15 years younger otherwise. When I'm hydrated all of me looks 40 or so.

Hydration is your friend! Eschew hydrophobia!

Dee
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

Jessica Merriman

Quote from: Starla on April 24, 2014, 07:37:22 AM
I am thinking about stocking up on some of those flavored water packets, the ones with no calories and no sugar.

Yes to this big time! I love the cherry limeade flavor. :)
  •  

Ruth Ruthless

I've recently quit sodas and juices in general. I've decided instead that whenever I want something sweet and liquid, I can just drink some water and then eat a fruit. For example, I buy a bunch of grapes and I remove them from the stems in one go. I wash the plastic container. Then I wash the grapes in groups of 10 grapes and put them back clean in the clean container, ready to be plucked at an instant to top off a refresing drink of water with natural carbohydrates accompanied with fiber to slow down the intake and reduce the chances it turns into fat which is most likely when I drank coke or even orange juice (tons of oranges in one glass of orange juice).

I'm following a tight regime to try and get rid of the one bastion of fat on my body - my belly and my waist. This is part of it. A week and a half going so far. Will see how it goes.

But since I see that's not enough, I am now trying to eat fruit only as part of a meal and when I drink, drink only water.

Still, what I described is probably preferable to drinking juices or soda.

How do I do it? Well, I go crazy but I set a goal and keep track of everything in a spreadsheet which I can access on my computer and my phone. I write exact amounts and what I eat and what I did for exercise on that day.

It's just like running. I set a goal to go from point A to point B without stopping, and then I just tell myself this is my goal, I want to do this - no matter what my body tells me (unless my muscles are really hurting for several minutes). It's kind of similar with food. I set a goal for the day what I eat and how much and I make sure to follow through, no matter how crazy it drives me. That's how one breaks habits and makes new ones. Set goals and grind through it. Try to do other things to take my mind off, as hard as it is and as futile as it sometimes is... If I can't stop thinking about it, at least make sure I do what I set in my goal.
  •  

Adam (birkin)

I just keep water near me when I want to drink a lot. It's so easy to mindlessly eat or drink, so when the water is there, I just end up drinking a bunch without even realizing it.
  •  

Hayley

I've always drank a lot. Almost a gallon of water a day for a long time. Still around that mark now. Mostly plain water but I do enjoy sparkling water for the carbonation. If I need flavoring I just squeeze lemons into it. Or limes or both.
Byes!!!! It's been real but this place isn't for me. Good luck in the future everyone.
  •  

Silver Centurion

I used to be horribly addicted to soda and rarely drank water. I weened myself off of the soda and started drinking a lot of water and it really does help not only weight but I have noticed that I generally feel better drinking quite a lot of water. My doctor for migraines recommended a gallon of water a day and it seems to be helpful for that as well. I just carry around one of those big water bottles and constantly refill them at water bottle stations while I'm on campus.
  •  

xponentialshift

I try to drink at least a gallon of water a day (4 liters). If I eat a lot of dry/cooked food then I aim for an extra liter. I stopped drinking everything else except the occasional juice (one 64oz bottle of fresh orange juice with lunch once a week or so), and coconut water (I count both toward my water intake).

I drink my water out of a large 2.5 cup mason jar and it just feels easier. I always drink filtered or spring water to make it more palatable. The biggest help was cutting out all caffeine 10 months ago. (Caffeine is like negative water intake)

When I was tracking all of my nutrition online last fall, I was drinking over 5 liters a day plus getting 2 liters of water content from the fruits and veggies I would eat. I should really start drinking that extra liter again. I felt so much healthier...
  •  

Megan Joanne

That all I really drink is water. Only once in a great while will I drink something else, but I do water at least 99% of the time, and nothing added to it, it tastes just fine on its own. Used to drink many years straight from the tap, but damn chlorine and other chemicals are just nasty and it got worst as the years went by (where it started tasting like I was drinking pool water), then I went to bottled water (but that tasted like plastic chemicals), eventually this led to getting one of those pitchers with the filter in them, that's how I do my water now, clean of most impurities, very fresh non-taste (water shouldn't have any or barely a flavor). I don't count how much water I drink in a day, just drink when I get thirsty, my body tells me when (the body will always tell you when you need anything), which is quite often.

Its funny but screwed up, but so many years my mom and brother used to get into arguments about him drinking too much soda (that and juice is all he ever drank, never just water, he used to say he'd rather dehydrate), he'd always answer sarcastically, "Soda has water in it." Logically it makes sense, to him. But somehow the results are not the same, all that crap in it.
  •  

crowcrow223

•  

Ms Grace

Numerous glasses of water and a couple of cups of unsweetened strong green tea are my usual intakes. Might have a glass of wine or beer once a week on average.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

MrKarl35

I am quite fond of those cans of flavored carbonated water. There are many brands, La Croix is good. They totally help break up the monotony of tap water, plus they are fancy :)
  •  

katiej

Recommended intake is as many fluid ounces as half your body weight in lbs.  I weigh 185 (ish), so I should drink 62 ounces of water per day.

And as a life-long soda drinker who didn't like water, it just took me a few weeks to get converted.  If you force yourself for a couple weeks, your body will actually start to crave it.
"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

Dee Marshall

Quote from: katiej on October 06, 2014, 10:46:59 PM
Recommended intake is as many fluid ounces as half your body weight in lbs.  I weigh 185 (ish), so I should drink 62 ounces of water per day.

Um, if that rule of thumb is right, 92. 62 is one third.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

katiej

Woops!  And I'm an accountant.  That's a little embarrassing.

So as I was saying.  I weight 185, so I should drink 92 ounces of water per day.  :)
"Before I do anything I ask myself would an idiot do that? And if the answer is yes, I do not do that thing." --Dwight Schrute
  •  

Leeloo_Dallas

I drink my body weight in ounces of water a day and supplement in Pedialite on days I forget to drink as much water.  I live in Arizona though, so depending on your climate that might be a bit of a hydration overkill.
  •