Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

At what point do you change your name and docs

Started by ImagineKate, November 06, 2014, 12:49:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImagineKate

As mentioned, I'm mapping out my transition, getting HRT, hair removal etc done now.

One thing I'm not clear about is when do people legally change their name.

When did you decide to legally change your name and gender marker?

I want to at least get it done before I go full time at work, which will probably be sometime next year.
  •  

Jill F

I started the process when I made the decision to go PermaJill(TM) and take the full strength HRT.  In May, 2013 I told my therapist that I had already gone full time and came out.  I got the letter (E-ticket) in July, and an appointment to the endo in late July.  I gave the paperwork to him then for legal gender change, but it got lost.  After several follow-ups and screw-ups, I finally got the signed papers in DECEMBER.   We filed immediately at the courthouse and didn't get a hearing date until JULY, 2014.  (Thanks, LA county...)

So I had to go around for an extra year with an ID that showed a fat guy with a beard.  LOL
  •  

Tessa James

Your path is the right one for you, of course.  I waited till I felt sure about my name and well on my way with HRT.  I was out FT for about a year and had some annoying hassles with IDs for shopping and travel.  In Oregon the name change is accomplished at the County level and took a couple months.  Some banks and credit card folks have their own process. 
The gender part is more demanding and depends on the Country and State you live in.  i needed letters from my doc and therapist on a specific state list of approved folks with very specific language.  Those letters can also be used for changes at social security offices.  It seems the older you are the more documents need to be changed and I had/have a lot.  It is all worth it as the validation of seeing and hearing your name and having the right gender marker is priceless :D
Open, out and evolving queer trans person forever with HRT support since March 13, 2013
  •  

Mariah

I decided to after being full time for 2 weeks that I needed to do it as soon as possible. I ran it pas the therapist at my next session and she said I could go ahead and do it anytime. So the next Tuesday I went to Prosser and got my named changed and rest of the paperwork got rolling at my primary care appointment a week later.
Mariah
If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

ImagineKate

Thanks for the replies.

I'm a naturalized US citizen living in New Jersey. From what I was told, I could have it changed on my naturalization certificate quite easily and then everything else changed with that. I believe a letter from the therapist is required for a DL change.

Birth certificate is going to be much more difficult and I'm not even sure it's possible, even with surgery. I can have it amended with an affidavit but I just want it gone. Probably the old one with sex:Boy tossed in the fireplace. I don't think I'll even bother to be honest. I really don't use any docs from the old country and I even let my other passport expire.

I asked my therapist and she said when I start to present Female more or less full time. I have a ways to go with that because I want to grow my hair out a bit and get rid of most of the facial hair before I go FT.
  •  

Sydney_NYC

Quote from: ImagineKate on November 06, 2014, 02:15:31 PM
Thanks for the replies.

I'm a naturalized US citizen living in New Jersey. From what I was told, I could have it changed on my naturalization certificate quite easily and then everything else changed with that. I believe a letter from the therapist is required for a DL change.

As you know I'm in NJ too. You  just need to get a court order for the name change (about a 2-3 month process in NJ and it's not too bad) through the county court (superior court). With that documents you'll be able to change your name on you DL and any federal documents including you passport and social security.

Quote from: ImagineKate on November 06, 2014, 02:15:31 PMBirth certificate is going to be much more difficult and I'm not even sure it's possible, even with surgery. I can have it amended with an affidavit but I just want it gone. Probably the old one with sex:Boy tossed in the fireplace. I don't think I'll even bother to be honest. I really don't use any docs from the old country and I even let my other passport expire.

Because I was born in TN, they will only cross out the name and put my new name on top, plus TN will NOT change the gender even with SRS. However I could really care less at this point since my passport has my correct name and gender. A passport trumps a birth certificate anywhere. As long as you have your passport updated, there is no reason to have to show your birth certificate anywhere.

Quote from: ImagineKate on November 06, 2014, 02:15:31 PMI asked my therapist and she said when I start to present Female more or less full time. I have a ways to go with that because I want to grow my hair out a bit and get rid of most of the facial hair before I go FT.

That's pretty standard with the therapist. Once you are full time and she feels it's right, then she will fill out the DMV form and write the letters for you Passport and Social Security (and your naturalization documents.) I did my name and gender at the same time, so the DMV form and the letter had my new name ONLY since the procedure across the board it to change name, then change gender (on the same visit.)

The 3rd week I was full time (beginning of April), I filed the petition for the name change to the court. A week later I received a phone call from the clerk with a court date on May 21st and instructions that I would receive a court notice and I had to put in the paper. I went to court as my true self, all great and approved and 30 days later the court order was valid (and had to post a notice in paper again. (Because of the weekend) my court order was valid June 23 and I went to DMV with form and court order and Social Security with letter and court order and changed everything. I did my passport later and now all my documentation is updated, including my credit now. (I was approved for a Lane Bryant card under my new name 3 weeks ago.)
Sydney

Born - 1970
Came Out To Self/Wife - Sept-21-2013
Started therapy - Oct-15-2013
Laser and Electrolysis - Oct-24-2013
HRT - Dec-12-2013
Full time - Mar-15-2014
Name change  - June-23-2014
GCS - Nov-2-2017 (Dr Rachel Bluebond-Langner)

•  

suzifrommd

I changed my name and gender marker a few weeks after going full-time.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

ainsley

I went to give a drug screen for a job and they said the guy with a beard in the picture was not me.  That initiated my document changes.  I first went to the driver license office and explained the problem and they gave me a new ID with current name/gender.  Then I went through all of the rigmarole of changing name and gender on all docs.  So, basically I did the changes when it started affecting my life to have the old ones.
Some people say I'm apathetic, but I don't care.

Wonder Twin Powers Activate!
Shape of A GIRL!
  •  

Marcellow

I haven't done it yet but when you're completely sure about the name you're going to go as. I plan to get my gender marker change when I can no longer pass as female.
  •  

Alexis2107

I am going full time in June 2015, will mark 7 months HRT at that point.  So if body ready or not, she's coming out!  That being said, right now I am in stealth mode.  Although at the moment, I do go out at night and in total woman mode when home alone.  At turn of the year, I plan to start my name change process.  Where I currently live it's a lot easier than where I am moving to.  I should have my name change signed by the judge, hopefully, by April '15... they say give up to three months.  Then I'll wait till end of May to goto BMV to have them change my driver's license to my new name - be easier to enter my new state with my new name.  Therapist said to see her prior to me moving and she'll sign off the legal documents needed to have my gender marker switched to female when I go to the DMV in my new state.  So basically, next June.. new name, new gender marker, total woman mode, new life... ah can't wait :)
~ Lexi ~

HRT 11/5/14
Full Time woman 3/12/15
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: Sydney_NYC on November 06, 2014, 10:52:41 PM
Because I was born in TN, they will only cross out the name and put my new name on top, plus TN will NOT change the gender even with SRS. However I could really care less at this point since my passport has my correct name and gender. A passport trumps a birth certificate anywhere. As long as you have your passport updated, there is no reason to have to show your birth certificate anywhere.

I was born in Trinidad and Tobago and they still have laws on the books with jail time for sodomy and anything not straight or cis, but laws are really not enforced. However, they are looking to finally change those laws. I should talk to my contacts there (the current Prime Minister is actually a friend of the family) but my former MP is now wrapped up fully in a sex scandal, and I feel that the whole thing may just crash and burn... :\

There's one trans woman I know of there (Jowelle), and I should ask her how to get my passport and BC changed, if at all possible. It would be nice to keep the two passports as the Trinidad one gets me access to all CARICOM countries for work and shorter lines for visitors.

Worse comes to worse I still have my US docs and that is good in most places.
  •  

LilDevilOfPrada

Personally I find changing your gender is a anytime thing as really the amount of occasions it affects you assuming your a middle class citizen is minimal where as your name can cause more questions.

For example when has your coworker gone can I see your passport and ID i am bored compared to hey I just noticed your name is *female name* on the document is this a typo?
Awww no my little kitten gif site is gone :( sad.

2 Febuary 2011/13 June 2011 hrt began
  •  

Eva

Well it took me a while and I went through a few different names until the one I have stuck, gotta have a name picked out that you like... Once I decided I was gonna be out with everyone was the day I filed the papers, it took six weeks....  I felt like that helped get across my point that this is for real, Im not messing around and Im not going back...

The process itself wasnt too hard here in SD but they will not change your gender marker on the DL pre op >:(
  •  

ImagineKate

Quote from: LilDevilOfPrada on November 12, 2014, 03:02:13 AM
Personally I find changing your gender is a anytime thing as really the amount of occasions it affects you assuming your a middle class citizen is minimal where as your name can cause more questions.

For example when has your coworker gone can I see your passport and ID i am bored compared to hey I just noticed your name is *female name* on the document is this a typo?

I frequently go into restricted areas and have interactions with law enforcement so I need to have everything match. That said I think I will aim for when I go full time which will be sometime next year. I'm aiming for the summer or fall.
  •  

Zumbagirl

I timed my own name change with a few things:

That my hair was long enough to make me happy.
That I would be able to do the first phase of my FFS at the same time
That my face was clear enough from electrolysis that I could go week to week with minimal shaving so I didn't have to worry about being under a harsh office light.

Once I had my FFS scheduled I filed my name change in court and I was off. When I returned home about a week later I had my legal name change in hand and started changing everything.
  •  

Rafiki

I had to change my name before and live full time as a female before I could start full HRT!  All it took was a Legal Deed Poll document (£35 for original and copies) which had then to be signed signed and witnessed.  Then the long term of sending these forms off to various government offices and other organizations who needed to know.

A slow process, but not too difficult - licking many stamps was an issue!
  •  

Raeden

Quote from: ImagineKate on November 10, 2014, 10:52:16 AM
I was born in Trinidad and Tobago and they still have laws on the books with jail time for sodomy and anything not straight or cis, but laws are really not enforced. However, they are looking to finally change those laws. I should talk to my contacts there (the current Prime Minister is actually a friend of the family) but my former MP is now wrapped up fully in a sex scandal, and I feel that the whole thing may just crash and burn... :\

There's one trans woman I know of there (Jowelle), and I should ask her how to get my passport and BC changed, if at all possible. It would be nice to keep the two passports as the Trinidad one gets me access to all CARICOM countries for work and shorter lines for visitors.

Worse comes to worse I still have my US docs and that is good in most places.

can you change name on birth certificate in trinidad???
  •