Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Feeling abandoned... backwards mentality by my old country

Started by ImagineKate, November 25, 2014, 12:12:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ImagineKate

Seems to be a common theme in my life. Being abandoned.

Latest is I'm finding out how to change documents in Trinidad and Tobago because maybe I'd like to hang on to my old passport for travel to the Caribbean. The CARICOM line is shorter and maybe one day I'd like to go for an extended stay. I love the USA but my heart is in the Caribbean too.

I reached out to a LGBT rights group and they told me that name changes cannot happen on birth certificate. You have to use a stupid affidavit sworn before a JP. Gender changes on any document including passport cannot happen, period. However they are working with policy makers to fix that, but it's just not going anywhere.

What is weird though is that there is a prominently open trans woman who has been out for years, and i heard she somehow managed to change her documents. Maybe I can ask her how she did it.

Apparently the big problem is pressure from the religious establishment. They vote and the Prime Minister promised she would formulate a new gender policy but after pressure from the churches she dropped the idea.

Screw 'em. I'm gonna use my US documents exclusively. They always give me trouble going through customs anyway, and I hate the &*#^%@@ third world mentality of trying to extract a bribe to do the littlest of things, and cowtowing to the religious establishment at every turn. Reminds me of when I was glad to board a plane on a one way ticket out of there...

Just thought I would rant. I'm a big girl and I can and will press on. But it is disappointing that they are talking about brain drain yet excluding their own sons and daughters.
  •  

K Style Addiction

I was born in Singapore but I can relate, im happy to be gone.

I understand what you mean when you say your hearts still in the Caribbean, even now I long for singapore, in every place there's good and bad, singapore while backwards was a very simple place with simple people.

In Singapore you can change legal documents but not ever in your life will you be able to change your birth certificate and it's the most lame thing about it.

In Singapore the trans community is almost nonexistent too so no one would care to listen to us so change will happen never...so I understand.

*hugs*
All I can say is that my life is pretty plain, I like watchin' the puddles gather rain.

Despite all my rage, I'm still just a rat in a cage
  •  

Raeden

Quote from: ImagineKate on November 25, 2014, 12:12:34 PM

What is weird though is that there is a prominently open trans woman who has been out for years, and i heard she somehow managed to change her documents. Maybe I can ask her how she did it.

did she ever tell you how she did it?
  •