Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

The US and atheists

Started by JohannaSwe, November 27, 2014, 07:41:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JohannaSwe

Hello, everybody! :)

I am a Swedish mtf pre-hrt and I don't think I have ever believed in any god. To be honest, Santa was more real than god because I would see him in Christmas (grandpa in disguise) :D
Sweden is a very secularised country, I don't really know why it is. However, mostly everyone I know don't believe in god. I think the odd thing here is to believe as the percentage of believers is low.

In the USA however, this seems to be taboo. Like how Ricky Gervais stated he was an atheist during the Golden Globe and apparently it started debates. I don't see how people can get offended by something like this.
Will you get weird looks by people if you tell them you are an atheist? What is the general opinion about atheists in the US, please enlighten me! :D
  •  

Pikachu

Depends on what part you're in, I'd think, but what was the percentage on this? 80% of Americans are Christians/religious? I forget, but us atheists are definitely in the minority. Even moreso in the south, where I live. You don't just get weird looks if you tell someone you're an atheist where I live. You're more likely to get a horrified look and/or given a lecture. I tell no one I'm an atheist unless it's necessary.

I honestly can't wait until I move to a secular country.
  •  

suzifrommd

Most parts of the US, people are tolerant of atheists. I supposed there are a few one church towns where an atheist would be ostracized, but certainly none of the places I've ever lived.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

JohannaSwe

Quote from: Pikachu on November 27, 2014, 08:15:00 AM
Depends on what part you're in, I'd think, but what was the percentage on this? 80% of Americans are Christians/religious? I forget, but us atheists are definitely in the minority. Even moreso in the south, where I live. You don't just get weird looks if you tell someone you're an atheist where I live. You're more likely to get a horrified look and/or given a lecture. I tell no one I'm an atheist unless it's necessary.

Then I don't see how the US truly can be "Land of the Free" if people keep getting judged because of what they do or do not believe in. :c

Did you have any particular country in mind? I have always wanted to move from Sweden but I think it just might be the best place for me to live on this Earth.   (.__.)
  •  

Daisy Jane

The United States is a huge country. It's 4464 km from Los Angeles to New York. There are many inconsistencies in our country including the phrase "Land of the free." Some areas are more tolerant of differences than others, but it's not illegal to be an atheist anywhere. Many will try to convert you or tell you that you're going to hell when they find out about your lack of belief.
  •  

peky

Quote from: JohannaSwe on November 27, 2014, 07:41:08 AM
Hello, everybody! :)

I am a Swedish mtf pre-hrt and I don't think I have ever believed in any god. To be honest, Santa was more real than god because I would see him in Christmas (grandpa in disguise) :D
Sweden is a very secularised country, I don't really know why it is. However, mostly everyone I know don't believe in god. I think the odd thing here is to believe as the percentage of believers is low.

In the USA however, this seems to be taboo. Like how Ricky Gervais stated he was an atheist during the Golden Globe and apparently it started debates. I don't see how people can get offended by something like this.
Will you get weird looks by people if you tell them you are an atheist? What is the general opinion about atheists in the US, please enlighten me! :D

If you work on an emergency room, or have been in combat (war) you will know that when death is near everybody believes in G-d....
  •  

JohannaSwe

Quote from: peky on November 27, 2014, 09:22:06 AM
If you work on an emergency room, or have been in combat (war) you will know that when death is near everybody believes in G-d....
If that is true the only problem for me is that I wouldn't know which one to choose ... Perhaps I would go with the Norse ones!  ;D
  •  

peky

Quote from: JohannaSwe on November 27, 2014, 09:28:41 AM
If that is true the only problem for me is that I wouldn't know which one to choose ... Perhaps I would go with the Norse ones!  ;D

Odin or Thor ?
  •  

Daisy Jane

And when people go bowling and their ball is about hit the gutter people often wave their hand like, "Go that way! Go that way!"
  •  

Devlyn

Quote from: Pikachu on November 27, 2014, 08:15:00 AM

Pretty good guess!  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

Quote from: JohannaSwe on November 27, 2014, 08:35:30 AM
Then I don't see how the US truly can be "Land of the Free" if people keep getting judged because of what they do or do not believe in. :c

Did you have any particular country in mind? I have always wanted to move from Sweden but I think it just might be the best place for me to live on this Earth.   (.__.)

Well, it is. I don't understand how you decide what the United States is or isn't based on one person's forum post? There are better ways of learning about a country you're considering moving to.
  •  

JohannaSwe

Quote from: Daisy Jane on November 27, 2014, 10:09:39 AM
And when people go bowling and their ball is about hit the gutter people often wave their hand like, "Go that way! Go that way!"
Baldur definitely! :D
  •  

JohannaSwe

Quote from: Devlyn Marie on November 27, 2014, 10:23:47 AM
Pretty good guess!  http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_the_United_States

Well, it is. I don't understand how you decide what the United States is or isn't based on one person's forum post? There are better ways of learning about a country you're considering moving to.
It is not just by her post, I just don't think I would fit in there. I have this imaginary image of USA which is not realistic, I realize I've made a fool out of myself in this thread though ...
  •  

Devlyn

Well, I have fifty three years of living here, and I have visited or lived in West Germany, France, Italy, Greece, Luxembourg, Canada, and Mexico, so I've seen some stuff. What would you like to know?
  •  

Jennifer RachaelAnn

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but here where I live it's almost a capital offense to be atheist. The same goes for most any religion other than xtianity. This area is so heavily ingrained in the bible that it's almost the ground we walk on. And people wonder why I wear an inverted cross around my neck.
"There are many who would take my time. I shun them.
There are some who share my time. I am entertained by them.
There are precious few who contribute to my time. I cherish them."

-Anton Szandor LaVey

•  

AnneK

I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

AnneK

Is that a fact?  Or some nonsense the religious claim?  I lean to the latter.
I'm a 65 year old male who has been thinking about SRS for many years.  I also was a  full cross dresser for a few years.  I wear a bra, pantyhose and nail polish daily because it just feels right.

Started HRT April 17, 2019.
  •  

Kylo

Well the USA has free speech enshrined, unlike most of the rest of us, which protects both the theists and the atheists and encourages some middle ground there. Sure the two groups may not necessarily enjoy mixing all that much but it's not "taboo" to be atheist in the USA by a long shot. What is more taboo is to thrust the religion question where it's not expected - i.e. like Gervais did. 
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •