Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

First Time Using Women's Room

Started by Skeptoid, December 23, 2014, 02:51:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ellesmira the Duck

I've just come across an interesting and relevant situation. So I'm at my dentist, and they have male and female restrooms but you have to ask for the key...which could get awkward if they hand you the wrong one. When I use the bathroom I just don't linger long and I've been fine so far...but that'd an extra complication I hadn't considered.
Live a life with no regrets and be the person you know you were meant to be.

I am a weird girl, I like video games and skirts, swords and nail polish, sharks and black lace...not sure if that's normal, definitely sure that I don't care. =P
  •  

Foxglove

I've often wondered why we're more nervous in the ladies' room than just about anywhere else.  It's much the same experience as any other.  If you're read, you're read.  That's always uncomfortable, wherever it happens.  The difference is that the consequences of being read in the ladies' room are potentially more serious than elsewhere.  That's where we can get called "pervert", "sexual predator", etc., and that's where perhaps the management or cops can be called in.  Not something to look forward to. 

Nonetheless, I still think it's basically the same experience we have in lots of other places.  We shop, we work, we go places for entertainment, etc.  We've got lots of things to do, and whatever we're doing, there's always a risk that things won't turn out well for us.

My experience in the ladies' might be relevant.  I've been using the ladies' for over two years now and have never once been challenged.  I have the advantage of being very passable, and at 5'3" I don't call attention to myself.  Also, my voice is very passable.  It never gives me away.

Even so, I can be quite nervous at times.  E.g., if there's a queue.  You'd like to get in and get out, but if you're forced to wait, you fear the delay will give others a chance to read you.

Now a lot of people say that women are more likely to have a chat in the loo than men are, and so the chances are greater that you're going to have to engage with someone face-to-face (and voice-to-voice).  I'd agree that on the whole women chat more in the loo than men--but it's usually when they're in a group.  My feeling is that an individual woman isn't any more likely to engage an individual in conversation than a man is.  This is to say that in two years I've very rarely been forced to get into conversation with someone.

Other people will no doubt disagree with me, but I personally haven't found the ladies' all that different from the gents'.  Individual women tend to just go about their business and then leave--which gives you the chance to do the same.

So my view is that the risks we face in the ladies' are often over-stated.  I personally don't feel they're much greater than they are anywhere else.  So my strategy in the loo is the same as anywhere else: I simply go about my business with confidence as if I have every right to be there (which I do).  If you act like a woman who knows exactly what she's doing, I think the chances are that's what people will see and they won't challenge you because they'll hardly even take note of you.

The scariest experience I ever had: I was at a play and during the intermission I had to go.  Knowing that there would be a rush, I got there in a hurry in order to get in and out before the place was too busy.  Now it turned out that I was the first one in.  But when I came out of the stall, the place was absolutely packed.  I was terrified.  But I simply reminded myself, "Be cool!  Act like you're a woman who has every right to be here."  That's what I did, and I didn't come to grief.

So my feeling is that even girls who are less passable will probably be OK in the ladies' as long as you don't do stuff that will attract attention to you.  Perhaps I'm wrong about this.  I hope not, because like everybody else on this planet sometimes we need to go--and like everybody else we should be able to exercise the simple right to go.  And what makes me angry is this view that transwomen are a threat to other women.  Rubbish!  One of the main reasons to use the ladies' is because there are certain cisguys who are a huge threat to us.

At any rate, those are my views--but I'm well aware that other people's experiences will be different from mine, so their views will be different from mine.
  •  

mac1

Quote from: Ellesmira the Duck on December 31, 2014, 12:01:19 PM
I've just come across an interesting and relevant situation. So I'm at my dentist, and they have male and female restrooms but you have to ask for the key...which could get awkward if they hand you the wrong one. When I use the bathroom I just don't linger long and I've been fine so far...but that'd an extra complication I hadn't considered.
Apparently they both were single user so there was not any difference.
?
  •  

Michelle G

I was at a Halloween concert this year and went to use the girls bathroom, big long line so I followed a couple other girls into the empty men's room and used a stall like they did...how ironic, lol!
Just a "California Girl" trying to enjoy each sunny day
  •  

mac1

Quote from: Michelle G on January 01, 2015, 02:26:21 AM
I was at a Halloween concert this year and went to use the girls bathroom, big long line so I followed a couple other girls into the empty men's room and used a stall like they did...how ironic, lol!
Girls are able to do that without a problem.
?
  •  

Eva Marie

Before I legally changed my name and gender I used the ladies room when I was presenting female and the gents room when I was presenting male. The great majority of the time I never ran into anyone in the ladies room, so I did not have to use my iffy voice. My appearance wasn't enough to get someone to call security on me.

Women do chat in the ladies room, so be prepared for that. Now that i'm legally a female I still find myself wary in the ladies room because of my voice. I have acid reflux and some days I just can't get my voice to make that clear high feminine sound like I can on non-reflux days. The ladies room has tile walls and they amplify how I sound so if it's an acid reflux day I do not sound like a female with my voice echoing around those walls. I try to limit what I say on those days but sometimes a coworker comes in and starts up a chat with me.

I have also had strangers start chatting with me and I have managed to produce a female voice each time thank heavens.

My voice remains the one thing that I can never be sure about because of the acid reflux. It's the one thing that may reveal my past when i'm in the ladies room.
  •  

Alana_Jane

Eve,

Please stay on top of taking care of your acid-reflux.  I know of one poor fellow who felt his lymph cancer was due to untreated acid reflux, he passed in less than a year after his diagnosis.  I myself take a daily dose of Ranitidine.  One trip I'd forgot it and wound up using OTC version, taking two pills to make my prescription dose.

Back on topic, I've only lady's a few times, as I've been occasionally presenting as female in public only since August.  But I always make sure to wash my hands, and take the time to refresh my makeup.  I did read about on X-dresser got arrested for taking photo's in the lady's at Antelope Valley Mall.  Ugh, that gives me pause to go there and people watch, to be taken as one of those :embarrassed:
Alana - Beautiful/Serene/Awakening
  •  

Ms Grace

I've been using the ladies for almost a year now and not a single problem. I had my first experience with having to queue recently - a bit uncomfortable since one can't just duck in and out but even having to stand in a line for five minutes wasn't a problem (good thing I wasn't busting!).
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •