Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

What is (or was) your experience of Gender Dysphoria like?

Started by Rya, December 24, 2014, 06:13:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rya

What does gender dysphoria look like for you? What does it feel like?

I'm asking because I'm trying to sort through my own feelings. My understanding is that most folks experience it as feeling at a deep-down core-level that your gender is different from your birth sex.

My experience is that, at a deep down level, I am a man, like-it-or-not. The fact of the matter is that I don't like it, and I wish I could be a woman. The few little windows of opportunity I've had to experience being female (like being referred to with female pronouns), I've felt like my world goes technicolor, the sun comes out, rainbows appear, and I am surrounded by unicorns, lol. And yet I feel like I can't be a woman... shouldn't be a woman... because that is not my authentic self.

It's like I have this irrational fear that some sort of transgender police are going to find me and tell me that I know deep down inside that I'm not a woman, so just give it up... just keep being a man, because that's who I really am. And after all, we can't all be who we wish we were.

I just... I don't know. I've never hated my body. I've never felt out of place as a man. I've never felt terribly masculine either. I'm a man, just not a very good one. But if I could push a button and instantly become a woman, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does this even "count" as gender dysphoria? And what was (or is) your experience of dysphoria like?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •  

Elis

Gender dysphoria is different for everyone, it is a spectrum. For me it's a constant feeling of being uncomfortable with my body and how I'm perceived as female not male. I don't feel like I'm the trans cliche of 'a boy stuck in the body of a girl' but rather stuck in everybody elses perception of being female. Of course this is different for everyone. If you feel happy being female rather than male then you are transgender. I think every trans person has to get past the notion that it's some how fake and a pretence to think you're another gender other than the one written on your birth certificate,  but that's ridiculous. If you're unhappy living as male then live as female, otherwise you're just existing,  not living.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

stephaniec

•  

carol_w

Ryan, you're not the only one who feels this way.  I've been all over the map, including starting HRT and then stopping it a few weeks later due to my fears.  I think that it's exacerbated by my own expectations - I mean, I'm the father of two grown children and Grandpa to five.  Add to that my Christian faith, and and I find myself constantly crying inside "Why can't I just be happy with my male self?". 

I'm making one last-ditch effort to figure out what I need to do to "fix the issue", with the help of a gender therapist.  I don't care if it involves occasional crossdressing, a full-blown transition, or somewhere in between.  My family sees my pain and due to their beliefs, I can't share it.  They see that I'm dreadfully unhappy and depressed, and they are concerned for me.  So my explorations have taken on a new urgency. 

I do know this - gender dysphoria will slowly kill you if you let it.  There's only one thing that I can tell you to do - work on it now because it will only get worse with age, no matter how hard you try to bury it.
  •  

SunKat

For me, my dysphoria is primarily social. What I truly crave is just a feeling of being ordinary and accepted as a woman.  I just want to be normal and not in conflict.

Yes, there are parts of my body that I hate and that I would change if I could... but the body parts are just something to blame.  Most of my self hatred is a product of frustration and longing.  I hate the size of my hands, the width of my shoulders and the hair that grows everywhere,  but there are certainly enough cis women out there with similar problems.  If I felt like I belonged I think I could eventually come to terms with my body; or at least have someone to commiserate with. 

As far as how I feel deep down... that is a little ambiguous.  I know that I don't feel happy being male or playing the male role,  but I also know that I've missed out on a lot of female socialization and life experience.  This leaves me questioning and feeling as though I'm neither gender.  I'm uncomfortable being one and not easily accepted as the other.  This leaves me feeling "othered" and alone. My internal experience of gender feels like my experience of religious faith.  The simple fact that I've questioned mine sets me apart from all those who don't.  It's an existential conundrum.

Like faith, I suppose it all comes down to self acceptance,  ...to be able to accept something is so despite the opinions of others and all of the apparent arguments & contradictions.  This is not something I'm any good at.
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: YourFriendRyan on December 24, 2014, 06:13:17 AM
I just... I don't know. I've never hated my body. I've never felt out of place as a man. I've never felt terribly masculine either. I'm a man, just not a very good one. But if I could push a button and instantly become a woman, I would do it in a heartbeat.

Has anyone else experienced anything like this? Does this even "count" as gender dysphoria? And what was (or is) your experience of dysphoria like?

You're describing the first 50 years of my life. That's EXACTLY how I felt.

After posting on Susan's for a few months, I learned that a lot of MtF trans women feel this way, and that the "woman in a man's body" feeling is far from universal.

I've been happily living as a woman for the past 18 months. It's wonderful.

Yes. IT COUNTS!!!
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

cathyrains

QuoteBut if I could push a button and instantly become a woman

So is it the idea of becoming a woman that was attractive? I'm curious because I can partially relate. I am very cynical of so-called "gender feelings" e.g. "feel like a woman" "feel feminine inside" or indeed their male/masculine counterparts. Neither biological sex nor gender role translate to emotions for me.
Exceptions to the norm do not constitute a spectrum.
  •  

androgynouspainter26

I think for me, it wasn't anything so clear as "feeling feminine" or even "being a woman trapped in a man's body"-it was more like I felt uncomfortable with my body, and a female one seemed...better for me.  I cross-dressed from a young age, but I didn't actually become aware of any discomfort until puberty started...I remember how scared I was when I began to grow body hair.  I didn't want a female body per se, just one that wasn't male.  I guess I gust slid into my transiton, and over time the feelings have become more intense.
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

cathyrains

Quote from: androgynouspainter26 on December 24, 2014, 02:35:39 PM
I think for me, it wasn't anything so clear as "feeling feminine" or even "being a woman trapped in a man's body"-it was more like I felt uncomfortable with my body, and a female one seemed...better for me.  I cross-dressed from a young age, but I didn't actually become aware of any discomfort until puberty started...I remember how scared I was when I began to grow body hair.  I didn't want a female body per se, just one that wasn't male.  I guess I gust slid into my transiton, and over time the feelings have become more intense.

Who doesn't feel discomfort during puberty? I'm pretty sure that's a universal experience, trans, cis, male, female. Every teenager feels awkward, like an "outsider", freakish especially with all the changes that happen to our bodies at that age ...even those who outwardly display confidence at that age.
  •  

cathyrains

In the course of my therapy, I've become increasingly convinced that my so-called MtF "gender dysphoria" is a product of a uniquely MALE experience and perspective rather than valid female identity.
  •  

Rya

Carol and SunKat, I relate to both of your faith experiences. My family and my closest friends are all Evangelical Christians. I have now talked to probably a dozen people about it, and the religious response has been compassion mixed with deep concern that I've abandoned Truth.

Quote from: Elis on December 24, 2014, 08:15:21 AM
If you feel happy being female rather than male then you are transgender. I think every trans person has to get past the notion that it's some how fake and a pretence to think you're another gender other than the one written on your birth certificate,  but that's ridiculous. If you're unhappy living as male then live as female, otherwise you're just existing,  not living.

Thank you Elis. This comment made me happy! I think you are spot on, and this perspective really helps me.

Quote from: cathyrains on December 24, 2014, 01:51:27 PM
So is it the idea of becoming a woman that was attractive?
Quote from: cathyrains on December 24, 2014, 02:49:13 PM
In the course of my therapy, I've become increasingly convinced that my so-called MtF "gender dysphoria" is a product of a uniquely MALE experience and perspective rather than valid female identity.

Cathy, I don't quite understand your question. Yes, the idea of becoming a woman is attractive, but I'm not sure how that's different than anyone else. But I resonate with a lot of what you said. In particular, I've thought to myself a few times of just how "male" my desire to become a female is. I would like to hear more about your experience.

•  

Damara

My dysphoria is an almost constant distressed feeling about having a male body, and people knowing me as male. Before puberty before my body became more masculine I never felt super dysphoric, but I was wanting to dress as a girl, and did when possible!
  •  

jeni

Quote from: YourFriendRyan on December 24, 2014, 06:13:17 AM

The button metaphor is one that captures exactly how I've felt about this since I was about 9 years old.

I've also never felt especially wrong with my body as it is, but I've always felt like I wished for a female body and known that I'd be happier that way. As I've been coming out and taking little private transition steps, I have indeed been feeling more and more comfortable with myself. Even just beginning to accept this and think of myself as a girl has made me feel more confident and comfortable in situations that have nothing whatsoever to do with gender. I'm just not using energy repressing something about myself.

As a boy, I've mostly just felt sort of blah. I'm not sure where exactly I lie on the spectrum. At first I thought of myself as a girl with a male body, but I'm starting to wonder if I'm somewhere in between, but identifying more strongly with a female body/social role. That might explain why I don't feel completely uncomfortable with my (for now) male body. Or maybe not. In any case, I've decided I don't actually need to figure that out. I'll just be whatever is comfortable and let someone who cares label me if they want.

Back to the button, the one I had in my childhood (and beyond) fantasies had the feature that it left everyone except me thinking I'd always been a woman so that I wouldn't have any difficult explaining to do. The change that enabled me (or led me) to accept the truth about myself was letting go of that feature. It's ok with me if people know I'm different, and it's ok with me if they don't understand. As long as they can accept it (or respectfully pretend to accept it) then I can live with that. It's better than hiding the unshakable longing for the "impossible" that I've been doing for the last 3 decades.
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

Eva Marie

My dysphoria manifested differently than what others have described here, and because of that (plus a lack of access to information) it took me until I was about 43 to figure out where the malaise was coming from.

The feelings I was having were very much like depression - I was not able to enjoy anything, I had no hope, everything was bland and blah, my life had no other color than gray, I had no emotions, and I hated social situations and avoided them like the plague. I let no one get close to me, because if they knew me they would not like me. I was just going through the emotions each day to make it through life with no plans or goals, and I was drowning myself in alcohol every night to escape these feelings. I had nothing to say about anything.

I was alive but was not living.

Within a month of going on a transitioning dose of HRT it was like a light switch flipped on in my brain. Suddenly the world was a very interesting place, with vivid colors everywhere. I had emotions; I enjoyed social situations; I had hope and the ability to look past the negativity around me and see the good things in people and in life. I made lots of new friends, and I love being social - you can't shut me up!  :laugh: I am happy for the first time in my life.
  •  

IAmDariaQuinn

For me, there's a few aspects of my dysphoria that seem to stick out

1 - the idea that subconsciously, other people see things about me that I don't.  I have memories stemming back to my early childhood of either having to be told (usually by my father) that something I was doing as not "like a boy", or my peers and others telling me that I did things "like a girl".  That I sounded like a girl because my voice was naturally high, and having my dad try to downplay that by claiming I was an "irish tenor" even when I was an alto until high school, when my voice finally dropped... barely.  People are always calling me "ma'am" on the phone, friends pulling me aside asking me if I'm gay because I apparently give off a "gay vibe"... which I guess might be true if I was living as a woman, but not so much when I'm born and allegedly supposed to be a guy.

2 - the fact that I have this birth defect that affects my urinary tract.  Like maybe there was a mistake in the womb, and I wasn't supposed to develop this way.  Having repeated surgeries every few just to be able to piss regularly, it messes with my head.

3 - this lingering feeling that I didn't belong in the boys' room, so to speak.  Masculinity itself just seems to foreign to me.  I admit, having lived in this role for 30 some odd years, I picked up some of the tricks of the trade.   But it still doesn't feel natural.  Add to that bits from my first point, abut how others seemingly saw things about me that I didn't, and that for the first half of my life, essentially, I was made to feel completely unwelcome in boys' locker rooms.  So I don't even want to be here, exposing myself to people with no respect for privacy whatsoever, and all I get is that feeling doubled down on and confirmed at every turn.  I can't even go into a stall to use the bathroom by myself without someone kicking in a door until well into my 20s without having to plan an entire day around being able to get to a bathroom where no one else would be.

4 - I've seemed to care more about women's rights, gay rights, and trans rights than a person that didn't have a personal stake in any of those ideas ought to.  Like these forms of discrimination affected me personally, because... they do, apparently.  I didn't take up these fights because I felt someone else was being wronged.  I took it up because I felt personally insulted by the very concept of these forms of oppression.  Maybe because I can look back in hindsight and realize that a lot of the locker room and bathroom harassment I dealt with in school stemmed from a similar premise, this idea that your body doesn't belong to you.  That you're just here to serve someone else's needs and desires, either sexually or otherwise. 

5 - the fact that so many, especially my dad, seemed to work so hard in order to remind me, almost daily, that I was a boy.  as if I wasn't taking to it naturally.  Given, this goes back to that first point of other people seeing things about me that I didn't, but I kind of feel this sticks out because it feels like there was this intentional campaign to assure me of this identity that I clearly wasn't comfortable in.  Like I actually had to be taught how to be a boy because I didn't have the instinct.  And it would be little things.  The way I'd talk.  The way I'd wave to friends.  Being told to go around without a shirt despite feeling gorribly uncomfortable that way.  Being told to walk off otherwise serious injuries, like a broken arm, because that's what "men" do.  Nevermind being encouraged to play tackle football with teenagers at 6 years old because your dad says you need to be more like the other boys, which is how your arm got broken in the first place.  So either my dad was just really macho for some reason... and he was.  But maybe he felt he needed to be because his son felt more like a daughter.  Not trying to excuse it, more just trying to understand it.

Sadly, abuse has played a role in my dysphoria, but only more to exacerbate it and make it worse.  So I repressed it.  As much as I could for as long as I could.  And over the last year, I've had this Pandora's Box open back up and realize just how much I've let this fester over the years.  How much I've talked myself out of this, doing everyone else's work for me to convince myself, "yeah, they're right, I'm really a boy.  I have the parts, right?  So I must be."  Except, the parts don't always work right, and the role never feels right.  I hate my name.  I hate the distance there is between me and female friends because of body parts that tell them that our friendship can only be superficial, at best.  I hate that I spent the past year agonizing over whether anyone would even begin to accept me as a trans woman because I'm still romantically and sexually attracted to other women.  I hate that I spent so much of my life being told I was this thing I'm not, only to spent the other half of it trying to convince myself that they were right.  I hate all this body hair I have, this penis that can't piss right half the time and keeps having to be worked on every couple years because my urehtra closes up, the fact that I don't know who I can trust because of the so many ways I've been screwed over by those who claim to love me the most.  I hate being used, this feeling that my body's not even my own, that other people feel they have a right over it even when I play by their stupid rules.  I hate that I can't just be seen as the girl I am without risking everything I have, and that I have no idea if coming out will even pay off.  What if I go through all of this and still end up old and alone and miserable?

I hate that I couldn't have been Daria all along.

mrs izzy

Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

androgynouspainter26

Daria hon, I just felt compelled to comment that I feel your pain.  That upbringing is a hellish one I know well-too feminine for the boys, and to male for the girls.  It's traumatizing and takes time to recover from that, and I just wanted to say that I've been there, and you are not alone.
My gender problem isn't half as bad as society's.  Although mine is still pretty bad.
  •  

MeghanAndrews

That's an interesting question and I'm sure the way I'm answering this today is different than I would have when I started transition years ago and definitely different than I would have pre-transition. So realizing that, here goes. I think for me it was like knowing that I was not being perceived by people for who I really was. It was knowing I was different from a young age and always feeling like life just would have made a lot more sense if I had been born cisfemale. The pieces would have all fit together better. I have no idea why that is and probably never will. But that's ok. I think the important thing is that many of us try to carve out the life we see ourselves as inside. That's kind of how I approached my transition...like "What do I need to do so that every person that I know or will know sees me as the person I truly am, not this person that feels like an actor going along with things?"

Then I just did the things I need to do to get to that place. A lot of stuff was just like somehow not doing the stuff I had to do to be seen as a guy anymore, but other things like surgeries and some voice stuff and hair removal, etc. was a bit more. For me, gender dysphoria, and I just made a blog post here about this, is something that seems easy for me to downplay the role it played in my life since I transitioned. I have the luxury of not having to think about gender and trans stuff unless I make a conscious effort to. It took like 37 years to get to that point, but I can go back and read old blog posts or watch old youtube videos to get a more accurate idea of what it was like....or read all my teen angsty poetry with veiled metaphors about it. I wish you all luck in your journey. It's definitely not easy to deal with when the gender dysphoria is pushing on you really hard :(
  •  

jeni

Quote from: IAmDariaQuinn on January 11, 2015, 01:27:05 AM
4 - I've seemed to care more about women's rights, gay rights, and trans rights than a person that didn't have a personal stake in any of those ideas ought to.  Like these forms of discrimination affected me personally, because... they do, apparently.  I didn't take up these fights because I felt someone else was being wronged.  I took it up because I felt personally insulted by the very concept of these forms of oppression.  Maybe because I can look back in hindsight and realize that a lot of the locker room and bathroom harassment I dealt with in school stemmed from a similar premise, this idea that your body doesn't belong to you.  That you're just here to serve someone else's needs and desires, either sexually or otherwise. 
This is something that's been true of me. I'd chalked it up to my just being a caring, enlightened person who happened to have a lot of gay friends, but now I sort of wonder. Without conscious intent, for some reason I've very often found myself in social groups that skew LGBT+. It was a bit puzzling at times, because I didn't really think of myself in those terms because I never felt attraction to other males, but I guess I didn't consider the T very seriously. Oops.
-=< Jennifer >=-

•  

kellyferguson

For me its always been an anxiety. a dissonance between my identity and my body. I can't say I felt like a woman because I don't have anything to compare it to. I can say it just felt wrong. In puberty I had gynemastia. My parents were worried. I was thrilled. All those years of praying to wake up a girl were going to be realized. Sadly it wasn't to be.

When I finally started meds, the anxiety completely disappeared in 48 hours. Its been two months, I still present male, I'd still prefer presenting as female but I could go indefinitely in this state. I'm free!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  •