Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Woes of a cat owner...

Started by Tossu-sama, December 29, 2014, 10:17:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tossu-sama

I've seriously had enough cat drama for the rest of the year (yes, I just had to do that), thanks to yesterday and probably for the rest of this week.

Long story short, our cat Paavo was acting really weird yesterday and didn't want to be picked up among all the other weird things. He usually loves to be picked up and curls up in a ball to fit better in my arms but not this time. It was clearly uncomfortable for him. I also noticed that he had problems with peeing, nothing came out and if it did, in the wrong places. He also had slightly reddish stuff coming from his pee department which was really the last straw. I did some quick internet research which ended in digging up the phone number of the municipality's vet. Judging by the symptoms, the vet suspected urinary problems and told me to take Paavo there ASAP. Luckily a friend of mine was available to drive us there since it was like a 30min drive away and I couldn't have afforded a taxi (seriously, that guy is awesome and I can't think of a way to repay him).

So, after Paavo was sedated and anestetized (...did I spell it right?) this was the deal (direct translation from Finnish, may contain errors):

"Paavo had a blockage at the end of his urinary track. The blockage was cleared with a catheter and bladder emptied. Urine residue was examined and calcium oxalate crystals were found. Administered pain medication and antibiotics. Pain medication will be resumed at home starting from tomorrow and antibiotics 1½ tablets twice a day starting tomorrow morning. In addition the cat was administered physiological fluid under the skin. The cat is to be placed to wake up in a warm place at floor level. Suggested to switch the diet to prevent formation of urinary stones in the future."

...Yush. Lovely, isn't it?

And THANK GOODNESS I didn't wait for any longer or it could've been too late... His bladder was literally at its limits, or like it's said in Finland, he had a bubble on his forehead or head so full it doesn't even slosh around anymore. It's terrible to think what could've happened.

All in all, he's recovering fine. He was a bit stoned from the anesthesia - which was fun to watch - but he ate a good portion of organ mix and pork and I saw him drink as well! Always a positive sign in cat's recovery.

Well, today I had a moment of anxiety when I watched him trying to pee without getting anything out and finally having an accident on the kitchen floor and all over his hind legs and tail. There was no sign of blood in the pee, though, BUT STILL I called the vet just in case. She told it was all normal, considering it was less than 24 hours since the catheter galore and since he was eating and drinking, everything should be fine so yay, daddy overreacted...
Apparently, the catheter thing just has caused his urinary track to swell and since he's a male cat, it's even "worse" so peeing is a bit difficult with the swelling and considering the clog was right at the end AKA in the tip of his kitty wang, it's even moreso on the sore side.

I just got back from getting him special dry food meant to prevent urinary problems like that from happening with the low phosphorus and magnesium content. I also placed two extra water bowls around the house so he'll have water available all the time. His regular diet is also quite good already, he's on BARF diet so he gets lot of water through the food itself.
And of course, he's on antibiotics and pain meds for few days so it'll further help his recovery. But please tell me who thought it was a good idea to put kitty meds in the form of pills and tablets??? I'm surprised I'm still intact instead of a bloody pulp on the floor.

So yeah... a slight vent from a concerned kitty daddy...
This has just been so stressful you won't even believe it!
  •  

mrs izzy

Hugs to kitty

Oh and one to  daddy also.

Mrs. Izzy
Trans lifeline US 877-565-8860 CAD 877-330-6366 http://www.translifeline.org/
"Those who matter will never judge, this is my given path to walk in life and you have no right to judge"

I used to be grounded but now I can fly.
  •  

Tossu-sama

Continuation to this unfortunate tale...

So, Paavo recovered well for the first few days after the vet visit but then on Friday it kinda took few steps backwards and I called a vet to ask what was going on. Well, his pain med prescription was renewed and got a new one the same day. We suspected it could've been due to stopping his pain meds (he was prescribed with it for three days) so it was possible that it was just too painful for him to pee properly.

Anyway, I wasn't pleased with how things looked like on Saturday and decided that I had to take him to the vet again. I just couldn't get anyone to drive me there that day but luckily a friend of mine was available on Sunday. Long story short, Paavo didn't have new residue clogging anything (THANK GOODNESS) but the muckus membrane of his thingy was irritated due to the catheter week ago and also because he had been licking it too much (well duh, he's a cat, of course he does it) and the opening had almost glued itself shut. His bladder was full again since he hadn't been able to pee. He had to be cathered again to empty his bladder. He also had a shot of antibiotics and a good amount of fluid under his skin to help his system to dilute his pee. (FYI, cat pee is naturally quite "strong" since they are carnivores and meat based diet tends to cause the pee to be relatively acidic.)

All in all, his pain medication continues for another three days now and I gotta apply a tiny drop of basic lotion to the tip of his thingy daily to keep it from drying and getting irritated so it won't seal itself all over again. Also...

Doctor's orders. :D So don't be surprised if I mysteriously disappear, it's because he has killed me.
He has to wear that for at least a week to keep him from licking himself too much. Cat tongue isn't exactly the smoothest thing in the world...
  •  

Randommaturetransgirl

I have had some bad times with my cats too. The first was when i got my ginger cat he hid behind the washing machine for a couple of days and he wasnt eating it was not the best and the second time was when my wee black cat jumped out the kitchen window and we live above a restraunt so our cats are house cats and i swear my heart nearly fell out my chest with how fast it was beating.
  •  

Tossu-sama

Quote from: Randommaturetransgirl on January 07, 2015, 04:08:05 PM
I have had some bad times with my cats too. The first was when i got my ginger cat he hid behind the washing machine for a couple of days and he wasnt eating it was not the best and the second time was when my wee black cat jumped out the kitchen window and we live above a restraunt so our cats are house cats and i swear my heart nearly fell out my chest with how fast it was beating.

Oh no, it's certainly not good if a cat goes without eating even for one day, it's not good for their kidneys. But considering if your kitty was brought into a new environment, it's no surprise if he hid somewhere. :) Change of surroundings is always stressful.

Our cat also went without eating for at least couple days two years ago and that was seriously so unfortunate and terrible thing to happen. It was summer time and the hottest weeks on top of that. He was allowed to go outside without leash etc but he usually stayed closeby and checked back at home frequently. But then he suddenly went missing for two days but we brushed it off since it's a male cat we're talking about and such. Well lo and behold, he comes back with blood dripping from his mouth that's so swollen he can't close it, he stinks like a carcass and looks so emaciated that it hurt to look at him. He was taken to the vet ASAP and we were told it was a small miracle he was still alive. He was so badly dehydrated thanks to the hot weather and having not eaten in couple days... He was literally in the brink of death.
He had a huge gash under his jaw that had filled with pus (which explained the terrible smell) but he hadn't been hit by a car or anything. The vet said the injuries fit to be the result of a human attacking him, by hitting or kicking his face but a cat is way too fast for a person to catch... Too bad our cat is very friendly towards humans, he doesn't understand that not all humans are nice. So in conclusion, he was apparently kicked in the face by some major case jerk who thought it was a great idea to hurt an innocent animal. >:( Whoever it was also apparently thought he would be brushed off as a stray if his collar was taken off.
That was the last time he was allowed to roam outside freely and now he does his outings in a harness and leash to protect him. Luckily he doesn't mind the harness/leash combo at all, he just had to get used to not being able to climb the fence anymore. |D

Aaand he also once jumped out the window when we were living in an apartment building. Fortunately it was the first floor but there was a major street next to us so naturally we were worried he could run to the street and get run over.
...Except that he got so scared that he hid in the first bush he came across. XD
  •  

Elsa Delyth

My kittens mainly get wet food to prevent just that. Normally in the wild cats get most of their water from their food, the blood from the meat. Wet food has the same water content, and because cats get most of their water from their food normally, they have a low thirst drive for water, and generally drink less than they require on a dry food diet, leading to urinary track problems.

I give them dry food too, but just so that they always have something to pick at, but their main diet is the dry food. I've also been told that their water shouldn't be near their food, or they will opt for the food instead a lot of times, even though they went there because they were thirsty. So the water is in a different room. 
"If I can't dance, I don't want to be part of your revolution." Emma Goldman.
  •  

Tossu-sama

Our cat is on BARF diet and we aim to keep his diet cereal free as well since it caused him digestive problems. BARF diet is excellent when it comes to preventing urinary problems due to its high moisture content. :) Avoiding pork, beef, oily fish and heart from innards also works for preventing those issues. I've been doing research in this case for some reason. |D

In general, I'm a big spokesman for BARF diet, or raw feeding, when it comes to cats. I have pretty much zero trust in the cat food the everyday markets sell, they're usually 30-50% cereal, sometimes even more, which is ridiculous when a majority of cats can't handle cereals in their diet at all. :s
Of course raw feeding very often requires one to meddle with raw meat which might be a bit on the gross side. But it's much healthier and natural food for a cat compared to the mush markets have to offer. Then again... I doubt many cats have managed to kill a cow. :D
  •  

ImagineKate

Our cats have been missing the litterbox of late. Doesn't help when my wife accidentally locks them in the bedroom... and I have to go scoop up the poop. :\
  •  

Kristyn74

Quote from: ImagineKate on January 12, 2015, 10:00:18 AM
Our cats have been missing the litterbox of late. Doesn't help when my wife accidentally locks them in the bedroom... and I have to go scoop up the poop. :\
Just a note for when this happens use a damp cloth soaked and rinsed in vinegar that will stop them going there again
  •  

ImagineKate

•  

Tossu-sama

Our woes are over for now, Paavo continues his existence in that mythical better place.

His urinary problems got so bad in the end that there was basically nothing left to do. The problems would've just come back again and again, and he would've needed cathetering every week. Not even a surgery would've guaranteed him getting better.
Since me and my fiancée have always been ready to do everything we can for him and we didn't want him to be in pain anymore, we decided to do the one last thing for him and give him a pain-free death.

Thus, Paavo fell asleep for the last time on Sunday, January 11 at the age of five years and nine months.

We miss him so much.
  •  

missymay

Quote from: Tossu-sama on January 12, 2015, 01:12:11 PM
Our woes are over for now, Paavo continues his existence in that mythical better place.

His urinary problems got so bad in the end that there was basically nothing left to do. The problems would've just come back again and again, and he would've needed cathetering every week. Not even a surgery would've guaranteed him getting better.
Since me and my fiancée have always been ready to do everything we can for him and we didn't want him to be in pain anymore, we decided to do the one last thing for him and give him a pain-free death.

Thus, Paavo fell asleep for the last time on Sunday, January 11 at the age of five years and nine months.

We miss him so much.

I'm sorry for your loss; I had a kitty that developed similar symptoms, and I had to make the same decision as you; totally sucks. God bless
  •