Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

The season's upon us, let food bring us cheer

Started by immortal gypsy, December 21, 2014, 03:04:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

immortal gypsy

By either choice, distance, attitudes or other circumstances. Some of us won't be spending the season with our families :'(. So I was thinking if we can share some recipes that we bring out on special occasions, be it cooking tips, meals, snacks whatever. Maybe we can spread some joy for those of us that are feeling down on the 25th.
MERRYTRANS*MAS to each and every one

---------------------------------------------------------------

Garlic Potatoes

Mix crushed garlic into butter. (My friends and I love garlic, so we use a fair bit and this is a staple to most of my cooking))
Cut potatoes into cubes about the same size and shape
Toss potatoes in butter until well coated
Lay flat on a oven tray
Bake for around 50min until golden brown in the oven at 200ºC (400ºF)

An alternative to the usual large baked potato and mmm it has garlic
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

Si vis bellum, parra pacem
  •  

Cindy

•  

MySongIsLaughter

I like attacking everything with "festive" ingredients like oranges, cranberries and cinnamon.

When doing a roast chicken (much smaller than a turkey for fewer people or a tiny oven) I stick an orange inside it and stuff dried cranberries everywhere I can get them. I then slice additional oranges in half and arrange them around the sides. Also, grating orange zest over the top and squeezing the juice over adds even more flavour!

Leftover chicken's great for sandwiches, risotto, curry etc. and I manage to make stock from it in quite a small pan (great for stew or for cooking rice!).

Could also season quorn "chicken" with orange juice and cook with cranberries for a healthier and meatless option!
  •  

King Malachite

I followed this dessert recipe for Thanksgiving:  http://fbshare.sfglobe.com/2014/11/24/simple-steps-to-make-fudge-in-the-microwave/?src=fbfan_20020

However, I used white chocolate chips and I believe the condensed sweetened milk was old because it was brown, but it was still tasted good and my nephew actually asked me to make it again for Christmas.  I just wish the milk was white because it would be cool if the fudge actually looked white instead of brown, but my nephew told me to make it the exact same way that I did last time, so yeah. lol.
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

V M

Found this Baked chicken cordon bleu recipe that looks like a rather tasty twist on the whole Christmas ham thing

Then of course there will be mash potatoes and gravy and vegetables and such
The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

LordKAT

condensed milk that has turned brown has 'carmelized'. It is a good thing when it comes to candy making in general and definitely makes good fudge.  Also works great for candied apples.
  •  

V M

Quote from: immortal gypsy on December 21, 2014, 03:04:51 AM
By either choice, distance, attitudes or other circumstances. Some of us won't be spending the season with our families :'(. So I was thinking if we can share some recipes that we bring out on special occasions, be it cooking tips, meals, snacks whatever. Maybe we can spread some joy for those of us that are feeling down on the 25th.
MERRYTRANS*MAS to each and every one

I was talking to my therapist about feeling down (even suicidal) about being alone and the holidays, he suggested that possibly finding something to do for others would help

So I gave it a whirl and cooked Thanksgiving dinner for an elderly neighbor and it made me feel pretty good to do so

Now I'm looking to expand upon that by making dinner for a small group of folks for Christmas, not sure how many will show up but if I can bring a smile to even just one then success is mine

The main things to remember in life are Love, Kindness, Understanding and Respect - Always make forward progress

Superficial fanny kissing friends are a dime a dozen, a TRUE FRIEND however is PRICELESS

- V M
  •  

immortal gypsy

Hugs V M  :icon_hug:

Tip I learnt from my days in the kitchen.

Subsitute vinegar for oil when making crackeling, gives the crackle a lighter texture. In the kitchen we would use white vinegar but at home it was cider vinegar
Do not fear those who have nothing left to lose, fear those who are prepared to lose it all

•  

V M

- V M
  •  

King Malachite

Quote from: LordKAT on December 21, 2014, 04:51:16 AM
condensed milk that has turned brown has 'carmelized'. It is a good thing when it comes to candy making in general and definitely makes good fudge.  Also works great for candied apples.

Ah, so basically I had "carmel" fudge with white chocolate chips? lol
Feel the need to ask me something or just want to check out my blog?  Then click below:

http://www.susans.org/forums/index.php/topic,135882.0.html

"Sometimes you have to go through outer hell to get to inner heaven."

"Anomalies can make the best revolutionaries."
  •  

rosinstraya

Quote from: V M on December 21, 2014, 05:22:08 AM
I was talking to my therapist about feeling down (even suicidal) about being alone and the holidays, he suggested that possibly finding something to do for others would help

So I gave it a whirl and cooked Thanksgiving dinner for an elderly neighbor and it made me feel pretty good to do so

Now I'm looking to expand upon that by making dinner for a small group of folks for Christmas, not sure how many will show up but if I can bring a smile to even just one then success is mine

You're a good woman V M! Hope you have a house (or apartment) full of people!  :)
[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
  •  

Dee Marshall

Made this: http://cookingfortwo.about.com/od/beef/r/beefwellington.htm for Sweetie's birthday. Often we do it on the anniversary of Waterloo and serve napoleons for dessert, just to be silly. We both love to cook and have hundreds of recipes. I could honestly fill this thread, but I won't!

Dee
Eating home made scones with double devon cream and jam for breakfast.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

stephaniec

substituting champagne for water when making cranberry sauce is delicious
  •  

immortal gypsy

Quote from: Dee Walker on December 22, 2014, 09:07:15 AM
Made this: http://cookingfortwo.about.com/od/beef/r/beefwellington.htm for Sweetie's birthday. Often we do it on the anniversary of Waterloo and serve napoleons for dessert, just to be silly. We both love to cook and have hundreds of recipes. I could honestly fill this thread, but I won't!

Dee
Eating home made scones with double devon cream and jam for breakfast.

Oh the special ones that you bring out for special occasions, bring them out Dee please.

This is my ex GF's recipe. Her family would bring it out everytime they all got together. There was actually a set order on who was allowed to bring it along.
It's good for a starter

Chesse Ball

Two blocks of cream cheese
Greated cheese
Chopped onion
Paprika

Combine both types of cheese and onion into a large bowl.
Shape into a rough ball shape (dosen't have to be pefect)
cover in paprika
wrap in foil place in fridge to firm

•  

Jill F

Beer is food, right? 

It seems we had no freaking clue that the people who came to our party were in the mood for mostly red wine, and three cases of beer went mostly ignored.  Now I have a fridge full of beer and I need to make room for food.   I think I might need to invite my father over to take care of that problem for us.
  •  

Dee Marshall

April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

immortal gypsy

Quote from: Jill F on December 22, 2014, 09:17:48 PM
Beer is food, right? 
Quote from: Dee Walker on December 22, 2014, 10:56:10 PM
What kind of beer?
As long as it is not light or low carb (they are not beers they are just wrong!!!) beer is steak in a cup ;D

This is an ice cream desert we have used, containg peppermint crisp, flake and cherry ripes. It does take a while to make but is quiet easy

1) Line a bar tin with foil
2) Seperate vanilla ice cream into 3 equal portions (keep two in the frezzer covered)
3) Mix one portion of soften ice chopped cherry ripe and red food colouring.
4) Pour in tin and place in frezzer to set (doesn't have to be hard, firm is ok)
5) Mix 2nd portion with flake
6) Repeat step 4
7) Mix final portion of ice cream with peppermint crisp and green food colouring
8) Cover completley in foil until hard. Take out of tin and serve

•  

rosinstraya

Sounds like a type of Viennetta, Gypsy. Maybe you could flog the recipe to Streets/Wall's etc.
Then they could start you on Magnums - the queen of ice creams!
[table][tr][td]

[/td][td]

[/td][/tr][/table]
  •