Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

dental issues

Started by wallflowerXo, January 05, 2015, 10:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wallflowerXo

hi all

Sooooo first off im from south of the sydney area in australia, so anyone who has any similar experiences from my areaor australia in general, id be really interested to know how you might have dealt with them, but i'm really not sure what i'm expecting,  i need to vent a little/ask a few questions, and the health section of the message board seemed like an appropriate place. So the problem is that i have to get some dental work done over the next few months,my first appointment is tomorrow, but i am terrified of being in the chair, the amount of anxiety that i feel, i literally cannot put into words, it keeps me awake for days on end.

ideally id like to be unconscious for any and all dental procedures, i mean why are animals given that courtesy, but im not? lol but is that something that dentists do? because i honestly, and truthfully feel like im gonna have a heart attack right now... and its not to do with the dentists themselves, every dentist ive met has been a super nice person, but i just cant do it any more i'm terrified...  :embarrassed: :'(

I've been reading up on the sedation dentistry options, and i was wondering what people thought of these? like the laughing gas, the Oral Pills or the IV, how 'affordable' are they i dont mind laying down an extra $200 or so if it saves me the heartache, cause i'll just eat soup and be broke for 2 weeks out of every month lol
  •  

JackBNimbul

Hey, Wallflower.  I can understand your anxiety about visiting the dentist.  As far as animals being anesthetized...its because you can't reason with them to stop them from flailing around and hurting themselves.  Any time you are put under for a procedure, there are a lot of risks associated with it.  It is possible for you to aspirate (inhale fluids) or have adverse reactions to anesthesia.  Dentists avoid rendering patient's unconscious if at all avoidable due to these complications.

Often with children or patients with severe anxiety, they administer a sedative.  It makes it so you can't move very much.  There are still risks with aspiration and complications, but not as much as unconsciousness.  After the procedure (sometimes before), they administer a second medication that has the effect of a retrograde amnesia.  Meaning you forget whatever happened during the procedure.  I personally HATE this option.  Knowing I would be unable to move and then have my memory wiped...is terrifying for me.  But some people find this preferable to full anesthesia or full consciousness.
  •