News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Happy transgender movies?

Started by Ara, January 07, 2015, 05:58:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ara

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for movies with transgender characters that have happy endings and are generally good.  Particularly any that have romantic themes.

I know Romeos is good.  It's about an FTM guy who is attracted to men.  It gets pretty heavy at some points but I really enjoyed it.

I also know TransAmerica, an MTF woman discovers she has a biological son and she travels across America to help him. 

Other than that I don't really know any movies that are happy and involve transgender people, especially any that let us be romantic interests.  Maybe they don't exist yet, I know that LGB movies are only now starting to take off.
Anyway, I hope you've got some good recommendations :-)
Reading list:
1.  Whipping Girl
2.  Transfeminist Perspectives
3.  ?????

•  

Amy85

I heard a new movie just made the rounds in some festivals called Boy Meets Girl. Features a transwoman actress and character in a romantic movie... has promise?
  •  

Menoimagination

The movie "different for girls" is quite good, considering it is about 10 years old. I watched it the other day and I really enjoyed it and there were some rather sweet parts.
Started T: 22/03/16
  •  

Kylie

The movie Ma Vie En Rose was the first film I ever saw that dealt with transgender issues (1997). It is quite odd, but critics loved it, and if I remember correctly, I think it had a happy ending.  It was about a MtF kid though, so no romance.  I just remember being shocked and happy that someone made a film about some of our issues.
  •  

Lady Smith

Quote from: Kylie on April 04, 2015, 11:34:20 PM
The movie Ma Vie En Rose was the first film I ever saw that dealt with transgender issues (1997). It is quite odd, but critics loved it, and if I remember correctly, I think it had a happy ending.  It was about a MtF kid though, so no romance.  I just remember being shocked and happy that someone made a film about some of our issues.

I thought Ma Vie En Rose was delightful, - unfortunately it also showed me how badly my French has degraded with the passing of time.
  •  

rachel89

almost anything but "Boys Don't Cry" (really, really scary if you are a transsexual living in rural Americ, like me, athough Indiana seems pretty nice compared to Nebraska) or "Girl like me: The Gwen Arujo Story." Transamerica  isn't depressing, but it's not my favorite movie either.

•  

SmartAlex

"Tomboy" is a really good movie, a bit sad but not that much.
The main character is 9 or 10 years old
Oh and I'm not really smart btw, "Smart Alex" is a song from The Adicts ^_^
  •  

Jake25

I'm sure I'll like Romeos. Thanks for the recommendation.

The only trans movies I've seen are Mrs. Doubtfire, and To Wong Foo Thanks for everything.
  •  

Miharu Barbie

I saw the movie "Boy Meets Girl" last weekend.  (Super kudos to Netflix for putting it on streaming video!)

The entire movie revolves around the romantic interests of a young trans woman in rural middle America.  The lead role is played by trans actress Michelle Hendley in her first role.

On the Netflix rating scale of 0 to 5 stars, I gave this one a 4.  It is very sweet, totally uplifting, and comes with a happy ending.  I highly recommend it.

Check it out on Netflix streaming video.
Free your mind and your arse will follow

HRT:                         June 1998
Full Time For Good:     November 1998
Never Looking Back:  Now!
  •  

Kiera85

I watched Boy Meets Girl on Netflix on Friday. I found it really beautiful.
  •  

Andre87

It's not TG but in Korean Drama "Secret garden" characters switched bodies..they act like they're "trapped in wrong body"...
https://youtu.be/ny8za_YTykQ?t=25m27s
Every man is a star whose light can make shadows dance differently and change our view of landscape permanently***
  •  

Lady Smith

I've just watched  20 Centímetros (2005) which is an unusual but delightful Spanish movie with English subtitles about a transgender woman who suffers from narcolepsy.
  •  

Rejennyrated

The only movie I have ever watched and identified with to some extent was XXY. That movie, though sad, I could identify with to some extent, and it felt real.

The rest all leave me either wanting to throw something or throw up something.
  •  

Lady Smith

XXY left a deep impression on me too Jenny.
  •  

Jessirules

There is a new one coming out in two weeks I think it's called what a shame about Ralph

Jessi

•  

SheaEllen

There is a really beautiful documentary about transgender women and men in the roller derby community - including the story of brave and amazing young trans girl named Crystal. The film is called, "In the Turn". It's on the festival circuit currently, but should be readily available soon. Here is the trailer (get ready for some potential tears and warm feelings):

•  

Lilian J

+1 for "Boy meets Girl" the movie . First romance movie I have ever related to.

Also check out the UK TV Series "Boy meets Girl" . 6 episodes and another great story.
  •  

♥ Dutchess

Another +1 for "Boy Meets Girl"
I thought it was an adorable movie, it didn't have this SUPER sad story and I personally felt drawn to the main
character.

I don't think I saw anyone mention "Gun Hill Road"
That was a great movie, it had a couple of sad moments, but it wasn't anything near "Boys Don't Cry." I'd say it's a notch up from Boy Meets Girl.
We're beautiful, like diamonds in the sky
  •  

LizK

I took my wife to see the premiere of "The Danish Girl" .I found it an incredibly moving film. Lily Ebe was the first ever Transsexual to attemp SRS.  Her. wife was incerdibly supportive, although the ultimate outcome was very sad, she did get to have a short period of absolute happiness....

Liz
Transition Begun 25 September 2015
HRT since 17 May 2016,
Fulltime from 8 March 2017,
GCS 4 December 2018
Voice Surgery 01 February 2019
  •  

Roses and Songs

The happiest of the happy, just a feel good sweet thing.

•