Susan's Place Logo

News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Disagreement

Started by Randommaturetransgirl, January 08, 2015, 02:55:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Randommaturetransgirl

I came out to my mum and she is supportive but she thinks i am confused because i have never acted girly and would feel uncomfortable in girls clothing but that isnt true so i might just wait for us to see the therapist.
  •  

Susan

Tell her that you would welcome the opportunity to talk to a counselor.
Susan Larson
Founder
Susan's Place Transgender Resources

Help support this website and our community by Donating or Subscribing!
  •  

Ms Grace

...and the opportunity to wear girls clothes!

It's weird how parents contextualise their memory of their children's behaviour. When I first tried transition many years ago I was about 23 when I told my mother and she certainly laid the "you've never been that way" line in me. When I decided to transition this time and told her she said "yes, you have always been that way"...??!
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

stephaniec

Quote from: Ms Grace on January 08, 2015, 03:18:16 PM
...and the opportunity to wear girls clothes!

It's weird how parents contextualise their memory of their children's behaviour. When I first tried transition many years ago I was about 23 when I told my mother and she certainly laid the "you've never been that way" line in me. When I decided to transition this time and told her she said "yes, you have always been that way"...??!
makes sense
  •  

suzifrommd

Wouldn't hurt to try to educate your mom. "Not all transgender people act girly" is a truth that few people know (even among our own ranks). If you challenge her assumptions often enough (calmly and without emotional charge), she may be motivated to do some of her own research.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

ChiGirl

I'm not very girly but I'm Trans!  I think if I had been a GG I would have been a bit of a tomboy.  But only a bit.  I still wanted to be Wonder Woman!
  •  

Rudy King

FYI: I'm IS.

Aw stereotypes, got to love them.  I've known GG's who have never acted "girly".  Personally I've acted kinda girly most of my life, but I was kinda oblivious.  Besides, I'm more of a tomboy.

Anyways, just tell your mom that not everyone who comes out as trans, has acted "girly".  Besides, how would she know if you would be uncomfortable in girls clothes.  Boys clothes are so, blah. 

Best of luck!
  •