Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Is passing simply impossible for a few?

Started by lemons, January 09, 2015, 07:45:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

noeleena

Hi,

What would you rather be accepted for who you are as a person and be involved with day to day life a member of many groups of over 1500 people on commites in charge of detail with the groups  and be known and know all those around you ,
OR......

be the most pretty looking woman and not be accepted for who you are , because you are afraid of who you are with no confidence in who you are no  self worth and no selfassurance and hide away because you are unsure of your self ,  yet you are pretty looking ,

you know some of us females  yeap im one of them and sure not pretty looking let alone sexy do i even look like a female  wellllllll.........???? not really  yet ,

Im one very   strong woman very confident in who she is and know who i am  so how do i show im pretty how do i give of my self to others what do i need to do to be counted as a female  ,

ya ya okay woman by empyting my self to others in a way i show my beauty form who i am as a person my makeup and what makes me that person who people wont to have around with them ,  so would you say my looks or lack of have any bearing or make any difference to how people treat me or  are they just playing myself along ,  Im incharge of people who work for me and they will again and others do all  the time  ,

So my thinking is acceptance is far better than my looks im just a female whos a bit more masculine in her facial features and really so what no one cares,

You said about FFS  im not against it just for myself its not worth any thing to me and no not going to happen ,
I need confidence in who i am and in my self for who ,,,I,,,,am,, not change how i look , just another way of looking at it ,

...noeleena...
Hi. from New Zealand, Im a woman of difference & intersex who is living life to the full.   we have 3 grown up kids and 11 grand kid's 6 boy's & 5 girl's,
Jos and i are still friends and  is very happy with her new life with someone.
  •  

lemons

Quote from: Carrie Liz on January 15, 2015, 01:43:13 AM
Stuff

My biggest concern with passing is my head size.  It's very large.  I have other large features, but they aren't as obvious and are easier to hide on my body.  I suppose that's reassuring hearing that, I do look very young and I've had instances at work where simply raising my voice up would get me correctly gendered, even if it was far and few between instances.  I definitely still don't pass well, but upon having an FFS consult I was told my head wasn't that big and it was more the shape of my head being long and square which could be helped with FFS procedures.  My consult was pretty optimistic and it was with Spiegel who doesn't sugarcoat and it's pretty blunt with what he can do, so I guess that's good...

I mean I have noticed most people can pass after enough time or enough surgery or whatever, so I guess it's not impossible for me as I might think?
  •  

Jill F

I have a size 8 melon.  I pass even without surgery.  Attitude is 90% of what got me here.
  •  

anjaq

In the end it is: Change what you can change and the rest has to be taken as it is, with attitude and with not making a big matter out of it. What else is there - what other options? Not transition? Is that even possible if one is a woman but has a virilized body?

•  

lemons

Quote from: Carrie Liz on January 15, 2015, 01:43:13 AM
I have met a few trans women at my local support groups that I genuinely don't think could pass as cis regardless of surgeries, but it is VERY VERY rare, is especially uncommon in anyone who transitions while they still have youthful androgynous features, (trust me, you do,) and it generally only happens to people with multiple features that are so glaringly masculine that they immediately say "went through a male puberty" no matter what else they do to try and make up for it. And trust me, you are NOT one of those people. From your pictures, your body is VERY feminine, and your face is generally very cute, young, and andro looking.

You mentioned passing with short hair...yeah I am growing it out.  But it's funny, at work I've been gendered correctly maybe a few dozen times with short hair by customers here and there, so maybe I'm not so screwed.
People seem to think I'll be ok but the fact that I'm gendered male 100% of the time when I'm dressed andro isn't very encouraging.  I wish my body was as feminine as it might look in pictures...it's a matter of wearing the right clothes and even then I have small hips and square shoulders and a wide chest.  It's good to know that that is very rare, as I have seen most people who have transitioned seem to pass after a while or after certain surgeries.  What would multiple glaringly masculine features be?  I feel like I have all of them with a wide ribcage, my shoulders, hands, feet, big head, etc. 
  •  

Carrie Liz

Quote from: lemons on January 21, 2015, 09:33:43 AM
You mentioned passing with short hair...yeah I am growing it out.  But it's funny, at work I've been gendered correctly maybe a few dozen times with short hair by customers here and there, so maybe I'm not so screwed.
People seem to think I'll be ok but the fact that I'm gendered male 100% of the time when I'm dressed andro isn't very encouraging.  I wish my body was as feminine as it might look in pictures...it's a matter of wearing the right clothes and even then I have small hips and square shoulders and a wide chest.  It's good to know that that is very rare, as I have seen most people who have transitioned seem to pass after a while or after certain surgeries.  What would multiple glaringly masculine features be?  I feel like I have all of them with a wide ribcage, my shoulders, hands, feet, big head, etc.

Join the club. Passing in androgynous clothes is also not often a luxury that a lot of us have. (Trust me, I wish it was, because being forced to conform to gender stereotypes just to be gendered female sucks, but it's just something that a lot of us have to do in order to pass consistently, due to the circumstances of our bodies.) I still get stared at when I wear androgynous clothes, presumably because people can't figure out what sex I am. And passing in a combination of androgynous clothes and short hair? Forget it. Not unless your body and face are both COMPLETELY blatantly female. Hell, there's even a lot of cis-women who get misgendered when they're wearing androgynous clothes and short hair.

And to answer the second question, no, I'm sorry, but no you don't have "glaringly masculine" features. When I say "glaringly masculine," I'm usually talking about people who are very tall, (5'11" and up,) VERY stocky and large-built, with lots of masculine facial features like a big chin and very prominent brow bossing, and who also didn't get very much feminization from HRT to help with skin texture and body shape. And again, I just do not see those things on you. To my eyes, you have a more or less completely-androgynous face, and a more or less completely androgynous body. NOTHING on you is blatantly-masculine in the way that I spoke of, where people would still read it as "male" regardless of anything else.

Having read the following study, "Gender: An Ethnomethodological Approach," which actually looked into exactly what it took for certain figures to be perceived as male or female, the only consistent way for a figure to be perceived as female is to have almost a complete absence of "male" cues. Basically this study took the same non-gender-specific face and body, and then added "male" or "female" cues to it. It took FOUR female cues on average to overcome any single "male" cue and reach a female gendering 95% of the time. It's kind of depressing for trans women, but it's just something that we have to deal with.

In this study, the base rate for gendering the figures in their androgynous clothed state was 69% male, 31% female. That's pretty much a good baseline right there. When you don't present an observer with any "male" or "female" cues, they're going to guess "male" by default twice as often.

Another telling thing in this study is that the cues that they intended to be "female" cues (long hair, breasts, wide hips, no body hair,) were seen by at least 55% of the participants as "male" cues, where the "male" cues (short hair, body hair, narrow hips, flat chest) were never misinterpereted as "female" more than 36% of the time. Basically, any single "male" cue is going to stand out, while people are much more able to ignore "female" cues. Just adding a penis to any of the figures in the study increased male genderings to a whopping 96%. And it took FOUR "female" cues (long hair, breasts, wide hips, and no body hair,) in order for the figure with that one single "male" gender cue to reach a point where it was gendered male/female 50% of the time. Whereas it took THREE very specific "female" gender cues, a vagina, long hair, and breasts in order to reach that same 95% rate of gendering the figure female.

The point is, "female" gender cues don't have the same power. People by default see androgynous figures as "male" more often, and when "male" cues are added, it takes on average three or four "female" ones to counteract it. And in an absence of gender cues, it took several "female" ones before participants in the study consistently gendered a figure female.

So, well, unfortunately, if you want to be gendered female consistently, you need to have some "female" cues. And since trans women don't generally have blatantly "female" body cues, we have to make up for it with things like hair and clothes. Cis women can pull off the androgynous look because they have more blatantly-female body cues which can counteract their androgynous hair and clothes. Anything completely "androgynous" on its own will tend to be interpreted as male by people about twice as often as female. With you, all I see is androgyny. Your body is androgynous, your face is androgynous, your clothes are androgynous, your haircut is androgynous, so basically the reason you're not getting gendered female is because people have NOTHING to go on, and you aren't really showing any "female" cues, so people just default to male. (And again, cis-women with androgynous bodies, short haircuts, and who wear androgynous clothes are quite often misgendered male. It happens more than you might think.)

And so you know, going back to the not-passing thing, when I say "blatantly masculine" in terms of trans women who probably won't pass, I really do mean "blatantly masculine..." Cues that other people will read as "male" no matter what else is there, and see as being in blatant conflict to the feminine parts of their body, which will therefore immediately make people question "is that a man or a woman?" And again, you don't look masculine... you look androgynous. (A lot of trans women criticize ourselves for not being "feminine," and we perceive our body features to therefore be "masculine" because they're not as feminine as cis-women, when in fact they're not "masculine," they're just androgynous... features that, when combined with other feminine features around it, would not stand out as being "male." I do the same thing with my face. I can see every single little thing in my face that isn't feminine, every feature that I have that cis-women don't. And so it's tempting to freak out about how I can't possibly be passing, people can't possibly not notice how unfeminine I look. Where in reality, they don't notice. Because when I add in my long hair, my breasts and hips, and my smooth skin, my face doesn't stand out as "male," it's just androgynous, which means that it could be viewed as male or female depending on what cues are surrounding it.) And trust me, you look WAY more androgynous than me as a default. Adding "female" cues to you, they would not contrast with any part of your body. Your build is androgynous, your face is androgynous, your body frame is androgynous.
  •  

lemons

Quote from: Carrie Liz on January 21, 2015, 02:40:03 PM

And to answer the second question, no, I'm sorry, but no you don't have "glaringly masculine" features. When I say "glaringly masculine," I'm usually talking about people who are very tall, (5'11" and up,)

I mean I am 6 feet tall... :/

But other than that, yeah I guess my overall frame is kinda andro at this point.  Leaning a bit more towards male or female depending on what clothes I'm wearing etc.
  •  

Carrie Liz

•  

lemons

Mmk, fair.

So let's say going by this study that for every major "male" cue there have to be four "female" cues to override it.
The things I worry about I am not sure if they are distinct male cues or could be written off as just "bigger female body parts"
-Bigger hands,though I've seen older woman with about my sized hands, they are thin and they aren't meaty or stubby or anything, that are 8 inches long and 3.5 inches across palm
-Size 12 shoes in womens.  Again, not unheard of, but quite rare.
-My shoulder length and circumference isn't terrible (17 inches across and 42 inches circumference) but coupled with them being square and having a wider ribcage it makes them stick out a bit, even though they're thin without any muscle on them anymore.
-Small hips in comparison to shoulders.  I figure this could be fixed with body sculpting, so I'm keeping that as an open option down the line.  My butt could also be a bit rounder and stick out more, it doesn't much for a woman...
-My HEAD size.  It's 23.7 inches around and it looks like a massive bowling ball.  I was told it's more the shape than size and that FFS could help that, so...who knows.  Still, this and ribcage/square shoulders seem to be the biggest issues.

Things working:
+Voice isn't terribly deep anymore.  With enough practice I think I'd be fine.  Not at all impossible to train in my andro male range. (some trans women I know have very low voices and thus it is very difficult to ever get into a female range....that's not me at all.  I've even been ma'med 3 or 4 times last year on the phone without trying...my resonance at this point is andro male while my inflection is very female, so just practice)
+Soft skin, some soft andro facial features
+Very thin body
+Being 6 feet, bigger body parts such as hands and feet and shoulders may seem a bit more balanced than on a shorter body?
+Thin legs and arms that read as feminine, literally almost no muscle on them lol
+Relatively thin chest all things considered, measurements are't too bad (Chest: 36, Waist: 30, Hips: 34)
+Solid B cup breasts, possibly on the verge of C
+Very clear skin
+Normal amount of body hair for a woman, (very very little) no more facial hair thanks to laser
+Full head of hair
  •  

Carrie Liz

Okay, now you're just nitpicking on things that nobody else would even notice or care about. When was the last time when, trying to see if someone was a man or a woman, you looked at their hands or feet?

(And I seriously do not know why you're so hung up on head size... I seriously just do NOT see it in the pictures you posted. And if an FFS surgeon told you that you don't have a big head, you probably don't. Okay, and since this is me talking to you, I just measured my own head... mine is freaking 25" around. And I'm NEVER gendered male by anyone, so I don't want to hear it. :P Seriously, every single topic where girls are posting about how they're so scared about their head being too big, or their shoulders too wide, or their ribcage too big, I just roll my eyes, because my measurements are WAY worse and yet I still pass.)

Think in generals. In general, how feminine/masculine are your hair, face, body frame, and secondary sexual characteristics.

Looking at yourself, are there really any features that stand out as blatantly "male?" (Not "I'm looking at women and comparing myself to them and my ___ is different than theirs.") No, I mean features that when you look at them, they appear to be "male" features.

From your list, I'd narrow it down to the following:

"Masculine" features that probably tip the scale toward people gendering you male:
-Higher shoulder-to-hip ratio. (And there are plenty of cis-women who are inverted-triangle shapes... don't let yourself feel like this dooms you or anything.)
-"Larger" features in general (including head, chest, hands, feet, etc. in this. They're all one package, and all in combination are a balanced thing that shows that you were probably exposed to higher levels of androgens.)

"Androgynous" features that more or less don't give people any gender-specific clues:
-Hair style
-Voice (if you're getting gendered a combination of male/female on the phone, it's in this range.)
-Facial features
-Body fat distribution (to my eyes, and based on the numbers you gave, you don't have either a more masculine apple/inverted-triangle fat distribution, or a more feminine pear/hourglass fat distribution, you seem to be in the androgynous "banana/straight" category which either sex could have.)

"Feminine" features that probably tip the scale toward people gendering you female:
-No body hair / facial hair
-Soft skin
-Boobs
-Lack of muscle
-Thick head of hair with no recession

With this list, I think you can probably see why when you add something else "masculine" to the equation, you're probably going to get read as male, while adding something "feminine" to the equation like clothes or hair would be right at the point where it would cancel out the "masculine" features and probably get you read as female.

And again, sheesh, quit beating yourself up. I have WAY more masculine measurements than a lot of people on this site, and yet I'm still able to pass. There's not some magic number in terms of height or head circumference or shoulder measurements that once you cross that arbitrary magic number it's impossible to pass. It's all about the harmony of the whole package.

Again, the people I'm talking about who probably couldn't pass, are those who have like 4 or 5 blatantly "male" features that are competing with their feminine ones... people who are tall AND large-built AND have "masculine" faces AND have larger features AND have "masculine" shoulder-hip ratios. That's just more things than any amount of feminine features can overcome. Where usually cis-women can get away with "male" haircuts and even "male" shoulder-hip ratios because on them it's the only part of their bodies that are "masculine." You and me (and probably most of the trans-women on this site) are somewhere between these two extremes, where we have a few "masculine" features, but not enough that we can't balance them out and achieve harmony as a whole presentation if we add enough "feminine" features. (Or get surgery to either remove one of the "masculine" features from the equation or add another "feminine" feature.)
  •  

TamarasWay

I think your voice is your greatest tell.  Too many T-girls "walk like a woman, talk like a man".  I mean you can do things right, or why do them at all?
  •  

Obfuskatie

Lemons, like many other transwomen and some women, you have what's called the Inverted Triangle body type.  There are styles, collar types, and hem-lengths that will naturally flatter your figure.  Wear them.

You really aren't as far as you think from being called Miss 95% of the time.  And don't worry about your size, your body is proportionate to your height.  There are women taller than you, with bigger feet.  Get your nails done, your hair colored and styled, and wear clothes that give inverted triangles an hourglass figure, and wear a purse.  You're really not as far away from looking good.

Be careful attributing body dysmorphia to gender dysphoria.  Body dysmorphia untreated, leads to an addiction to plastic surgery.  Gender Identity Disorder can often include body dysmorphia as part of it, as transpeople tend to feel like their bodies betrayed them.  But you are stuck with your body.  Be happy you can transform it some, but learn to adjust your expectations to give yourself a break from your own harsh criticisms.  The goal is to be happy at the end, not an ideal bastion of femininity.

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

Obfuskatie

Quote from: TamarasWay on January 21, 2015, 07:21:28 PM
I think your voice is your greatest tell.  Too many T-girls "walk like a woman, talk like a man".  I mean you can do things right, or why do them at all?
Eh, I know a lot of women that talk like guys.  Albeit they don't have super low voices, but their intonation and pitch aren't always feminine.  As long as you don't sound like Dr. Girlfriend from Venture Brothers, you'll be fine once you figure out feminine style/fashion/accessories.  If you do sound like her, stop chain-smoking and pounding whiskey, it's super bad for you.[emoji135]

If people are what they eat, I really need to stop eating such neurotic food  :icon_shakefist:
  •  

misty2

Hi Lemons,

Andrea James wrote about the three critical areas of passing over a decade ago, I believe they are still true today.

1. Face (solved with FFS + Hormones)
2. Beard (solved with Laser + Hormones)
3. Voice (solved, best, in my opinion with VFS.)

FFS, VFS, Hormones and beard removal will allow 95% of those undergoing those procedures to pass. Perhaps even 98% to 99% (Add SRS and "pass" naked.)

Hands, feet, waist to hip ration, breast size, height are all distractions (have little effect on passing or getting clocked) to the primary goal. The only time these things (big hands for example) will be mentioned is when the person, who brings up big hands as an issue, already knows the person is trans. either because the transperson reveals it openly or because the transperson was clocked due to shortcomings in beard removal, voice correction or masculine facial features.

I will personally add that having your natural hair rather relying on a wig is helpful. But, still, is not one of the "core" items.

Kind Regards,

Danielle
  •