Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Sewing a bra

Started by Rosemary, January 21, 2015, 10:50:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rosemary

I'm a newbie sewer, would this be too ambitious, I've found various sites, including this one: http://www.makebra.com/instructions/sewing-4800-bras/ . Any advice appreciated.
Trying to hide my girliness less every day.
  •  

BlonT

Best advice is read and make bra,s with "cheap" materials, to get the feeling of sewing.
Biggest problem is as with any sewing if something does not fit or look good how to solve it.
i would start with a skirt, then a dress or blouse with arms if that works out start your bra :)
As always take GOOD measurements ! Better let some friend do it.And make your own pattern as there are some basic differences between male/female shapes.Thus purchased patterns are not ideal for this reason.Remember practice make perfect :angel:
  •  

Rosemary

OK, I'll start thinking about a skirt then. Thanks.
  •  

Mai

if you are brand new to sewing, i would definately try some less complicated clothing items first.  a bra might be a bit much if you arent that experienced.  i consider myself to be a amateur at sewing, ive made a few basic clothing items, and ended up attempting to sew a bra myself, but didnt have appropriate materials at the time, i just wanted to see if i could do it.  and it was alot more complicated than i originally thought it would be, even for a basic one.
  •  

Rosemary

Quote from: Mai on January 22, 2015, 03:13:40 PM
if you are brand new to sewing, i would definately try some less complicated clothing items first.  a bra might be a bit much if you arent that experienced.  i consider myself to be a amateur at sewing, ive made a few basic clothing items, and ended up attempting to sew a bra myself, but didnt have appropriate materials at the time, i just wanted to see if i could do it.  and it was alot more complicated than i originally thought it would be, even for a basic one.
Yeah, maybe I need to go slower, What did you start with?
  •  

BlonT

I started with pants, result i never finished them ! then skirts ,then zippers in them.Added linning.
then  started with panties, this is good as the finishing and materials are the one you use for all lingerie.
Making a model first from a cheap material is a good idea to see if all fit ,especially if you need to adapt or make your own pattern.snap closures are a cheap and fast way to try out things.
Remember practice makes perfect , and the one who say i never made a mistake is lying  >:-)
  •  

Mai

well, i started off with simple stuff when i was younger, pillows and cushins, cloth dolls, etc.  but had not sewn in a long time since then.  spent alot more time doing embroydery.  but couple years ago started off running.  was working on a long term project that is still in progress, working on a cosplay/holoween outfit, and just slowly worked on it in parts.  pants are definately something that is good to start with if your looking at outfits.   shirts.  sleeves can be a pain, till you get some practice with them. 

i started outfits off, by taking some of my old clothes i didnt wear and seeing how they were made. taking them apart and seeing if i could put them back together.
  •  

DriftingCrow

Craftsy has some good courses, check out the bra sewing one.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

CaptFido87

this looks really fun. It might be time to bust out the sewing machine again. I used to be quite good at sewing back in the day. I love embroidery too. I haven't done anything fun in a long time. I think I just found my new girly habit.
Hi I'm Marty. I'm a MTF Transgender who wants nothing more than to finally let Samantha (Sammi) come out and play.

As of: 03/07/2015
  •  

Kaydee

If you are just getting started I'd suggest a skirt with elastic waistband.  This would require very little knowledge about sewing and its easy to find tutorials online.  Get yourself some cheap material, matching thread and enough elastic to go around your waist and go to it.   When you get it looking the way you want then get some nice material and do it over again.  That way you can learn from your mistakes without wasting the expensive material.  Some lightweight or slippery materials are harder to work with, so you might want to consider cotton if you are just learning to sew.
Aimee

•  

Rosemary

Thanks for all the advice, I really want to let loose my inner seamstress...
  •  

Amy Chislett

I have started out using saran wrap in making underwear, my first recent project, to see how my body is contoured and to see how the fabric covers it best.  .02
HrbHRT 21Jun2016
mtf hetero
  •