Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Sex Change Regrets

Started by regina, August 21, 2007, 10:05:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Butterfly

I've watched this video in the past.  He tried to put down his surgeon until the very end of the documentary I watched.  If someone expects that surgery puts on the Ritz for themselves, they have another thing coming.  The way I see it, he knew what he was getting into, all he has to do now is to put that in his pipe and smoke it!  He's just a very mad individual who needs mental help quickly.
  •  

AlwaysLauren

I agree with what space_kat said, that it is a good thing to hear from someone who made the wrong decision. I started to write something about how huge a deal transitioning was, and how it has to be made with care, and realized that most of you know that far better than I do. I'll try to say what I'm thinking without making a fool of myself.

As someone about to open the door on my transition (knock on wood) I made a point of going out to look for stories like this. I have doubts, as I'm sure everyone does, and I think it can be a very good thing to see the consequences of inadequate screening/therapy/whatever. That being said, most of what I found is like this video: a piece that seems to be aimed at a crowd that wants to hear that a mtf transsexual can never be a real man, or never be a real woman, instead of holding this man up as an example of why there should be many procedures, double-checking and safeguards in place. Many accounts are aimed at religious groups, which can make things even more hurtful.

This is probably opening up a different can of worms, but things like this are why I feel uncomfortable reading about programs starting children on hormones at a very young age (pre-teens). I would have benefited immensely, as I'm sure many of you would have, but I think the decision is so critical that I'm not sure a child can really be trusted to make it. I realize some of the treatments aren't permanent, they simply postpone puberty and give the person more time to decide, but in any case, I think it's a valid comparison to the video.

From a purely emotional perspective, seeing someone transition for the wrong reasons and be so passable/beautiful while many people with the best of reasons are never so lucky makes my heart ache at unfairness of it all.

Sorry for the long post, I post often, so I tend to be verbose when I do.
  •  

jonnismith

To me, all it is is religious propaganda! CBC News. Isn't that a Christian Broadcasting Network? Too bad that this person doesn't realize that he is being manipulated by the right wing media to support their "Agenda".
  •  

tinkerbell

Quote from: space_kat on August 22, 2007, 11:22:26 PM
-Lala :icon_chick:

:icon_wave:  :)  I greatly miss your perspective on many topics around here.  I hope that your post count increases to more than two.  :icon_hug:

La unica Tink :icon_chick:
  •  

Nero

Quote from: Tink on August 23, 2007, 08:50:51 PM
Quote from: space_kat on August 22, 2007, 11:22:26 PM
-Lala :icon_chick:

:icon_wave:  :)  I greatly miss your perspective on many topics around here.  I hope that your post count increases to more than two.  :icon_hug:

La unica Tink :icon_chick:

agreed. You were a life force around here. Really miss your outspokenness and strong opinions.  :icon_hug:
Show your face around here more often. :)
Nero was the Forum Admin here at Susan's Place for several years up to the time of his death.
  •  

Suzy

Quote from: regina on August 23, 2007, 10:29:38 PM
Quote from: Jonni on August 23, 2007, 08:46:59 PM
To me, all it is is religious propaganda! CBC News. Isn't that a Christian Broadcasting Network? Too bad that this person doesn't realize that he is being manipulated by the right wing media to support their "Agenda".

It's Canadian Broadcasting Corporation. I think he's capable of doing his own self-delusions without the help of born-again types. He made some very painful choices in his life that he, unfortunately, doesn't want to take responsibility for. Lots of us do that in our lives. As has been mentioned, what makes him hard to listen to is how he blames people who were trying to help him and who did nothing wrong other than listen to what he was telling them.
ciao,
Gina M.

You beat me to it, Gina.  This story notwithstanding, CBC is anything but right wing.

Kristi
  •  

Dennis

Yeah, usually CBC puts on good, balanced stuff. It's certainly not right wing. This "documentary" is an exception to their usual good coverage.

Dennis
  •  

Yvonne

QuoteRe: Sex Change Regrets

::)   Mental case!
  •  

candifla

I wish I had not seen the video. I'm so pissed right now, I won't be able to sleep for a while.

I wish someone puts a bullet through his head.

Let's just sue the waiter for serving me food even though I'm 400 pounds. The waiter should of known better.

Freakin' moron.
  •  

Steph

This whole situation is a sad commentary on the way that the press grabs issues such as these and sensationalizes them.  There are several side to all stories yet in this particular case they chose only to report one side.  There are several parts missing that if known would probably reveal the true issues surrounding this case.

One key question that needs to be asked is what support system did this person have?  Was this person in therapy and if so how did this person "Slip though the cracks"?  Did this person have a support system in place?  Etc.  It is easy for folks to tell the therapist what they want to hear, all one would need to do is to research boards such as this one and they could get a very clear idea about what a therapist needs to know in order for them to provide a diagnosis.

This puts the therapist in a very precarious position, for if they are not competent in gender issues misdiagnosis, as in this case, could easily occur.  This a very good example of why it is so important for those who feel that they have "Gender" issues, to seek competent therapy.  While there are many who think that they are a "Woman trapped in a man's body", there may be significant underlying issues that may reveal or point towards other conditions that would preclude a diagnosis of GID.

There is no doubt that the mind is a very powerful entity but at times it is easily manipulated, swayed, convinced that black is actually white, white is black, I am the lord reincarnate, I am the chosen one etc.  (You get my drift).  This tragic situation should reinforce to all those who are "questioning their gender" need to seek competent help.

Often in our zeal to be "Who we know we are" many often push forward with the notion that "I know what's best for me" and being fallible beings, we clearly know that this is not always the case.  One needs only to look at the bad habits that we develop over time sure we know what's best but we still do them.

I was no different.  Who are they to tell me what or what I'm not, it's my life to live as I think or want it to be.  If we are honest with ourselves we would agree that professional help should be sought when considering the notion of gender change.

That being said, we all have to take responsibility for our actions.  This person was obviously reckless in making the ones they did, and now expects compensation.  She was also under the notion that SRS/GRS would cure her.  I'm afraid not, the surgery does not cure us it simply makes our bodies more congruent with our minds.  GID is incurable.

Yep it's too bad these things get reported and make the front page or get TV coverage, but it should reinforce the need to educate all those concerned and Susan's is one place for that.

Steph
  •  

Fer

Someone who lacks a sense of responsibility & cannot accept his errors.  It wouldnt surprise me if he had circumvented the system to have genital reconstruction.  What a toad!
The laws of God, the laws of man, He may keep that will and can; Not I. Let God and man decree Laws for themselves and not for me; And if my ways are not as theirs Let them mind their own affairs. - A. E. Housman
  •  

Sheila

I don't think that this person should win at all. He obviously falsified who he was, whether it was intentionally or not. I have known two people who have regretted the surgery. I know for one that he did it because of the group he hung around. I guess he liked the transexual lifestyle and wanted to fit in. He went through all the steps, knew what to say, was very good looking and he fooled them all. Well, the joke was on him. It took a few years and he finally confessed to himself. The crowd went their own way and he was not part of the group anymore. Sadly he had irreversible surgery. He went off to some place back east (US) to live as a man again.
Sheila
  •