Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

How would I convert to Islam,and is it accepting of us?

Started by Makenzie, February 16, 2015, 08:15:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Makenzie

•  

StrykerXIII

I don't quite understand conversion, but as far as tolerance, this is what I could find:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mukhannathun

It seems to state, in my interpretation, that so long as you pray, you will be tolerated, but not necessarily accepted. But again, that's simply my interpretation...I don't understand Islam and probably never will. Some of the concepts seem incomprehensible to me.
To strive to reach the apex of evolution is folly, for to achieve the pinnacle is to birth a god.

When the Stryker fires, all turn to dust in its wake.
  •  

Jo-is-amazing

My interpretation at least on the Wikipedia article is that trans* woman are accepted whereas those who do so for fun eg drag queens are not, also, keep in mind that while Iran is actually very fair in its treatment of trans women in particular e.g. State funded transition.  it is not as kind to trans men.
I am the self proclaimed Queen of procrastination
  •  

Ms Grace

The degree of acceptance probably depend on which country you are in.
Grace
----------------------------------------------
Transition 1.0 (Julie): HRT 1989-91
Self-denial: 1991-2013
Transition 2.0 (Grace): HRT June 24 2013
Full-time: March 24, 2014 :D
  •  

jessical

With no mosque near you I think that would be difficult.  Putting transgender aside, a cornerstone of any religion is community, and that is often found at a Church, Temple or Mosque.  But I am not muslim, and maybe there are ways.
  •  

Makenzie

•  

DriftingCrow

This website has live chat with people knowledgeable about Islam, you can ask them about being trans there, although like others said above, an Iranian fatwa stated that medically transitioning is okay as a cure for homosexuality. Just remember, Iran is shia'a and Sunni's don't follow the same fatwas.

To convent, you only need to recite the shahada (La ilah illa Allah, Muhammad rasoolu Allah -- There is no God but God and Muhammad is his Prophet). This is usually done in front of other Muslims, however you do not need to be in the mosque to say it, and you can even say it on your own if its done with conviction.
ਮਨਿ ਜੀਤੈ ਜਗੁ ਜੀਤੁ
  •  

perrystephens

Have you tried googling "mosques near me"? I live in the middle of the Bible belt and found four in my general area. And as for acceptance, just like any religion it has many interpretations, and so it all depends on who you ask.
  •  

Athena

I would think as with any religion, you will find those who support you and others who will treat you with nothing but intolerance. In my opinion faith is so much more and so much more important then going to services. I would say that you don't need anyone to tell you are Muslim it is in the way you choose to have faith.
Formally known as White Rabbit
  •