Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

A funny thing happened at the DMV

Started by Cassandra, December 21, 2005, 12:14:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cassandra

I've been meaning to post this for a few days now. As many here know I got my legal name change as of the 8th of this month. (early Christmas present). I got my decree last Wednesday and went straight over to the DMV to get my license changed.

I was standing in the line(very short one were I live) and the man behind the counter said How can I help you mam. I said I needed a new license as I had a name change. He gave me a number and when it was called I took my paperwork up to the lady behind the counter. She looked at my decree which of course had my old name and what my name was being changed to and of course my old drivers license. She was very sweet and polite and never once indicated in anyway verbally or otherwise that there was anything unusual about me or that I was anything other than the lady standing before her.

Then as she was looking at the paperwork she asked. Did I want a sex change too? I thought well yes, but since when did the DMV do GRS? I assumed she was asking if Iwas planning on getting a sex change so I just said that's the plan. Then she said oh! and laughed and said no I meant on the license, I don't see it on the decree. I said no I'm still pre-op, but if you want to change it go ahead it's fine by me. Unfortunately she couldn't do it unless it was in the decree. But, we had a good laugh over it just the same.

Cassie
  •  

Jillieann Rose

Hi Cassandra,
That's great Cassandra.
Too bad you couldn't get the sex change there too.
It would start a new trend.
I can see it now all of the TG's going to the local DMV and get there name and sex change on the same day.
Ha! Ha!
Anyway sound like you had a good day too.
;D
Jillieann
  •  

Terri-Gene

Dunno Cassie. many states, like here in California do change the sex marker on the drivers licence for you if you have a form they give for that signed off by your Psychologist/psychiatrest.  It does not actually change your legal sexual standing, but the licence is under your new name and gender.  It doesn't legally change your sex, but the sex is changed for anyone looking at it, like when you use a credit card or have to identify yourself etc.  Even a patrol officer who checks your licence isn't aware of the reality.  The license is crossed referrenced with your old record and only DMV supervisors can access the original.  Like I said though, It is not a legal standing in a court of law, but generally holds good anywhere you have to show identification.

The only identification I have at all that shows me as male is my birth certificate and the gender on that can't be changed without a court order after showing a letter from the surgeon confirming the surgical change  The name change on SSA card does not show gender on the card, only name and number,, though here in California I could in effect get a court order for the change due to the other proceedures I've had  It's been done before but when I get it done it will be for the full fact.

The only drawback for those thinking about it but not a medically supervised TS, is that they confiscate your old license and it is no good anyway because it is in the old name.  So if you do it you are female to anyone/everyone looking at the licence.

I don't know the satus of all states, but Leigh could tell you about yours, this topic has come up enough over the years and a gender change on DL is no great or hard matter if you have the backup of a qualified therapyst.  I know all I had to do was present the paper work, take a new picture and it was all done in 10min with no complications or fuss of any kind.  the hardest part of the proceedure was that the Supervisor told the clerk not to charge me for the new licence and they had to look up the code for not accepting money.  SSA was simular but again, no gender change is possible unless you have the documentory evidence of the change, but they change the name without question if you have id in your old name and in your new name.  again, in my case, SSA was completed in a matter of minutes with no problems what so ever.  It was all so easy that without my BC I couldn't prove I was born male other then to drop my drawers.  I am classified as a professional Driver at work and even my work records record me as female, but they have full knowledge I am Transsexual in actual bearing, but then, aside from my employer they are also my insurance provider and have paid for virtually all of it other then electro etc....

Terri
  •  

Dennis

There seems to be a prevailing myth about "legal status". Your legal status only relates to what statute you are trying to apply to yourself. So, legally, you could be simultaneously male and female, simultaneously married, common law, and separated. What matters is the individual statute that you are trying to get relief under.

Dennis
  •  

stephanie_craxford

I had a similar experience here in Ontario.  The clerk did ask me if I wanted to change the gender marker on the licence, but I declined as I'm not sure how local and provicial police forces would react as i don't have any other documents from medical or therapists who are providing me with support.

Personally no big deal, my picture and name reflect Stephanie.  It's funny, where DMV would have changed the marker, when I went to get my Ontario Health card, they would not.  Two Provicial offices two different policies...

Steph
  •  

Dennis

I still have a bit of a mixed bag of documents. I can't change my British birth certificate until I've been living as male for two years, so that still says female. My only passport is a British one, so that still says female. All of the rest of my documents say male and I can't get a Canadian passport until they finish processing my citizenship card.

So, for day to day purposes I'm male. If I choose to travel, I'll have to do so as female. Aggravating.

I think I'd have taken the DMV offer to change gender on the licence, Steph. That's the piece of ID you use most often and it would be handy to have it match your presentation. There's no legal requirement in Canada to have the gender match on all your ID, so you'd be safe with it, from a legal perspective.

Dennis
  •  

stephanie_craxford

Quote from: Dennis on December 21, 2005, 01:29:39 PM

I think I'd have taken the DMV offer to change gender on the licence, Steph. That's the piece of ID you use most often and it would be handy to have it match your presentation. There's no legal requirement in Canada to have the gender match on all your ID, so you'd be safe with it, from a legal perspective.

Dennis

Darn it I should have know.

Steph
  •  

Sheila

I know I had it real easy with all of my documents. I had all mine changed before surgery. I had my drivers license changed the same day my name was officially changed. I had all my paper work in hand to get my marker changed from M to F and when I got to the window I just said I wanted to change my gender from male to female. The man behind the counter said OK and did it. He never once looked at my letters or anything else I had, just the name change document from the court. I have even had my passport changed to female with only my license. I had to give him my BC, which is the only document that I still haven't changed, and I still got a passport that read Female and is good for ten years. There are only two things to date that I can think of that I haven't changed and that is my BC and my second on my home. I have even changed the first, but not the second. Just forgot about it when changing my first. Not going to bother with it. I guess I had it real easy and I'm not that good looking either. I'm 220 lbs and stand 5'10" and i'm not that fat.
Sheila
  •  

Shelley

I don't know what the DMV is like over there but if it is anything like here you wouldn't want to get SRS there as it takes half a day just to get personalised plates for you car. ::)

Shelley
  •  

Cassandra

Gee. I didn't mean for it to get all this serious. The topic was a funny thing, funny being the operative word. Lots of good info though. But seriously folks stop taking it so seriously.  ;D ;D ;D

Cassie
  •  

Sheila

Cassie, I hardly take anything seriously. I do have a dry sense of humor though. I think that life in general is funny.
Sheila
  •  

Shelley

If theres one thing that does not come across well in the written word it's that cheeky grin.

Shelley ;D
  •