Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Equality and Justice Day

Started by gennee, March 06, 2015, 11:55:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gennee

I will be attending Equality and Justice Day in Albany on April 28th. I went last year and found it to be an interesting experience. This year I will be in a couple of the work shops so I can understand more of the issues that concern transgender people.

:)
Be who you are.
Make a difference by being a difference.   :)

Blog: www.difecta.blogspot.com
  •  

gennee

I will be traveling tomorrow to Albany, New York for Equality and Justice Day. We will meet with legislators, attend workshops, and a rally on the steps of the state capitol. Daniella Carter, a rising star as a trans activist, will be the featured speaker. I attend my first EJ Day last year and found it to be interesting and eye opening. There were many youth at last year's conference and I expect more this year.

My main reason for going is to see the state of the fight for employment protections for transgender people. the Gender Employment Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA) has been on the docket for over a decade now. It should have passed the same time marriage equality was in 2010 but was conveniently forgotten, even my the mainstream LGBT organizations because everyone was caught in the euphoria of the passage of marriage equality.

I will get more information and see what I can do to help move this along.

:)
Be who you are.

•  

Dee Marshall

Please do, Gennee. I wanted to go,but it's just not economically feasible this year. My thoughts will be with you.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •  

gennee

Equality and Justice Day was a success. Over 600 people from all over came to the state capitol. The two big issues were the passage of the Gender Employment Non-Discrimination Act (GENDA) and protecting TGLBQ youth against conversion therapy. After a fine welcome from Empire State Pride Agenda, people went on visits to assembly members and state senators or to workshops. I did the latter.

In the morning workshop I listened to high school students share their stories on what it is to transgender gender variant in their respective schools. Some were harassed, bullied, or in one case, threatened. I admired their courage in doing things to change the culture in their schools. They all agreed that it was up to the school to provide a safe environment for ALL students.

After lunch, there was a rally at the steps of the capitol. At the afternoon workshop, the facilitators shared the need to create job security for TGLBQ workers in cooperatives. The decline in safe spaces for TGLBQ people was always discussed. I shared my story of transition with my table mates. I met someone who I correspond with on the forum. During the journey back our bus broke down so we had to double up in one of the other buses.

It was my second time going to Albany. I have a better of what is needed to move some bills and present transgender issues to the legislators. I will attend again next year. 

Be who you are.

•  

Dee Marshall

Thanks for the report, Gennee! Hopefully next year I'll be able to make it.
April 22, 2015, the day of my first face to face pass in gender neutral clothes and no makeup. It may be months to the next one, but I'm good with that!

Being transgender is just a phase. It hardly ever starts before conception and always ends promptly at death.

They say the light at the end of the tunnel is an oncoming train. I say, climb aboard!
  •