Susan's Place Logo

News:

Based on internal web log processing I show 3,417,511 Users made 5,324,115 Visits Accounting for 199,729,420 pageviews and 8.954.49 TB of data transfer for 2017, all on a little over $2,000 per month.

Help support this website by Donating or Subscribing! (Updated)

Main Menu

Lana Wachowski's speech at Trans 100

Started by Jboggs, April 03, 2015, 09:56:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jboggs

So, I was one of the many people that watched the Trans 100 live stream when it was on. During Lana Wachowski's speech there were people in the audience who left due what they felt her speech to have racial overtones. Maybe I am naive, but I did not find any racial overtones. So, I went back to watch the speech again to see if I missed something. I don't understand the fuss. I did not find the racial overtones, what I heard was a comparison of how we all as transgender people want the public to see us as we are, to have equal rights and opportunities, and for us to be accepted. I believe she was comparing the early civil rights movement with African Americans of the 1960′s, where they wanted and should have been accepted and had equal rights as they deserved, to the trans community striving to be accepted and have the equal rights that we deserve. I think when she said how can African Americans vote for bills and be outspoken against the rights that we fight for anti-discrimination, how can they do that after fighting the fight they fought to get those same rights. They know the fight to get equal rights, they know what its like to be oppressed. So, how can they be part of that oppression. As far as her saying that we are a part of every  tribe, she is right. Transgender people are every race, ethnicity, and from every country. Being transgender is non-discriminatory. It does not matter what race, ethnicity, or what country you are from. But yet, now we are one of the most discriminated against groups of people and face the most humiliation of any other group of people. So, I feel that she called us as transgender people and as a culture out for the discrimination and the oppression that we face. She states that even as successful as she is, it has been hard to be transgender for her, and she can only imagine the struggle and the fight that we go through with less opportunity and less support than what she has had. She is not bragging about her success, she is understanding the fight we go through and acknowledging that fact that it is harder for most than it was for her. I figure people will say you just agree with her because you are white, but that is not the case. She was just holding each and everyone of us accountable. Because transgender people are just as discriminating and judging against each other the same way other races or cultures, and we got called out on it. I believe those that are in a fuss have some jealousy because she is who she is, a white woman who has worked hard at her career and succeeded. I also believe that as a whole, our society is to sensitive, to politically correct, and does not want to hear the truth. I think that is why there is such a fuss. Should she have used a different analogy or example, maybe, but we have to quit being so sensitive and divisive to each other. This is how I interpreted her speech. If this is not the case please enlighten me, but please do it with respect.
  •  

copa74

Hey Jboggs! :) Could you please tell me where I can watch Lana's speech online? I've been desperately searching for it for hours, can't find anything... thanks!
  •  

Jboggs

Trans100.com then click on live stream. Her speech is at the end. I recommend watching tiq milan's speech as well.
  •  

suzifrommd

I agree, JBoggs. I think Wachowski was spot on and the reaction she has drawn is defensive and divisive. I share her anger at anti-LGBT oppression in communities that are fighting their own oppression.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

Jboggs

I'm glad someone else agrees. You are right that the reaction is defensive and divisive. It seems that is how people feel that is the only way to get reactions and conversations going about social issues. Reaction and action reflects leadership, and I feel we do not have good leadership as a country. But, with that being said it seems the progress we have gotten in the past couple of years as been the defensive/divisive reaction and has moved the transgender conversation forward. I would just like to see an all inclusive progress agenda and not base in it on race. We have enough of a battle as transgender people, no need to then add other factors to the equation.
  •  

frances_larina

Quote from: suzifrommd on April 05, 2015, 08:52:18 AM
...the reaction she has drawn is defensive and divisive.

Perhaps the Trans100 itself has become that way, if you look at what happened behind the scenes with the "takeover" and attempt to push out one of the founders, a TWOC...

•