Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Louis Theroux documentary

Started by Squircle, April 06, 2015, 02:22:03 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Squircle

Did anyone see the Louis Theroux documentary on transgender children? I thought it was really well done, he asked fair and balanced questions and always listened to what the children had to say. It's a shame that some of the online response has involved the usual shouting down of people's experiences but I hope this program helps educate a few people.
  •  

Rejennyrated

In usual student fashion I shall watch it later on iplayer, but if I like it that will be a first for programmes about this condition.

As you will be aware, though I had no access to medical support, and thus hit a temporary road bump at puberty, in many respects my own childhood in the 1960's and early 1970's was a prototype for this. I was allowed considerable freedom of gender expression at home and at school and chose what I think modern gender groups would describe as a demi-girl. It was close enough.

At 55, and now 3 decades happily fully transitioned and sugically corrected, I think I am probably living proof that the system works. So those that shout it down and say that the kids will be screwed up might need to explain how it is that, for not one but three of my career choices, I passed with flying colours through some pretty tough psychological screening to be selected. I mean once could be luck but...

This is the right way to treat us. It works and I'm affraid this is one of very few circumstances in life where I would say with absolute certainty that those who disagree or think differently are not only flat out wrong, but clearly haven't understood how this thing works at all.

Done right the whole basis of this is that at EVERY point up to the moment in late teens when irreversible surgery takes place you give the child every opportunity to consciously CHOOSE who they will become. Those that change their minds can drop out at any point with no penalty, and because they are doing no more at any point than being allowed to choose how they want to present, even if they do then drop out they don't suffer any hurt from it.

Those who don't change our minds however are saved from a lot of suffering and needless cruelty and pain. I've lived it. So in effect if you disagree with this what you are arguing is that all kids should be FORCED to coform to the gender expression that they are assumed to own whether they want to or not. The only pain I had in growing was in puberty when the lack of puberty blockers and medical support (until I reached the age of 21) did cause exactly that, and that was quite difficult, but I lived enough of the path to say "I know it works."
  •  

Squircle

Couldn't agree more. I think you will like the show, there's non of the misguided attempts at balance that lead to appearances from well known bigots for a start. And Louis puts the emphasis on what the children want. He does ask fairly blunt questions but always in that non confrontational way, and then he listens to the answers. He also avoids doing the voice over rebuttal you sometimes see in documentaries.

•  

Elis

I like his documentaries but have chosen not to watch this one as again it's about people realising they're trans at a really early age. For once I want a documentary that focuses on people who didn't realise until later on (late teens, 20s, 30s etc). If this documentary helps people then great, but it's not helpful to spread the misinformation that you're only truly trans if you knew when a child and not an adult.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•  

Squircle

Quote from: Elis on April 06, 2015, 07:56:51 AM
I like his documentaries but have chosen not to watch this one as again it's about people realising they're trans at a really early age. For once I want a documentary that focuses on people who didn't realise until later on (late teens, 20s, 30s etc). If this documentary helps people then great, but it's not helpful to spread the misinformation that you're only truly trans if you knew when a child and not an adult.

It didn't spread misinformation at all, it did feature some older transitioners and made no comment about who was 'truly trans', rather it tried to highlight that the way transgender children are treated is different nowadays to how it used to be.
  •  

orangejuice

I saw it. I thought it was pretty good. I was a little concerned at one point it was directing the viewer to a particular judgement but it didn't do that. In a way it was a pretty uninteresting documentary. It didn't challenge anything really or try to make any kind of intellectual point. It just said here are some kids that exist and here is how they feel. Which is good. Maybe that was the point of it. I do sort of sympathise with the above comment. There seems to be a trend in mainstream media to show documentaries or news articles focusing on kids. I mean its great that they are in a position to be helped and the easier it is for children in the future the better but in terms of breaking down the ignorance and stigma that society has towards what it means to be transgender, a documentary about older people would be far more useful, or one that compares the difference even.  Kids are always going to be seen as innocent and are never going to be judged by society in the way that an adult is.
  •  

Squircle

The coverage of transgender children and their treatment is often sensationalised and incorrect in its basic reporting. We have the opportunity to change the future for all trans people and its important that the wider society understand the truth of the situation. I don't understand why members of the trans community would want to point at this show and say 'that's not helping'. It is helping, it was a positive and sympathetic portrayal of trans people.
  •  

orangejuice

Not sure if that was directed at me or the above comment but ye it for sure helps. I was just commenting on what would help more.
  •  

Peep

Quote from: Elis on April 06, 2015, 07:56:51 AM

sorry to bump an old thread but there was a BBC scotland doco called Transsexual stories in august this year with some older transwomen (though no transmen ?? ) one of whom was early in her transition (pre-op). It wasn't quite as in depth as others have been - seemed quite light for curious cispeople... 
  •  

Ka_123

Always think Louis Theroux does such a great job in documentary making (Can't wait to see his Scientology one) only recently watched his one on transgender children, thought it was great, as the issue of transitioning early to some is so important and misunderstood by many as being damaging. lets hope there are more like this to come
  •  

Kylo

It's because he asks questions so neutrally and deadpan that it's only the voice and opinions of the interviewee that come through. He's able to get them to talk about things and reveal their thoughts without impressing much in the way of an agenda.

Not caught this one... it doesn't seem to be on Netflix even though a bunch of his other ones are.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

Elis

Quote from: Kylo on December 22, 2016, 08:17:27 PM
It's because he asks questions so neutrally and deadpan that it's only the voice and opinions of the interviewee that come through. He's able to get them to talk about things and reveal their thoughts without impressing much in the way of an agenda.

Not caught this one... it doesn't seem to be on Netflix even though a bunch of his other ones are.

It's probably on youtube. All his other documentaries have been uploaded onto there.
They/them pronouns preferred.

•