Susan's Place Logo

News:

Please be sure to review The Site terms of service, and rules to live by

Main Menu

Anyone else feel betrayed by Anne Lamott

Started by suzifrommd, June 14, 2015, 02:41:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

suzifrommd

I really like Anne Lamott's books. She was one of the first women's writers I read, back when my own womanhood was a distant wish. Her characters and situations were vivid and moving and I've tried to put some of that in my own fiction.

That's why I am especially disgusted and and furious about the comment she tweeted Wednesday in response to someone who objected when she misgendered a well-known former Olympic athlete who recently transitioned:

QuoteWill call him a she when the pee-pee is gone.

I will never read another book or story of hers. She's as entitled as anyone else to be ignorant and transphobic, but to use her position and respect as a prominent author to spread hate is evil.

Anyone else have a similar reaction?
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •  

FriendsCallMeChris

Wow! That doesn't sound at all like her, even to using a euphemism like that.  I've read her writing books and always enjoyed them, particularly Bird by Bird, although I've often wondered how she could afford to live such a lifestyle that seems to require no income.  I'm sad that one of the people I've admired for being 'on a higher plane', has fallen off her cloud in my eyes.
Chris
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: FriendsCallMeChris on June 14, 2015, 07:47:39 PM
Wow! That doesn't sound at all like her, even to using a euphemism like that.  I've read her writing books and always enjoyed them, particularly Bird by Bird, although I've often wondered how she could afford to live such a lifestyle that seems to require no income.  I'm sad that one of the people I've admired for being 'on a higher plane', has fallen off her cloud in my eyes.

Your comment on Bird by Bird is on the money. That was my major knock on Lamott (beforenow) - that her characters never seemed to have a source of income that could support their lifestyle.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •