Susan's Place Logo

News:

According to Google Analytics 25,259,719 users made visits accounting for 140,758,117 Pageviews since December 2006

Main Menu

Art help?

Started by kian, June 23, 2015, 08:04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kian

I'm having trouble with drawing hands.
What are good tips/resources that can help me improve?
  •  

MicheleGui

This was a big help for me when getting used to drawing hands:
http://img12.deviantart.net/6fae/i/2013/078/b/1/hand_and_fingers_resource_tutorial_by_conceptcookie-d5yk45j.jpg

Also, a tip: when drawing people with realistic proportions, remeber that the length of the hand is usually aproximate to the length of the face (bottom of the chin to top of the forehead.

Hugs~
  •  

Swayallday

I've just started with drawing and all that.
Currently I use Manga University or the "How to draw Manga" series.
If anything I have a few websites which I use to find ebooks.
Maybe you can use a few keywords there like "hand drawing"

ebooks.wtf

•  

Kylo

Lots of practice, as well as observing and sketching your own hands or a wooden artist's model hand from many angles.

A tutorial that contains a bunch of pre-drawn hands that you copy isn't going to help you understand properly how to visualize the shape of the hand in your mind as a 3d object that you can recall and draw at will. The aim of learning to draw hands should be to understand the shape and expression of them in space rather than to copy them or have only a basic recall of what they look like. This only really comes from examining the hand in different attitudes and drawing them from many angles until you understand what they're going to look like from almost any angle.

Art is my job (manga artist and sculptor) and I am still very much learning about hands after many years, so my advice is to start doing this asap. Sooner you start, the sooner you'll be ace at it.
"If the freedom of speech is taken away, then dumb and silent we may be led, like sheep to the slaughter."
  •  

QuincestuallyAurtastic

Quote from: Swayallday on August 19, 2015, 08:23:03 AM
I've just started with drawing and all that.
Currently I use Manga University or the "How to draw Manga" series.
If anything I have a few websites which I use to find ebooks.
Maybe you can use a few keywords there like "hand drawing"

ebooks.wtf

sorry to resurrect this old thread, I'm unable to private message due to newbie status, and I simply must say...
it is wonderful to see another Gunnm/Battle angel fan on here!

such good taste you have!
  •