News:

Visit our Discord server  and Wiki

Main Menu

Think I should have been born male :/

Started by ManInTheAngryChair, July 04, 2015, 12:36:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManInTheAngryChair

Hi,
I'm a 17 year old biological female, but recently I have been having serious thoughts about my gender. I've never been 'girly', I used to wear dresses when i was about 3 because my parents put me in them, but since the age of about 11/12, I haven't worn anything 'feminine', apart from womens jeans and underwear, as i don't think mens would fit  >:(.

I wear a sports bra and mens tshirts every day, but recently (about a month ago) there have been a few issues between my parents and me, which kickstarted this whole thing in the first place.

My mum brought me about 4 t shirts, because she was complaining I didn't have enough clothes ( i hate clothes shopping), but they were all fitted womens t shirts, so i told her they didn't fit and asked her to get me mens. (They fitted, but they were tight and clung to me, and i didn't feel comfortable in them).
She moaned about it, asking me 'why?', though i've brought mens shirts before, and then got them for me, and did'nt say anything else.

I thought the issue was forgotten, but then on my birthday, I made a stupid comment without thinking, and the 'rents brought the issue up again. The card from my parents was pink, and flowery and said 'daughter' on it, and i felt uncomfortable opening it for reasons i still don't want to think about.

Mum apologised, saying all the girls cards were pink, and i said (thinking purely about the colour scheme) ' you should have got me a boys one', as soon as i realised what i'd said, i added ' only that would say son on it'
Mum frowned at me, then 2 days later, dad came into my room, and bluntly asked if i 'felt like i was in the wrong body', bringing up the example of the shirts and card.

I denied it, saying mens clothes were comfier, and I was horrified they were jumping to conclusions.
But since then, I have been researching transmen, and I'm not really sure what my feelings over the years have been. :/
I've never really felt comfortable with my body, but since my dad mentioned it, my feelings have been getting worse, before, I ignored my chest, only really being uncomfortable if my shirt showed it, but now, I feel uncomfortable undressing, I want short hair even though it's really curly so would probably look awful, and i've realised i've never really felt comfortable with my name and pronouns. :/

(If I was born male, my parents would have called me Thomas, which is a name I feel comfortable being called, and was thinking I would like to be called before I asked my mum, which was both wonderful and terrible to know)

I don't know what to do, how to tell my parents and friends, or how to feel comfortable.
(Also, if I am trans, then I would be gay, but I sort of feel asexual, so there's that to tell my parents as well)

Anyone had any similar experiences, or any advice? :(

(Sorry for the essay, I just needed to tell someone, as I can't deal with it by myself anymore.)

•  

Mariah

Hi Thomas, welcome to Susan's. No worries, we all need to let is loose and tell our story. Nice save with the denial to her.  ;D I know I played the denial card to my mom a few times growing up too. I look forward to seeing you around the forums. Good luck and Hugs
Mariah

Things that you should read

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask me.
[email]mariah@susans.org[/email]
I am also spouse of a transgender person.
Retired News Administrator
Retired (S) Global Moderator
  •  

suzifrommd

Quote from: ManInTheAngryChair on July 04, 2015, 12:36:48 PM
I don't know what to do, how to tell my parents and friends, or how to feel comfortable.
(Also, if I am trans, then I would be gay, but I sort of feel asexual, so there's that to tell my parents as well)

Your parents have already raised the subject. The words they used, feeling like you were in the wrong body, denote a certain amount of understanding an acceptance. They've clearly heard about trans people.

There is no shame in being trans. A lot of trans people live happy, comfortable lives. You're not dooming yourself to chaos by being honest with people.

"I need to tell you that I'm transgender. Though I was assigned female at birth, I've been feeling like I might need to be male. I hope you'll help me figure it all out."

Please don't feel you need to hide what is going on with you to avoid problems. Your parents are there to help you, not you to help them. They're adults and are capable of dealing with whatever you tell them.

Quote from: ManInTheAngryChair on July 04, 2015, 12:36:48 PM

No need to sort out your sexual future. That will become clear to you when you need it to be.

Welcome, Thomas (if that's who you decide to be). This is a great place to find the answers you're looking for.
Have you read my short story The Eve of Triumph?
  •